Player Watch Jaeger O'Meara: 4 more years.

Come on fellas. Splicing genetics to create future FS prospects is something you think the injectors would do.

Anyways if we'd want to create a super human AFL player then I'd go with a Samantha Kerr / Jaeger O'Meara combo. The kid doesn't have to be pretty just be able to get the ball and kick goals. Fairs fair though and if they were to have a girl then the Eagles get first dibs but if it's a boy then Hawthorn it is :moustache:
Eagles wouldn't get an option either way. Perth glory on the other hand ...

ClarkoCommandos

Debutant
May 6, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just go ahead and make him Captain now.
Might be an unpopular opinion but I don't ever wanna see this guy as captain. Tommy over him any day he bleeds for the club far more than this guy. Unfortunately he is unable to play through little niggles that has cost us eg semi final and now round 4. We are paying a lot for a guy who just doesn't play enough

Kinghts 24

Senior List
Apr 28, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Might be an unpopular opinion but I don't ever wanna see this guy as captain. Tommy over him any day he bleeds for the club far more than this guy. Unfortunately he is unable to play through little niggles that has cost us eg semi final and now round 4. We are paying a lot for a guy who just doesn't play enough

Geez that's harsh, he played 21 games last year and missed with a corkie last week.

Most others with an injury like JOM had in 2015 and '16 (ruptured patella tendon) would have hung up the boots and never played again.

I reckon JOM is as committed and tough as they come.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Unable to play through niggles? Did you miss the North game where he copped that injury early on and still lead us back after being 4-5 goals down with 32 disposals, 12 tackles and 10 clearances. He did that while injured.

The guy is Hawthorn through and through. His value was only going to go up the longer he remained on the park and reminding people how good he is, he chose to sign now instead of trying to hold us to ransom. Well liked from the playing group, is great with the fans and is a true tough leader on the field. Tom is a great option as well (as many others are) but it is not fair to question what Jaeger goes through each week to get up for games.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unable to play through niggles? Did you miss the North game where he copped that injury early on and still lead us back after being 4-5 goals down with 32 disposals, 12 tackles and 10 clearances. He did that while injured.

The guy is Hawthorn through and through. His value was only going to go up the longer he remained on the park and reminding people how good he is, he chose to sign now instead of trying to hold us to ransom. Well liked from the playing group, is great with the fans and is a true tough leader on the field. Tom is a great option as well (as many others are) but it is not fair to question what Jaeger goes through each week to get up for games.
Correct.

It’s the medicos and physios that want him managed. I’m sure he’s saying he’s right to go each week. At to be fair, it’s smart management with what he’s been through.

Either would make a great captain.

Now to get his best mate over to make up the trinity!

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
Correct.

It’s the medicos and physios that want him managed. I’m sure he’s saying he’s right to go each week. At to be fair, it’s smart management with what he’s been through.

I'd prefer we manage him as he is all class. I shake my head watching Sydney play Buddy when he clearly isn't right

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Correct.

Yep we all know at Hawthorn we don't do co-captains but maybe we could start of a new trend of tri-captains TOM JOM COG. Kind of sounds like a Chinese tennis player :)

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I'd prefer we manage him as he is all class. I shake my head watching Sydney play Buddy when he clearly isn't right

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Exactly correct. I'm not sure how many of you follow the NBA but perfect example of why you manage players is what has recently happened to Golden State's starting centre DeMarcus Cousins. The guy who had his previous season wiped out due to tearing his left Achilles tendon was having his minutes ramped up in the playoffs and the other day tore his left quadriceps tendon. I'm not saying they mismanaged him but more so that players that have had serious injuries need to be managed so they don't over do it.

The same thing will be done with Scully (load management) and anyone else that has suffered a serious injury. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Scully is given a rest in the not to near future and that wouldn't be cause for panic but rather his longterm health. The reality is these players have been dealt injuries that are usually seen after car crashes and if it means there load must be managed then so be it. The key is to make sure we have the depth to handle it which at the moment we do not. That could all change next season with a health Tom and a key Cog.

Chioli

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exactly correct. I'm not sure how many of you follow the NBA but perfect example of why you manage players is what has recently happened to Golden State's starting centre DeMarcus Cousins. The guy who had his previous season wiped out due to tearing his left Achilles tendon was having his minutes ramped up in the playoffs and the other day tore his left quadriceps tendon. I'm not saying they mismanaged him but more so that players that have had serious injuries need to be managed so they don't over do it.

