Toast Jaeger O'Meara 50 Games and beyond...

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say it is the minimum we'd expect, statistically he is a run of the mill AFL mid. What we want to see in the 2nd half is him take his game up a level, we know how capable he is and he has now had unprecedented continuity in games, I think and I hope we'll see a good progression from him.

He's miles ahead of most 60 gamers. Seems like peopls expected him to magically get better while he spent 3 years on the sidelines.

For comparison. Danger average 16 disposals and a goal between 42 and 65 games. Ablett 15 and 1.5 goals Martin and Fyfe about 22 and a goal at around the same number of games.

Last edited:
He's miles ahead of most 60 gamers. Seems like peopls expected him to magically get better while he spent 3 years on the sidelines.

For comparison. Danger average 16 disposals and a goal between 42 and 65 games. Ablett 15 and 1.5 goals Martin and Fyfe about 22 and a goal at around the same number of games.
Good post.

I have to admit I sometimes forget how few he's played. Lets hope he goes on to be in the same league as those players you mention.

60 games or 120 or 20 it's irrelevant, he is 25 next year and in his prime. He has been servicible this season, given his history it has been a positive he has put games together. Looking forward to improvements.

I think both games played, as well as one's physical maturity, are relevant to performance.

So I wouldn't compare JOM's performance to 50 game 20 year olds, he should be marked on a different scale, but neither is his lack of pre-season training and actual game time irrelevant.

Last edited:
60 games or 120 or 20 it's irrelevant, he is 25 next year and in his prime. He has been servicible this season, given his history it has been a positive he has put games together. Looking forward to improvements.
While you are not wrong, the accumulated benefit of consecutive preseasons and match play is important. His biggest problem seems that he can’t go from effort to effort to effort for more than about a quarter. We have played around with resting him for extended periods during a few of the games so I’d say they are searching for the best way to maximise his output given his current training age.

On what basis is he in his prime?

On what basis is he in his prime?

On the basis that the best performed mids are in their mid 20s, some even younger. Am I really having to prove this point with you? Or do you just like to rebut for the sake of it?

Let's look at the last 10 Brownlows

17 - Martin 25
16 - Danger 26
15 - Fyfe 24
14 - Priddis 29
13 - Ablett 29
12 - Cotchin 22 / Mitchell 29
11 - Swan 27
10 - Judd 27
09 - Ablett 25
08 - Cooney 23

Average age = 26

I think the footy world accepts that mids are at their best at 25-27, of course a % still play good footy into their 30s but it's a smaller %

On the basis that the best performed mids are in their mid 20s, some even younger. Am I really having to prove this point with you? Or do you just like to rebut for the sake of it?

17 - Martin 25
16 - Danger 26
15 - Fyfe 24
14 - Priddis 29
13 - Ablett 29
11 - Swan 27
10 - Judd 27
09 - Ablett 25
08 - Cooney 23

Average age = 26

I think the footy world accepts that mids are at their best at 25-27, of course a % still play good footy into their 30s but it's a smaller %
How many of them missed extended period of footy in the years leading up to winning the Brownlow? Reducing your expectation down to a function of age is just going to lead to disappointment.

How many of them missed extended period of footy in the years leading up to winning the Brownlow? Reducing your expectation down to a function of age is just going to lead to disappointment.

Again irrelevant imo.. age is age, Jags isn't playing until his 36 just because 4 years of footy have been wiped off. His best chance of becoming what we expect and what he's paid is coming and it's coming fast. He is a good a B grade mid, with any luck and the obvious ability he has we should see him progress to an A grader, anything less really is a loss in terms of investment.

Round 23 last year he had 25 touches 10 contested, 11 tackles and 5 clearances, he produced that after an injury riddled season. Any reason why he shouldn't be producing those numbers now? Take into account he has had continuity this season, he is seemingly injury free and fully fit. I'm not bashing him, I genuinely love him and can see what he can produce but I am underwhelmed somewhat thus far.

We need his round 23 performance as the minimum, that's the player we need.

