Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara: 4 more years.

Remove this Banner Ad

People are being ridiculously precious about accurate suggestions that Jaeger is not in the Fyfe, Cripps, Martin, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Kelly class.

He’s a very good player. And a great character / leader who may well captain the club soon. How is that seen as a negative?

There are better midfielders in the comp and if Coniglio comes to Hawthorn, there will be 2 better at Hawthorn. And if Worpel develops significantly there could be three. That’s a great thing, not a bad thing.

People are being ridiculously precious about accurate suggestions that Jaeger is not in the Fyfe, Cripps, Martin, Dangerfield, Mitchell, Kelly class.

He’s a very good player. And a great character / leader who may well captain the club soon. How is that seen as a negative?

There are better midfielders in the comp and if Coniglio comes to Hawthorn, there will be 2 better at Hawthorn. And if Worpel develops significantly there could be three. That’s a great thing, not a bad thing.

Agree on all fronts with your post..

I think the discussion around the Jags output and his standing is relevant though, it probably has impacted the fact we really need another elite mid hence going hard at Cogs. I am not at all disappointed with Jags, I probably expected what he is delivering.

He’s an outside ******* midfielder. He’s not there to win his own ball or be at the bottom of the pack. Remember when it didn’t matter in the slightest that he wasn’t the hardhead, tackling midfielder because we had an abundance of those?

If we have a midfield contingent of Shiels, O’Meara, Mitchell, Worpel and Coniglio - do you really think it’s going to make two s**ts of difference how many hard ball gets an elite outside mid with impeccable delivery inside 50 is getting?

Next you’ll be telling me that Sicily is no good now because he doesn’t kick many goals.

Clarko's no good either - when was the last time he got more than 10 touches in a game?

(walls don't count)

Yep totally agree. The New York Knicks in the NBA have the same problem with their owner and they haven't tasted success in decades. Culture no matter the sport or working environment is oh so important from the top down.
Please stop, been a massive Knicks fan my entire life, and Jim Dolan and his to day to day handling of the Knicks is borderline misconduct. Sell the team

So he has about a 90+% chance of still dominating games even with a tag? 2 or maybe 3 out of 24 games he played he struggled a bit. I get what you’re saying but it really proves my point.
Agreed, he dominated all bar a few games but in so many of them, he didn't get tagged at all. It was TOM v someone who couldn't get their hands on it, couldn't spread as hard, run both ways as often. TOM is a gun but like all mids, struggles sometimes when given a hard tag. The guys who do this over the past 15 years are all plodders who gave very little to nothing offensive to their team and why Clarko doesn't utilise such players often.

Jaeger may be a level below TOM, like most mids in the comp, but I can see him improving again next season to become the GT3 of our midfield. All around excellence, offensive and defensive, all over the ground. His coming preseason will be his Dynatune to work out where to get the best performance out of his body.

So incredibly unprofessional to be trotting out these sour grapes two years later, and publicly questioning the integrity of someone who busted his gut for your team for four years. I mean what kind of message does it send to the other players. What a prize nob.

Agree, bizarre comments really. I mean what does Cochrane hope to achieve with this, and of course Barrett gladly provided the platform.
I mean can you imagine Peter Hudson going public tomorrow with; '"Dermott is one that was personally disappointing because he looked me in the eye and said he was staying"....

As ive said before Jom will be the player he could have been but it will be late at when he's 28-29, in the meantime he's carrying our midfield and yes Mitchell did a better job carrying it last year but in the end it doesn't matter as you;'re getting nowhere with a midfield that needs carrying by 1 or 2 guys.

also Clarko likes it when a player isbeing tagged out of the game that they sacrifice their game for others

Judging by today's events, Cochrane should be bothering to take a look at their culture before potting anyone who wants to leave their club.

I wonder if it’s possible that Cochrane was trying to distract attention away from the drug suspension his team faces?

No, no, no, there is absolutely no way he would do this!

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if it’s possible that Cochrane was trying to distract attention away from the drug suspension his team faces?

No, no, no, there is absolutely no way he would do this!

;)
I don't think he's that smart, he's just being a tosser, always was, always will be. Perhaps one of the Suns biggest problems.

As ive said before Jom will be the player he could have been but it will be late at when he's 28-29, in the meantime he's carrying our midfield and yes Mitchell did a better job carrying it last year but in the end it doesn't matter as you;'re getting nowhere with a midfield that needs carrying by 1 or 2 guys.

also Clarko likes it when a player isbeing tagged out of the game that they sacrifice their game for others
I wonder if Mitchell would have won a Brownlow without Jaeger in there. I personally doubt it. Even individual awards are effected by your team mates.

Some interesting stats that reflect the changes in Jaeger's game from last year to this year, and also from GC to Hawthorn:

Average clearances this year: 6.2
Previous career average: 4.3

Disposal efficiency this year: 61%
Previous career average: 70%

Average clangers this year: 5.1
Previous career average: 3.1

Contested marks this year: 1
Contested marks in 2014: 10

Running bounces this year: 1
Running bounces in 2013: 22

Average inside 50s this year: 3.6
Average inside 50s 2014: 4.9

My thoughts, for what they're worth:
Jaeger has been called on to play a predominantly inside role this season. It's the easy explanation for such a significant drop in disposal efficiency compared to just last year (a drop of 10% from a comparable number of disposals). To the naked eye, it looks to me as though he's lost a lot of confidence in his kicking and his ability to put the jets on.

