Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara 2021 (Rolling into year 5)

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Also, JOM made his debut for us almost 4 years ago to the day. So I’d be saying 4 years, not 5....

Yeah good point, this is his 5th season but it's only 2 Rounds old. His debut game for us must have been the return of the convicted performance enhancers if my memory serves me correctly.

phreeze77

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It would of been very interesting how our side performed if we had been able to keep Sam Mitchell, Brad hill and Jordan Lewis with these guys ... 2017 would of been very interesting.

O‘meara has been a fail. He just hasn’t been able to live up to his early promise which is understandable with the injury. We took a gamble thinking we could get him back there.

There has been snippets , his class has shone through at times ... but his decision making and execution has been poor at times also.

SA HAWK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We paid hoping he'd become a top 20 player in the competition, but what we've ended up getting is a B grader that works really hard.

I like Jaeger and it isn't his fault, but sadly it hasn't worked out as we'd hoped.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

It was always a risk after 2 years off and the injury he had it hasn't paid off unfortunately.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I'm so glad we missed out on Coniglio in the end. Him and Jaeger are so similar. We'd still have a one-paced midfield with average foot skills but guys like Cousins and Howe would probably be delisted by now.

I'm not sure glad is the right word, Coniglio would still be improvement to our midfield and it isn't like we've put the money saved on him to good use.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
I'm not sure glad is the right word, Coniglio would still be improvement to our midfield and it isn't like we've put the money saved on him to good use.

Kelly next season 😉.

Yeah 'glad' perhaps wasn't the correct word. I just had no desire for us to acquire him at the end of 2019 so seeing him struggle since has almost felt like vindication of sorts.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
The 'overpay' was never for the actual O'Meara trade. Not much anyway.

The actual O'Meara trade was pick 10 and a 2017 second round pick for O'Meara. That's a bit steep but it's not shocking. Comparable trades in recent years have been made for Brad Hill, Paddy Ryder, Jarred Polec, Chad Wingard, Steven May. A bit more was given up for guys like Neale, Lever, Gibbs and Kelly.

What made the trade poor value in the end (and Wright even acknowledged they paid more than he was worth at the time) was acquiring that pick 10. Gold Coast would have been much better off if they just took what Hawthorn had to give up for pick 10, but they were stubborn in wanting a first for that year.

We gave up our 2017 first round pick, and picks 23 and 36 for pick 10. We had just finished top 4 but missed the 8 and that first rounder ended up better than 10 anyway, on top of a couple seconds.

The other thing that hurts in the whole deal is that the pick 23 was our whole compensation for the Brad Hill trade. He was worth a fair bit more than that.

So if you trace the origins and results of everything, it was:

IN: O'Meara, 2016 pick 68 (like 25% of Jarman Impey)
OUT: Brad Hill, 2016 pick 36 (Josh Battle), 2017 picks 7 (Hunter Clark) and 26 (Liam Ryan)

As others said, there was a clear strategy to aim for the 2019-21 period with some free agents but it didn't happen. Players got injured. Cyril retired. Our 2017 made the trade look worse than it was.

In the end, the likely result of un-doing the O'Meara trade would be adding a strong B+ player and a couple of B-C graders in a good age range at his expense. Maybe don't end up adding Grainger Barras or Will Day. It's not a catastrophe.

RoughysMullet

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At the time of the trade Jaeger could of been anything- he was an obvious risk with the injuries but the potential was there for him to be a top 10 player in the competition and we believed we could get him there...

Unfortunately as of now it looks as though the trade hasn’t payed off..
The injuries have taken a toll- in particular his kicking action has been affected which has really hurt his game..

Last edited:

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For the medical and fitness team=win

For Jaeger=win

For the HFC= small win (he did finish top 3 in the b+f)

For Hawks fans= break even/loss (We were hoping for game breaking star, we got a solid soldier.)