The same thing will be done with Scully (load management) and anyone else that has suffered a serious injury. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Scully is given a rest in the not to near future and that wouldn't be cause for panic but rather his longterm health. The reality is these players have been dealt injuries that are usually seen after car crashes and if it means there load must be managed then so be it. The key is to make sure we have the depth to handle it which at the moment we do not. That could all change next season with a health Tom and a key Cog.

Thats a crazy post saying O'meara doesn't bleed for the club. Our medicos just flat out refuse to play him if he's not close to 100% and the reason they do that is to prevent further injury.

I agree on Scully. I think after the Cats game when we have a 6 day break and hopefully get Burgoyne and Shiels back he may have a week off and gear up for the game against Melbourne

“One that both the club, my management and I were happy with so I would’ve been happy to sign a 10-year deal if it was on offer for me, but we agreed on four so I’m stoked with that.”

Reckon he is as invested in the club as any player on our list.

Unpopular? Maybe.

Ill informed? Absolutely.

Jaeger doesn’t miss the games he has because he wants to or because “he bleeds less”.
He is managed because he is an absolute Ferrari.

They want him to play as many games as possible this year in the best shape possible. Giving him a week to let the hip settle down is better for the big picture of the season, we need him out there, you don't want to see a situation like Essendon had with Daniher last year where they thought they could play him through his groin issues and he's now missed 19 games across 2 years.

The club often takes the conservative approach on these issues to avoid those kind of problems.

I mean this blokes an AFL player, millions idolise him for his football playing ability already.

But on a more human level, this guys resilience, patience and mental fortitude is something we can all learn from and apply to all facets of life, I mean their Hawthorn traits.... our club has had many of these types over the years. The horrific injuries and uncertainty over whether he would play again must have been tough. Bloke drinks his daily cup of cement thats for sure.

Cant wait to call him Captain JOM!

Last edited:

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
His disposal is horrible at present - barely gets kicks above 50%. And is quite selfish at times. Quite overrated at present. We paid for an elite, top 10 talent, 3 years in, we still don’t have one. In a stronger midfield it would show more.

I mean this blokes an AFL player, millions idolise him for his football playing ability already.

But on a more human level, this guys resilience, patience and mental fortitude is something we can all learn from and apply to all facets of life, I mean their Hawthorn traits.... our club has had many of these types over the years. The horrific injuries and uncertainty over whether he would play again must have been tough. Bloke drinks his daily cup of cement thats for sure.

Cant wait to call him Captain JOM!
Seems like one of those guys you hate to love! Highly skilled, good looking, very mentally strong. Probably a very bright guy too having heard him speak. Very happy he's fast becoming the fact of our club. Hope he and Tom (and maybe Congilio!) can form an even better partnership than Hodge, Mitchell (and Lewis!).

Seems like one of those guys you hate to love! Highly skilled, good looking, very mentally strong. Probably a very bright guy too having heard him speak. Very happy he's fast becoming the fact of our club. Hope he and Tom (and maybe Congilio!) can form an even better partnership than Hodge, Mitchell (and Lewis!).

He is one of those guys I love to love... He is a great kid! My missus also loves him..... but not for his footballing ability! ohwell atleast it means I get less complaints when the footy is on!

He is one of those guys I love to love... He is a great kid! My missus also loves him..... but not for his footballing ability! ohwell atleast it means I get less complaints when the footy is on!
Yeah - you're right. Particularly now I'm older. I'm remembering back to those school days when you'd meet those talented guys who were just sooooooo good at everything!

Yeah - you're right. Particularly now I'm older. I'm remembering back to those school days when you'd meet those talented guys who were just sooooooo good at everything!

Oh yeh, high school wise, he is this guy...
MpEt0n2Q.jpg

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His disposal is horrible at present - barely gets kicks above 50%. And is quite selfish at times. Quite overrated at present. We paid for an elite, top 10 talent, 3 years in, we still don’t have one. In a stronger midfield it would show more.
First year he was out injured. Second year he was second fiddle to Mitchell, whom was dominating. Third year in, he is carrying our midfield on his back and is having a career best year. He is hitting scoreboard, tackling, getting his hands on the footy and breaking away from packs which is exactly what I was hoping for this year.

We paid for an elite young talent with high potential who was out of the game for 2 years. He is improving buddy, be patient. He should be even better once Mitchell returns from injury.

Back