Coach Jade Rawlings - sacked by NMFC w/ 2yr to run on contract

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Hopefully he's picked up a lot of knowledge on what not to do..

One finals series in 13 years as a career coach is something else. In fact it'd be hard to deliberately plan it that way.

Doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. The Dees offense was horrible in the second half of the year, couldn't kick a score.
Pretty tough gig to step into halfway through what was already a colossal dumpster fire of a season. It was basically a case of Goodwin tossing him a massive James Hird and saying "Have a go at polishing this mate".

I also don’t particularly like the family connection. Hard for Brady to be objective when reviewing his brother. I might have it wrong and that’s not Brady’s role. I know Brady’s professional but blurs the lines in my opinion.

it also makes it hard to shake the boys club image.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
it also makes it hard to shake the boys club image.

I don't think it's a nepotism appointment as such, the guy has been meaningfully employed at 3 other clubs.

But as above his alarming lack of connection to any successful organisation as a player or coach is curious.

Merging his playing and coaching careers: Jade Rawlings has been in the AFL system for 24 consecutive years and experienced 3 finals campaigns.

As I said, hope he's learnt what not to do because that's a huge amount of involvement with poorly performed clubs.

Pretty tough gig to step into halfway through what was already a colossal dumpster fire of a season. It was basically a case of Goodwin tossing him a massive James Hird and saying "Have a go at polishing this mate" I'm off to inject the good gear in the toilets and have a punt.

FTFY

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
I don't think it's a nepotism appointment as such, the guy has been meaningfully employed at 3 other clubs.

But as above his alarming lack of connection to any successful organisation as a player or coach is curious.

Merging his playing and coaching careers: Jade Rawlings has been in the AFL system for 24 consecutive years and experienced 3 finals campaigns.

As I said, hope he's learnt what not to do because that's a huge amount of involvement with poorly performed clubs.

not good at all, don't care how anyone tries to spin it. Success people create a success atmosphere, is he the best candidate for the job? Highly unlikely but could be a case of not being able to land the best?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
not good at all, don't care how anyone tries to spin it. Success people create a success atmosphere, is he the best candidate for the job? Highly unlikely but could be a case of not being able to land the best?

I'm a bit perplexed too as we've said.

What I will ask though is - who is "the best"?

As we saw with the senior appointments where clubs all just favoured known quantities, maybe there's just not much good coaching panel talent out there interested in leaving currently successful regimes?

I want to be clear - Jade doesn't present badly in anything I've seen and might end up a great acquisition. He's just got a very unsuccessful past from a team perspective.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Pretty tough gig to step into halfway through what was already a colossal dumpster fire of a season. It was basically a case of Goodwin tossing him a massive James Hird and saying "Have a go at polishing this mate".
Isn't that exactly what Shawy did with us??

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I also don’t particularly like the family connection. Hard for Brady to be objective when reviewing his brother. I might have it wrong and that’s not Brady’s role. I know Brady’s professional but blurs the lines in my opinion.
Yeah there may be some of that, time will tell.

The skeptic in me had the thought that maybe part of the reason Jade has been brought in, is to act on behalf of his brother until Brady can officially commence the role in Dec. i.e Brady calls the shots behind the scenes to Jade, and Jade executes..

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I find it is interesting he's midfield coach.

Our biggest weakness has been addressed first - big tick.
Just filling a role doesn't warrant a big tick. There's no evidence yet that it was the right appointment to be our midfield coach.

Isn't that exactly what Shawy did with us??
There's a big difference between getting the top job and the ability to directly influence the situation that comes with it as opposed to being one of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
I find it interesting that Shaw said that he quickly identified Jade as someone that he wanted to bring in as his senior assistant.

Has he worked in the same organisation as Jade before? If not, I wonder how he came to that decision. Perhaps he has really good references and is respected in coaching circles.

Just filling a role doesn't warrant a big tick. There's no evidence yet that it was the right appointment to be our midfield coach.

Identifying the key weakness early and moving to fill it deserves a big tick.

Agreed we don't know if Jade will be the right fit for it. Brady might be the wrong call as footy boss. Rhyce may be the wrong call as coach. LDU may have been the wrong call at pick 4.

My plan to walk home tonight rather than get the tram may be the wrong call if I get hit by a car that jumps onto the footpath.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
OK, so now we just need to get Heath Shaw and then we are sweet.
As some have mentioned, not a great deal of success at AFL level. So nothing to be overly excited about.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Coaching roles aren’t supposed to be exciting at the time, they’re supposed to be lauded in hindsight. 😎
I remember how execiting it was when St Kilda announced their Malcolm Blight coup. Also their Tim Watson coup.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Identifying the key weakness early and moving to fill it deserves a big tick.

Agreed we don't know if Jade will be the right fit for it. Brady might be the wrong call as footy boss. Rhyce may be the wrong call as coach. LDU may have been the wrong call at pick 4.

My plan to walk home tonight rather than get the tram may be the wrong call if I get hit by a car that jumps onto the footpath.
That's a totally random act, so not a great analogy.

Specific to this appointment of Jade though, we made an apparently informed decision to hire him as midfield coach, despite their being little redeeming evidence that he has the experience or aptitude to succeed at it.

Back