Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara 2021 (Rolling into year 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Buying shares in footballers based on potential for growth is such a risky business.

I hate the amount of value given to potential, we backed potential and kind of didn't get what we backed ourselves to get and having a bit each-way here I don't really think we got tremendously burnt here either. We paid what we had to in order to meet our commitment to a player that said get me to Hawthorn, in the end with hindsight it was more than what we should have but then what is the value of not keeping your word to such players?

Nice work Milkshaker :thumbsu:

You'd never do it again but it's a bit unfair on Jaeger to look at the trade in isolation.

The club's list strategy after 2016 was to phase out our veterans and bring a few ready made jets in to help Gunner, Shiels, Breust, Smith and Stratton lead the club to another tilt. It was a horrible mistake and will set us back years.

We should have tested the market to see what type of picks we'd have received for those guys as part of free agency compensation and loaded up on high picks once again, with Roughy, Hodge etc sticking around to guide them.

Can't complain too much though given the run we've had..

I will state this again. If JOM was afforded the luxury of sticking to one half of the field like Dusty he would be as influential. He busts a gut running defensively to cover the holes in our structure. He and shiels were spent at 3qtr time doing just that

lmao, if he was as influential as Dusty given that luxury, Clarko would not be wasting his time using him to cover holes in our structure.

Problem is who then fills those holes?

If you had a Dusty level game destroyer on the attacking side, you would work around that and figure out another way/strategy to cover holes, surely.

I like Jaeger, he has mostly decent games and the odd very good one. Won't be the AA we'd hoped we were getting but it is what it is.

He has been pretty good player, but not elite. Just need him to breed a couple of good father sons to help repay the faith. Without injury would have been a jet, so a good gene pool for his sons. Hope he marries an elite athlete :).

Its a bit of long game though!

I still have fellow Hawks mates trying to convince me he is A grade and going to fulfill his potential. I wish they were right but they are not. My O’Meara conversations with these delusional optimistic Hawks fans are some of my most frustrating conversations full stop. He is a solid midfield contributor but nothing more. He was not recruited to be a solid midfielder. He was recruited to be a midfield star. Recruiting fail any way you slice it.

I think it's fair to say we've paid a lot for him based on the return of raw on-field output. But he does bring leadership and sets standards on and off the field which are things that are less obvious to see and harder to evaluate fairly.

At the very least the cost has been somewhat mitigated by the fact that we did insanely well with our remaining picks. Mitch Lewis (pick 77), Hanrahan (pick 14 rookie), Cousins (pick 46 rookie). And we ended up scoring 2016 pick 7 talent Jack Scrimshaw a few years for very little anyway.

End of the day St Kilda made off like bandits at both our and Gold Coast's expense due to Gold Coast's (ie. Cochrane) desire to screw us around. The deal could have been done and dusted early with us paying far less and Gold Coast ultimately receiving more value, which then would have allowed both clubs time to further refine their draft hands and both walk away as winners.
Morrison the other. A great get in the end.

Buying shares in footballers based on potential for growth is such a risky business.

I hate the amount of value given to potential, we backed potential and kind of didn't get what we backed ourselves to get and having a bit each-way here I don't really think we got tremendously burnt here either. We paid what we had to in order to meet our commitment to a player that said get me to Hawthorn, in the end with hindsight it was more than what we should have but then what is the value of not keeping your word to such players?

Nice work Milkshaker :thumbsu:
I agree. As i said it was not to potshot Jaeger just some food for thought. I think our commitment to getting him was longstanding. We tried to get him over in a convoluted deal which the AFL vetoed when GCS were given priority access to him. The club honoured that commitment despite the nature of his injury.

Was that right or wrong?

If we had nailed some of the player we missed out on with those picks we would have different look for sure or we might have picked all the misses either side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's fair to say we've paid a lot for him based on the return of raw on-field output. But he does bring leadership and sets standards on and off the field which are things that are less obvious to see and harder to evaluate fairly.

At the very least the cost has been somewhat mitigated by the fact that we did insanely well with our remaining picks. Morrison (pick 74), Mitch Lewis (pick 77), Hanrahan (pick 14 rookie), Cousins (pick 46 rookie). And we ended up scoring 2016 pick 7 talent Jack Scrimshaw a few years for very little anyway.

End of the day St Kilda made off like bandits at both our and Gold Coast's expense due to Gold Coast's (ie. Cochrane) desire to screw us around. The deal could have been done and dusted early with us paying far less and Gold Coast ultimately receiving more value, which then would have allowed both clubs time to further refine their draft hands and both walk away as winners.

I'm not sure insanely well is the term I'd use just yet, all be it scrappy selections none of those 4 you mention are bonafide best 22 yet, although they have the potential to be best 22.