We paid for an elite a grader - haven’t seen the performances yet. Is starting to get a bit concerning that he still struggles to run out a game - even with injuries he’s been in an elite environment for 7 years. Let’s hope he turns it on after the bye - if he doesn’t the probabilities we’ve overpaid for a b-grader will continue to increase.
I note both Mitchell and JOM are middle aged in football terms - we’ve got a 5-6 year window - which is not a lost given wholes our our list.

We paid for an elite a grader - haven’t seen the performances yet. Is starting to get a bit concerning that he still struggles to run out a game - even with injuries he’s been in an elite environment for 7 years. Let’s hope he turns it on after the bye - if he doesn’t the probabilities we’ve overpaid for a b-grader will continue to increase.
I note both Mitchell and JOM are middle aged in football terms - we’ve got a 5-6 year window - which is not a lost given wholes our our list.

I wouldn't call Gold Coast an elite environment.

They completely butchered his rehab on more then 1 occasion.

17 - Martin 25
16 - Danger 26
15 - Fyfe 24
14 - Priddis 29
13 - Ablett 29
11 - Swan 27
10 - Judd 27
09 - Ablett 25
08 - Cooney 23

Average age = 26

I think your expectations of Jaeger are a little premature tige. Please be patient, and I am sure we will all see more of that dynamic that left several dees in his wake. How many full preseasons had the players you listed done before they won the Charlie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is only jaegers third proper season of footy. He hasn’t got a hold of any games as yet but that doesn’t mean he won’t.
This is a bloke that had 38 touches in his second game for the club but has been learning to manage his output in games with quality not quantity.
“ make your possessions count, don’t count your possessions” - this motto was said by Jaeger O’Meara couple of years ago.

Round 23 last year he had 25 touches 10 contested, 11 tackles and 5 clearances, he produced that after an injury riddled season. Any reason why he shouldn't be producing those numbers now? Take into account he has had continuity this season, he is seemingly injury free and fully fit. I'm not bashing him, I genuinely love him and can see what he can produce but I am underwhelmed somewhat thus far.

We need his round 23 performance as the minimum, that's the player we need.
That was a strange game, it almost resembled an exhibition match in that players shook hands at the start of the game and didn't see each other until the final siren. Many on here speculated that clarkson & beverage had some sort of gentleman's agreement to make it a high scoring, entertaining spectacle as a final farewell to hodge, boyd and murphy.
Yes, Jaeger had it on a string but I reckon I could've got a kick in that game...

That was a strange game, it almost resembled an exhibition match in that players shook hands at the start of the game and didn't see each other until the final siren. Many on here speculated that clarkson & beverage had some sort of gentleman's agreement to make it a high scoring, entertaining spectacle as a final farewell to hodge, boyd and murphy.
Yes, Jaeger had it on a string but I reckon I could've got a kick in that game...

Morrison 20 touches in a half in his first game too.

Absolute rubbish man, have you ever played the game? Anyone who has would know as soon as you're out there you're giving 110%, it's in your blood, it's your DNA. That game was an AFL match, plain and simple, black and white, and Jags was dominate.

I think both games played, as well as one's physical maturity, are relevant to performance.

So I wouldn't compare JOM's performance to 50 game 20 year olds, he should be marked on a different scale, but neither is his lack of pre-season training and actual game time irrelevant.

Agreed. To just use games played is a bit silly.

I think your expectations of Jaeger are a little premature tige. Please be patient, and I am sure we will all see more of that dynamic that left several dees in his wake. How many full preseasons had the players you listed done before they won the Charlie?

My expectations are pretty reasonable, Increase on his 21ps, 4 clearances and 9 contested possessions a game.

If Jaeger was going to play until 35 because he missed 3 seasons lots on here would have a point but tige19 is right, his prime years are likely to be 2019-2022, so we want to see some big improvements next season.

He’s had a full pre season, has played 10 games and has a mature body. No excuses now. Time to step up.
A matur-ish body as some of the ealier pre-seasons would've been lost due to injury.

There was talk of him learning to play with pain. I'm reasonably sure he's not going to do that in just a few games.

A matur-ish body as some of the ealier pre-seasons would've been lost due to injury.

There was talk of him learning to play with pain. I'm reasonably sure he's not going to do that in just a few games.

I think it’s widely accepted that it’s a fitness issue. He absolutely blows up at half time. I get it, but it’s fair to expect that his engine would be able to cope by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back