Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara 2021 (Rolling into year 5)

We played one on one today. All over the ground as i mentioned in this thread last week. If jom aint covering for players and defending he will get his 30+ only to be howled down watch the game more carefully. He was nearly the difference

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
honestly, I was pretty impressed with Titch's game

I thought he worked super hard and managed to eventually get involved against a guy who grabs, pushes and blocks every contest and completely negated the reigning brownlow medallist last week

JOM immense. Like the Richmond game last year. He really plays well when someone else is doing the defensive work.
Yeah Titch is getting back - it takes a long time after having your leg snapped (trust me I know) but by * Worps needs to learn to block, tackle, and be a team man - but he's out of form and when you're out of form you think of yourself; you can see how frustrating it is for him personally. He has to learn that to get back into form maybe the best way is too work for a teammate first- and he can't do that from the HHF. That's what I just don't understand from the coaches.

Shiels is back and that helps, but as sad as it is it's short term help - if that makes sense. Better Shiels played across the HFF then Worps.

But the test is can O'Meara with his injuries, play like that next week? If he can't then don't play him - I forgive him. I'd prefer that O'Meara every other week then the can't back it up O'Meara because of injury every week.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
Yeah Titch is getting back - it takes a long time after having your leg snapped (trust me I know) but by fu** Worps needs to learn to block, tackle, and be a team man - but he's out of form and when you're out of form you think of yourself; you can see how frustrating it is for him personally. He has to learn that to get back into form maybe the best way is too work for a teammate first- and he can't do that from the HHF. That's what I just don't understand from the coaches.

Shiels is back and that helps, but as sad as it is it's short term help - if that makes sense. Better Shiels played across the HFF then Worps.

But the test is can O'Meara with his injuries, play like that next week? If he can't then don't play him - I forgive him. I'd prefer that O'Meara every other week then the can't back it up O'Meara because of injury every week.

Shiels was awesome today

Worpel was dreadful. Does he need a spell? I'm all for giving him a week or two at Box Hill because he's young enough to figure it out but not sure if Cousins is really a better option

anyway, this thread is for JOM and he was ******* awesome. Whoever said he isn't top 25 mids in the comp might be right, but when he plays like this he's pushing top 10-15.

Was absolutely massive today. 34 touches, 17 of those contested, 13 clearances and 5 tackles.

Hopefully Wingard will be that dynamic midfielder by his side

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He absolutely did. I'd almost argue it was his best game in Brown and Gold, certainly that I can remember.

Yet last week he looked cooked and slow.

Very Strange.
Not really strange - having injuries like that are impossible to tell how you go from day to day - let alone high intensity professional footy.

Their is another reason why you can be slow as one week, but good as gold the next week, but i ain't posting it on here and he should know about it and abstain from it.

All I'll say is listen to Cassius Clay's interview about doing something the night before fighting..............

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
He wasnt he was stuffed chasing ppl around the ground
I did consider that, given Mitchell was tagged he didn't have to chase his player defensively. As his player was generally near him, just ran off him at the last minute. Whereas against Richmond with the non tag that player ran off and he like Shiels tried to pick him up.

So what do people want now?

He's doing his job. He was excellent today.
Probably just to keep doing what he did today on an ongoing basis. But to be fair to him, as others have pointed out, when his teammates aren't pulling their weight defending he picks up the slack and it prevents him from being the attacking weapon he showed today.

Probably just to keep doing what he did today on an ongoing basis. But to be fair to him, as others have pointed out, when his teammates aren't pulling their weight defending he picks up the slack and it prevents him from being the attacking weapon he showed today.
Was a monster today. 13 clearances. Wow. Loved his game.
And this is why we got him. Knee jerk reactions are fantastic. Reality is this is what we got him for. He's delivering.

I've said in the past I've marked him too hard. I watched him far more objectively today & there is no doubt he delivers. And he delivers what we need.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure about that, in fact I don't think that's ever happened when they've played together. Today O'Connor was tagging Mitchell.

In the past we've seen several teams tag or at least send a minder to Mitchell.

There has been plenty of times where Mitchell was initially tagged but was forced to tag O’Meara when he starts to get going.

On his game, he is our best mid. Just needs to do it on a consistent basis.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure about that, in fact I don't think that's ever happened when they've played together. Today O'Connor was tagging Mitchell.

In the past we've seen several teams tag or at least send a minder to Mitchell.
Happened a lot last year. Happened to him in Mitchell’s absence in 2019 also. Often they put a tight marking player at the stoppages rather than a full ground tag. His opponent seldom has an intent for the ball. Today he was matched against Selwood most of the time so had no such issues getting space as Selwood was pretty focused on the ball.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
There has been plenty of times where Mitchell was initially tagged but was forced to tag O’Meara when he starts to get going.

On his game, he is our best mid. Just needs to do it on a consistent basis.

Not sure which games you are referring to. Don't take my post as some sort of shot at JOM, I've been his biggest fan on here.

However the hard tags - Steele, Hewett, O'Connor, De Boer, etc have all been sent to Mitchell.

JOM was tagged a lot during Worpel's 2019 break out year.

Sep 22, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Roys SFA
Not really strange - having injuries like that are impossible to tell how you go from day to day - let alone high intensity professional footy.

Their is another reason why you can be slow as one week, but good as gold the next week, but i ain't posting it on here and he should know about it and abstain from it.

All I'll say is listen to Cassius Clay's interview about doing something the night before fighting..............

Sounds like that's pretty discredited...

Back