I do agree with the rest of what you say regarding the Saints and Suns etc.

Playing guys like O'Meara locks us into not being competitive come finals time. Whilst he is there we won't bring in or nurture kids that could be elite. Forget the price we paid. We're paying the price every week.

Curious to hear what kids on our list you think have elite potential in the middle ?

I look at the trade like this:

We paid for elite and we got an A grader. So yes, we over paid but not by as much as people like to think.

in my opinion, most of the issue relates to where the club thought our list was at compared to where it actually was. If JOM had of gone to Richmond and we’d end up with Prestia, he’d be the cream on top rather than trying to be the whole cake... and we’d be moaning about how we didn’t get the star we wanted.

I look at the trade like this:

We paid for elite and we got an A grader. So yes, we over paid but not by as much as people like to think.

in my opinion, most of the issue relates to where the club thought our list was at compared to where it actually was. If JOM had of gone to Richmond and we’d end up with Prestia, he’d be the cream on top rather than trying to be the whole cake... and we’d be moaning about how we didn’t get the star we wanted.

That's a pretty interesting point.

Is Jaeger an A grader though ? I still think more B+, but i do agree with the rest of your thought process and the point you're making overall.

That's a pretty interesting point.

Is Jaeger an A grader though ? I still think more B+, but i do agree with the rest of your thought process and the point you're making overall.
I have him as a solid B player with occasional (say 3 times a year) A/A+ games.

He hasn't been what we hoped and we overpaid but he has provided solid service and honestly we have made worse trades these last 5 years.

He is at the very least an absolute professional in how he goes about his footy and you can't ask for more than that really.

I'm not sure insanely well is the term I'd use just yet, all be it scrappy selections none of those 4 you mention are bonafide best 22 yet, although they have the potential to be best 22.

I do agree with the rest of what you say regarding the Saints and Suns etc.
It’s insane in the context that none of those players were taken before a pick in the 70’s and yet are still on the list now and are all genuine options to play each week and still have potential to grow into better players. Any club who entered a draft without a first or second round pick would kill to have that result.

I think this thread overlooks a key reason/strategy we took the risk on over paying on JOM and that was with Tom and JOM keeping us around the mark, we’d gain a FA or two to top us off for free, and make another play or two at a flag.

That was the strategy, and it came with risk of course.

If Jaeger(and Tom)joining us consequently meant Tom Lynch and Cogs joined as well then Bruest, Shiels, Bigboy, Gunston, Pop, Chip, Stratts, etc all add another flag to their bag.

But yes, we know Richmond rose from the depths and captured Lynch’s signature(who saw that coming in 2016?) and then the Giants threw everything at keeping Cogs.

I think this thread overlooks a key reason/strategy we took the risk on over paying on JOM and that was with Tom and JOM keeping us around the mark, we’d gain a FA or two to top us off for free, and make another play or two at a flag.

That was the strategy, and it came with risk of course.

If Jaeger(and Tom)joining us consequently meant Tom Lynch and Cogs joined as well then Bruest, Shiels, Bigboy, Gunston, Pop, Chip, Stratts, etc all add another flag to their bag.

But yes, we know Richmond rose from the depths and captured Lynch’s signature(who saw that coming in 2016?) and then the Giants threw everything at keeping Cogs.

Gill threw*

This is true and this is where we failed in Free Agency, although I'm not sure even if we added 2 key players via Free agency we'd be a flag team in the washup, further away than we initially expected even still.

Playing guys like O'Meara locks us into not being competitive come finals time. Whilst he is there we won't bring in or nurture kids that could be elite. Forget the price we paid. We're paying the price every week.

Bit silly....

I don’t think you can do this exercise without including the Tom Mitchell ins/out as well.

The reality is, we wouldn’t have gone overs on JOM had we gone significantly under on Tom. When you line them up together, it starts to make a lot more sense.

With that in mind, and also the good chance that JOM is next captain, if you were to say that in those trades would bring in a future captain and Brownlow medalist, you’d have to say that’s a win.

Last edited:
I still have fellow Hawks mates trying to convince me he is A grade and going to fulfill his potential. I wish they were right but they are not. My O’Meara conversations with these delusional optimistic Hawks fans are some of my most frustrating conversations full stop. He is a solid midfield contributor but nothing more. He was not recruited to be a solid midfielder. He was recruited to be a midfield star. Recruiting fail any way you slice it.
He's playing his current role pretty bloody well. You're correct - it's probably not making the most of his potential - but who else is gonna do it?

If he plays an attacking game against Richmond & gets 30+ with 2 goals then we lose that game by 10+ goals.

Would that make you guys happier with the cost of trade? For him to have better stats & us be a worse side*?

*he's here now, we can't undo time & ask that question from a 2016 perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back