I'm not here to pot him in any way, but I would pose this: Jaeger's role must change next year. If believe his knee is not holding him back, and if the club agree then they have to give him the space to run, to create and to leap when he's around the ball.

Of course every player should be doing exactly what the club needs, and it's a given that we needed him in the centre circle after we lost Mitchell. But for that I'm critical of the club not recruiting another inside mid last year. An easy pickup like Jarryd Lyons would've given Jaeger, Shiels and Worpel a lot of relief (not to mention giving us a good chance in september). I believe that in order to win our next flag we will need Jaeger to live up to his enormous potential. We recruited him from GC and paid through the nose because of his exquisite skills and his electrifying pace.

I know the 'cogs' of midfield change are already in motion: Mitchell will be back of course, along with other prospects that Clarko and others have alluded to. Would the coaches consider a move to the wing for O'Meara?

Interesting re disposal efficiency particularly. I noticed one play today where both he and chad broke from the middle. JOM has the ball, and Chad was running alongside, just a little in front, calling for it.

JOM didn’t pass, rather kept running then booted it into the 59 directly to a west coast player. Personally
I would have thought he should have given it off to Chad, who is a much better user of the ball.

Some interesting stats that reflect the changes in Jaeger's game from last year to this year, and also from GC to Hawthorn:

Average clearances this year: 6.2
Previous career average: 4.3

Disposal efficiency this year: 61%
Previous career average: 70%

Average clangers this year: 5.1
Previous career average: 3.1

Contested marks this year: 1
Contested marks in 2014: 10

Running bounces this year: 1
Running bounces in 2013: 22

Average inside 50s this year: 3.6
Average inside 50s 2014: 4.9

My thoughts, for what they're worth:
Jaeger has been called on to play a predominantly inside role this season. It's the easy explanation for such a significant drop in disposal efficiency compared to just last year (a drop of 10% from a comparable number of disposals). To the naked eye, it looks to me as though he's lost a lot of confidence in his kicking and his ability to put the jets on.

I'm not here to pot him in any way, but I would pose this: Jaeger's role must change next year. If believe his knee is not holding him back, and if the club agree then they have to give him the space to run, to create and to leap when he's around the ball.

Of course every player should be doing exactly what the club needs, and it's a given that we needed him in the centre circle after we lost Mitchell. But for that I'm critical of the club not recruiting another inside mid last year. An easy pickup like Jarryd Lyons would've given Jaeger, Shiels and Worpel a lot of relief (not to mention giving us a good chance in september). I believe that in order to win our next flag we will need Jaeger to live up to his enormous potential. We recruited him from GC and paid through the nose because of his exquisite skills and his electrifying pace.

I know the 'cogs' of midfield change are already in motion: Mitchell will be back of course, along with other prospects that Clarko and others have alluded to. Would the coaches consider a move to the wing for O'Meara?
He doesn't nearly have the tank to play as a wingman & his knee would blow up if he covered that kind of distance.

I agree with your point, that JO'M has had to play Inside Mid this year in Mitchell's absence & that this has impacted his game; however, I'm not as quick to jump on the club for not recruiting another Inside Mid to assist.

I agree, a free-hit such as Lyons* would have been great (especially in hindsight) but we brought in Wingard - a 70/30 mid - a player heaps more talented than Lyons (no disrespect to him - he's having a great year) & far more dynamic.

Mitchell + Cogs + Finn + Top 10 Pick into 2020's midfield should ease some concerns!

*There was something very weird about the de-listing of Lyons (whilst under contract?) & his popping up down the road a short while later.

He doesn't nearly have the tank to play as a wingman & his knee would blow up if he covered that kind of distance.

I agree with your point, that JO'M has had to play Inside Mid this year in Mitchell's absence & that this has impacted his game; however, I'm not as quick to jump on the club for not recruiting another Inside Mid to assist.

I agree, a free-hit such as Lyons* would have been great (especially in hindsight) but we brought in Wingard - a 70/30 mid - a player heaps more talented than Lyons (no disrespect to him - he's having a great year) & far more dynamic.

Mitchell + Cogs + Finn + Top 10 Pick into 2020's midfield should ease some concerns!

*There was something very weird about the de-listing of Lyons (whilst under contract?) & his popping up down the road a short while later.
I respect both those points if they are true, I'm not an expert on his GPS numbers or his knee. I'm not even sold on the wing being the right position, especially with his ability to tackle being such a highlight. Perhaps the forward line is a better possibility. Reading a lot now about his years at the suns. Described by midfield coach Matt Primus as "our best inside 50 kick in the team, along with Ablett".

Maybe this whole issue will naturally resolve itself in time, with our midfield bolstered and maybe some good mates arriving to the club, another year past his injury. I wonder as well how much the Cochrane interview got to him. I willwatch keenly next year, anyway.

I believe that how quickly we can get the best out of Jaeger, Mitchell and Wingard will determine how quickly we can challenge.

He has the tank, he's had multiple games over the past two years where he has been in the top 5 on the ground for distance covered

With Mitchell back in and hopefully the acquisition of Cogs, it will allow JOM to get more time on the outside. This will increase his disposal numbers and efficiency.

How good is it to see him playing pretty much every week and being an A-grader. Can't wait for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back