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Presently our two best mids were acquired in the same draft. I shudder to think where we would be right now as a side. I’m guessing Gunston and Breust would have moved on. No wingard. Maybe even some of the other lessor lights don’t join us such as frost, hartigan, Phillips etc. we could well be north...

I’m disappointed things haven’t worked out better to date but I’m not uncomfortable with having used trades to bring in our two best mids.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Presently our two best mids were acquired in the same draft. I shudder to think where we would be right now as a side. I’m guessing Gunston and Breust would have moved on. No wingard. Maybe even some of the other lessor lights don’t join us such as frost, hartigan, Phillips etc. we could well be north...

I’m disappointed things haven’t worked out better to date but I’m not uncomfortable with having used trades to bring in our two best mids.
I've always thought this. Imagine our midfield and club without these 2.
We were falling off the biggest cliff ever. We would've gone to the draft, had a team of kids, and copped 100 point thrashings one after the other. For who knows how long.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My only gripe with O'Meara is that he has a tendency to fade for an entire quarter. I don't know why that is but using his injury as an excuse is a cop out. If he was being managed he either wouldn't be playing or he'd be going at a steady pace for an entire game.

I'm not expecting him to be smashing it every minute but he needs to find a way to get back involved in the game when he isn't getting the ball.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've always thought this. Imagine our midfield and club without these 2.
We were falling off the biggest cliff ever. We would've gone to the draft, had a team of kids, and copped 100 point thrashings one after the other. For who knows how long.
I'd redo the O'Meara trade in a heart beat for this exact reason. His off field leadership in particular has been a highlight in terms of driving training standards.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My only gripe with O'Meara is that he has a tendency to fade for an entire quarter. I don't know why that is but using his injury as an excuse is a cop out. If he was being managed he either wouldn't be playing or he'd be going at a steady pace for an entire game.

I'm not expecting him to be smashing it every minute but he needs to find a way to get back involved in the game when he isn't getting the ball.
Agree. And whenever he's rotated fwd it's worse. He simply can't impact as a fwd.

Mar 6, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We overpayed. I can see why some people rate JOM, he's a 'solid mid'. Personally, I don't think he's in the top 15 mids in the comp, sits somewhere 16-25 range for me.

If he is driving standards off the field and in training then that is good. There are better Captaincy options than JOM.

SA HAWK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Maybe we have Matt Rowell or Noah Anderson running around for us who knows.

The Mitchell trade was a masterstroke but we knew what we were getting can't say the same about O'Meara.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To those saying the trade has been a bust: how?
As far as I can tell no club who was involved with these selections has gone on to win a flag and I'd say we're only half way through JOM's career with us meaning he has plenty of time to 'pay us back' in this trade.
Sidenote: I don't think JOM owes the club anything for the trade- no player does for a trade. Clubs pay what they think the person is worth within reason- no club pays three first rounders for a player they don't think is worth that.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe we have Matt Rowell or Noah Anderson running around for us who knows.

The Mitchell trade was a masterstroke but we knew what we were getting can't say the same about O'Meara.
Yeah it’s a pointless hypothetical. If we took a different route, we’d have had a different approach to multiple drafts. Who knows what we’d look like now. We probably wouldn’t have won a final in the last five years (which we haven’t anyway) but we might be a lot closer to winning one now if we had taken a proper hand to several drafts (especially 2018)

We had a bold strategy to continue contending after our flags. That strategy involved raiding expansion clubs. It involved O’Meara being a superstar and landing free agents. It didn’t work and we have gone 5 years without winning a final. We took some risks and they didn’t land. It happens

Last edited:

big_rig

Debutant
Aug 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We overpayed. I can see why some people rate JOM, he's a 'solid mid'. Personally, I don't think he's in the top 15 mids in the comp, sits somewhere 16-25 range for me.

If he is driving standards off the field and in training then that is good. There are better Captaincy options than JOM.

Like jaegar but no way he is in the top 25 mids.

Back