Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara 2021 (Rolling into year 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

It almost feels like if one player is on, the rest just sit back and watch. Maybe our mids could work harder bringing each other in the game?

If its simply a form issue then it is up to the player, their direct coach and medicos to get them playing at their best.
Its a little bit more complicated even when they led to the ball they weren't good enough to get separation or were led to the ball by their opponent as their opponents anticipated the play down field better than our forwards did. Poor dylan moore led several times at the ball only for the ball to be knocked away from him by his opponent. When they did get separation we missed the kicks unfortunately

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our mids handball sideways, rather than kick it deep inside 50, even to space. give the forwards a 50/50 chance at least. Instead they butcher kicks inside 50, entries are way too slow. opposition mids fall back and fill space in d50, and because entries are shallow, they rebound it easily and our backs are under the pump again.
I think this is a timing thing: because we aren't a set play team out of the middle our forwards have to react to how we get the ball out and attack based on that as opposed to cutting to a default spot.
Back in 2018 we would get the ball wide, then have our forwards lead to the pockets which enabled us to get the ball into space that we were proactively attacking. Now, when we approach the game the same way we are more reacting which makes the contest far more even.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Why would you bother leading to O'Meara? Worp hit Ollie with a nice flat kick in the first quarter. O'Meara simply cannot hit that sort of ball. His decision-making also leaves a lot to be desired.

He and Mitchell are the two most selfish footballers I have seen at Hawthorn. Their first option is to get rid of the footy regardless of where it goes, rarely do either take a tackle.

Why would you bother leading to O'Meara? Worp hit Ollie with a nice flat kick in the first quarter. O'Meara simply cannot hit that sort of ball. His decision-making also leaves a lot to be desired.

He and Mitchell are the two most selfish footballers I have seen at Hawthorn. Their first option is to get rid of the footy regardless of where it goes, rarely do either take a tackle.
Lol mate are you serious about not taking the tackle. Clearances are done in traffic and most of the time in a tackle. JOM leads our team by a country mile

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That is very unfair. Limited with the ball in hand, yes. Selfish, no. He has been the pick of our midfielders this season. His work at the clearances has been very good.

Dec 22, 2007
Torquay
AFL Club
Hawthorn
See now you took the bait.
I just shook my head & moved on from this comment
Lol mate are you serious about not taking the tackle. Clearances are done in traffic and most of the time in a tackle. JOM leads our team by a country mile

On LM-G810 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Currently 2nd in the comp for clearances and centre bounce clearances.
You know what is also impressive about those stats is the fact it has come against quality opposition. So much for the cost in draft picks for what is fast becoming our midfield gun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The one who had a poor defensive game yesterday was Howe visually He just couldn't keep up with the wingman he was playing on number 15 I think.
I think it is time to play him inside and either put Shiels outside or bring in Downie. We really, really, really, need a big body in the guts to create space for our ball winners. Last time we played finals we had him blocking and bullocking for titch. It worked. it might not be the end game but lets see how we go with some size at stoppages.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1618831193297.png

The orange dot is O'meara. A DE of 75% is pretty good overall but a DE of 75% for someone who wins 44.1% of possessions in a contest is elite. The outlier above him is Zac Butters - what a gun he is! There are only four players in the top 20 disposal getters with higher DE (McCray, Dunkley, Walsh and Guthrie), all of whom get less than 40% of possessions in a contest. O'meara is an elite user of the ball this year for the type of player he is. I have noticed he is making good decisions and getting more balanced when kicking. His hands are excellent. All player miss targets sometimes but O'meara has excelled this year relative to his peers.

Above is limited to players averaging 20+ disposals and who have played four or more games.

At least you guys aren't wasting your time watching the games.
is this meant to be ironic?

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone actually potting O’meara with the year he is having is a loser.

Even ignoring his ability/performance (which had been great). His character and leadership is clearly of the highest order.
I half regret commenting on this thread again after the Dees game. I would have thought more supporters would be happy with how he is playing. People just want to be miserable I suppose.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Anyone actually potting O’meara with the year he is having is a loser.

Even ignoring his ability/performance (which had been great). His character and leadership is clearly of the highest order.

Maybe a loser in the pompous stakes.

I say he burns the footy and he is a terrible decision maker so the reasoned, unironic conversation is all about him winning clearances. Why engage at all? What is it that disallows some from following a fairly straightforward discussion line.

Clarko has banged on about lacking polish. I agree with him as does the scoreboard, as does his score involvements.

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I say he burns the footy and he is a terrible decision maker so the reasoned, unironic conversation is all about him winning clearances. Why engage at all? What is it that disallows some from following a fairly straightforward discussion line.

Clarko has banged on about lacking polish. I agree with him as does the scoreboard, as does his score involvements.
You are welcome to criticise players or add to the discussion. It’s just weird to be taking shots at one of if not our best performing players this year. His possessions have been far better this year. Could it still be better? Sure.

I’d rather see our other mids lift first before I take another look at what O’Meara could be doing more.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

You say he burns the ball, the stats say otherwise.

He is having a brilliant season so far. It baffles me that someone who has watched the games would say otherwise.

We have a dysfunctional forward line. Hardly the fault of JOM.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

Because there is probably half a dozen inside mids that are elite users of the ball... Maybe

He is not perfect, he has flaws but if you think

28 touches, 8 clearances 12 contested is poor you are objectively wrong.

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jags has most definitely gone into beast mode and carrying the midfield.
He does burn the ball now and then but really, when he is getting FA help from his teammates around a stoppage it is to be expected.
Howe needs to slide inside at the expense of Shiels to get some blocks on for him to get some easier ball.
Go back to 2019 when we strung a few wins together and we had Jags, Worps and Howe sharing the heavy lifting with Howe tagging and making blocks. He opens up the outside lanes for Wingard, Breust and this year Moore and Morrison to hit up targets inside 50.

Jags simply does it all at the moment. Without him in the side we would be a laughing stock and be 0-4 with a % rate to make North look like a top 4 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back