Toast Jaeger O'Meara 50 Games and beyond...

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit surprised that he has spent pretty much all his time at the coalface even when coming back. Would like to see him given a run off half back now and then just to get a bit of easy ball and give us some run.

I still don't know what his role is.

He doesn't seem to have the licence to hunt the ball (like Mitchell), hence his disposal numbers aren't huge (like Mitchell). Seems to be a defensive mid most of the time. Tackling/pressure beast.

Wonder when that changes and they unleash him. Then we'll see his disposal count change.

I don't think he is a natural accumulator, I think it was his athletic ability and speed coupled with his running power and strength that basically ensured he got the footy. What we are seeing now is a supremely talented athlete who's body is probably only 60% of what it was and this is the end product, by all means what we have is a very good B+ player, but he is more a complimentary piece than an elite star. I am not unhappy at all, however it's an expensive investment and at this stage it's probably not the return we envisioned.

50/50 at this stage whether this trade is a win.

I don't think he is a natural accumulator, I think it was his athletic ability and speed coupled with his running power and strength that basically ensured he got the footy. What we are seeing now is a supremely talented athlete who's body is probably only 60% of what it was and this is the end product, by all means what we have is a very good B+ player, but he is more a complimentary piece than an elite star. I am not unhappy at all, however it's an expensive investment and at this stage it's probably not the return we envisioned.

Too early to call yet. Quite a few people have come back from knee recon to be A grade players. They normally take a good long time. I'll make my call at mid season 2019.

Too early to call yet. Quite a few people have come back from knee recon to be A grade players. They normally take a good long time. I'll make my call at mid season 2019.

I'm with you. I think people underestimate how hard it is to maintain a fitness base when you have a leg issue for what was essentially 3 years in a row. Whatever base he'd built in his first couple of years of footy (and late junior years) would have eroded to nearly zero, and it doesn't bounce back right away. Kids coming into the system take several years to build an AFL quality aerobic system, and he would have been close to starting from scratch when he joined us during the 2017 pre-season, and then after another year mostly out of the game, he'd be again back close to zero for the 2018 pre-season. I reckon fitness wise he isn't going to be that far off a fresh draftee, but without the tank building that the draftee would have been doing in the under 18 competition.

Some of his best footy this year has been played in the first half of games. I reckon that only after another season's worth of games and the 2019 pre-season will we start to be able to assess what his ceiling is going to be, and in what role he is going to be most useful for us.

Some voices of reason in this thread. Once this bloke has got through a whole AFL season it'll be time to assess. Looks great already though, it has to be said. Good on him.

Hes finding it about as much as he did at the gold coast, in fact he's tracking around his career averages
I'd love to know what they are doing with him at the moment, feels like they are trying to build his outside game

Jom
Hes finding it about as much as he did at the gold coast, in fact he's tracking around his career averages
I'd love to know what they are doing with him at the moment, feels like they are trying to build his outside game
He is definitely focusing on his defensive side

I am loving his defensive work. When he and Howe are both playing the midfield looks defensively far more capable than it did even towards the latter end of the golden era we just went through. Once he gets his full confidence back in his body and can find that explosive touch again I think we are all going to see why he was so bloody sought after.

Have total possession counts gone up across the league though in the last 5 years ? Or is it similar to 2013? What I'm getting at is would averaging 21 pos in 2013 be a greater % of the teams disposals than it is in 2018 ?

Have total possession counts gone up across the league though in the last 5 years ? Or is it similar to 2013? What I'm getting at is would averaging 21 pos in 2013 be a greater % of the teams disposals than it is in 2018 ?
He's tracking around his averages for everything and my post was in reply to tige suggesting he wasn't winning the ball as much as he used to

This season has been a success for Jaeger in regards to continuity so far and playing football, next season we really want to see him become an AA standard type player though which he's a fair way off at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some voices of reason in this thread. Once this bloke has got through a whole AFL season it'll be time to assess. Looks great already though, it has to be said. Good on him.

Love watching his "run away" goal against the Dees. If we get more of that breakaway pace we'll all be happy at Hawthorn!:):rainbow::thumbsu:

Really hope he comes of age in the second half. We spend lot on him and gambled even more and it is about time he come through. So far in the season he has not produced except for odd period in an odd game. Time to lift up Son.

Very realistic post indeed.

Nowhere near the investment at this stage. He could do a Burgoyne though and recover down the track.

Definitely a fail in so far as one and a half seasons in.

This could turn very quickly though. A combination of clever coaching and long term strategy could see a better outcome.

Bottom line, we are building the midfield around Tom. Jom is the support.

KOLOKOTRONIS

This season has been a success for Jaeger in regards to continuity so far and playing football, next season we really want to see him become an AA standard type player though which he's a fair way off at the moment.

This is the massive question.

Nowhere near AA at this stage as you mention. It definitely stings.

KOLOKOTRONIS

If you'd asked me preseason how I'd feel about Jaeger getting to the bye fully fit and averaging 21 possessions, 4 marks, 4 clearances, 3 inside 50s and 1 goal per game...

"Failure" wouldn't have been the response. Sit tight everyone, we've just seen flashes. He's building.

I'm with you. I think people underestimate how hard it is to maintain a fitness base when you have a leg issue for what was essentially 3 years in a row. Whatever base he'd built in his first couple of years of footy (and late junior years) would have eroded to nearly zero, and it doesn't bounce back right away. Kids coming into the system take several years to build an AFL quality aerobic system, and he would have been close to starting from scratch when he joined us during the 2017 pre-season, and then after another year mostly out of the game, he'd be again back close to zero for the 2018 pre-season. I reckon fitness wise he isn't going to be that far off a fresh draftee, but without the tank building that the draftee would have been doing in the under 18 competition.

Some of his best footy this year has been played in the first half of games. I reckon that only after another season's worth of games and the 2019 pre-season will we start to be able to assess what his ceiling is going to be, and in what role he is going to be most useful for us.
:thumbsu:

Great post. Sticky it to this thread

If you'd asked me preseason how I'd feel about Jaeger getting to the bye fully fit and averaging 21 possessions, 4 marks, 4 clearances, 3 inside 50s and 1 goal per game...

"Failure" wouldn't have been the response. Sit tight everyone, we've just seen flashes. He's building.

I would say it is the minimum we'd expect, statistically he is a run of the mill AFL mid. What we want to see in the 2nd half is him take his game up a level, we know how capable he is and he has now had unprecedented continuity in games, I think and I hope we'll see a good progression from him.

I would say it is the minimum we'd expect, statistically he is a run of the mill AFL mid. What we want to see in the 2nd half is him take his game up a level, we know how capable he is and he has now had unprecedented continuity in games, I think and I hope we'll see a good progression from him.
For this season I'll take "Completing the season with no major knee concerns and learning as much from Mr 350 as he can." Let's look at stepping it up next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back