Coach Jade Rawlings - sacked by NMFC w/ 2yr to run on contract

Remove this Banner Ad

So this was the job for me, as long as I don't get a better one.

We sure can pick 'em.

Senior Coaching gigs only come around so often. No one could fault him applying.

The fact he did well is promising.
Of course it is. In what universe could our new assistant being highly rated at more than one other club and getting close to winning a senior role be considered bad news?

Not being facetious but he must be a great talker. Because as already mentioned, he has close to zero demonstrable success from a 25 year football career.
I know what you are saying, KC, but I don't think his playing career is relevant, and great talking is basically the job of coaching.

I know what you are saying, KC, but I don't think his playing career is relevant, and great talking is basically the job of coaching.

Agree re playing career to an extent but it is helpful to see who he played under to guess at what culture he might've been imbued with. Clarkson the obvious example, no team success as a player but was coached by Pagan and Balme who both had their strengths.

But my main focus is his coaching career. He's got a very Alan Richardson "finals go where he ain't" vibe to it so far.

You're right re talking / communication skills but then Bradley or Terry were both confident orators who were never winners at the business end of a season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it Jade Rawlings who was involved in the Lachie Neale deal? Like, I follow Lacie Neale on Strava & he follows me. The other day I rode around the Bungalow State Forest from the south side & I PB'd it into the wind. Lachie gave me Kudos for that. And I don't mind saying, it was thoroughly deserved because I really busted a gut. I'm in real form at the moment.

New senior assistant Jade Rawlings said he couldn’t have been more impressed by the young batch of kids at the Roos in his first weeks at North Melbourne.
He was emphatic yesterday that the Roos’ bruising contested style of play would be their brand after its success in Rhyce Shaw’s time in charge.

He said it was Shaw’s authenticity and passion
that won him over and saw him move from Melbourne, a decision not related to his brother Brady’s new role as head of footy.

The Roos’ clear priority is filling the hole left by retiring defender Scott Thompson, with Daw hoping to take that role after his breakout 2018 was stalled by a Bolte Bridge fall.

“Sam Durdin should really flourish now that Thompson has retired and I like him as a player. Majak in 2018 was becoming a really good defender. With Thompson we have got that opportunity and it will be interesting to see who grabs hold of it,” he said.

“Majak is still not required to return yet but I have seen him here over the last three weeks multiple times and he’s progressing well. He is moving freely and he has got a smile on his face so that’s the main thing.

“At Melbourne in 2018 we had to put a defensive forward on him to stop him marking the ball so that’s always a good reflection on your impact on the game.

“It’s taken a while to understand he can play consistent AFL footy but that little snapshot of 2018 continues to excite the people at the club.”

North Melbourne became a ferocious tackling side under Shaw, attacking the ball and man with an intent that saw rivals taken aback.

It was a statement of intent rather than a short-term emotional response.

“It is what we are going to be recognised for. It’s going to be our brand,” Rawlings said.

“Rhyce has been open, we put it on show in the second half of last year.

“It’s who we are and what we want to be so it’s how we train it and how we present it no matter what is thrown at it. We think it stands up in September so it’s why we are going to play that way.”

Rawlings said supporters should feel confident in the club’s long-term plan after it swapped its 2019 draft pick with Melbourne’s 2020 first-rounder in a deal that also netted the Demons’ 26 and 50 this year.

“The club was very strategic with the draft picks we have and how we are going to utilise those and the deal was a big deal with Melbourne but the strategy behind it was very well thought-out so I would encourage the North faithful to trust the management with the decision they have made. It’s very well planned and in the best interests of the footy club.”

"We think it stands up in September so it’s why we are going to play that way.”

Without wanting to let facts get in the way of a good yarn but in reality what we have observed that 'stands up in September' over the past few years is

- high level of skill across the park,
- precision in ball use,
- dominant, well balanced, skilled midfield
- desperate forward 50 pressure

The early training indicators suggest we are aiming to address the first 2 issues which is great - the third is our Achilles heel and must be addressed before we start thinking about anything else that may or may not 'stand up in September'.

Robbie looks like he's about to say, "Yeah....I'm gunna stop ya there Jade"
Kane looks like he's watching Jade's mouth but not listening.
Jed ain't even looking at him.
:cool:

I'm often all of those when Mrs. Horace is saying (quite) a few words. :)

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back