Recommitted Jaeger O'Meara [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Honestly, rather not. He was great this year and his knees have been good since going to England for surgery 3 years ago

If it was to happen, pick 16 is alright. Rather O'Meara teaching and working with the young guys then purely pick 16

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like it for Port, but I think they're probably looking at the team being built around Boak, Gray, Dixon and Jonas as not quite being good enough, whilst Aliir, Wines, all their young mids, Georgiades and if either of them come on Marshall or Finlayson have plenty of time left.

You can make the argument that Jaeger softens the blow of Boak eventually going and that he'd still be close to his prime when Rozee, Butters and Duursma all hit theirs very soon. But if those 3, Wines, Amon, Drew, Bergman +/- SPP and others are the core of your midfield for the next 5 years then you're better off spending a good pick on the talls or flankers required to complement them.

If I'm Port it comes down to just how cheap I can get him. If it doesn't make much of an impact on the salary cap or cost a quality draft pick then I'm definitely more interested.

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I like it for Port, but I think they're probably looking at the team being built around Boak, Gray, Dixon and Jonas as not quite being good enough, whilst Aliir, Wines, all their young mids, Georgiades and if either of them come on Marshall or Finlayson have plenty of time left.

You can make the argument that Jaeger softens the blow of Boak eventually going and that he'd still be close to his prime when Rozee, Butters and Duursma all hit theirs very soon. But if those 3, Wines, Amon, Drew, Bergman +/- SPP and others are the core of your midfield for the next 5 years then you're better off spending a good pick on the talls or flankers required to complement them.

If I'm Port it comes down to just how cheap I can get him. If it doesn't make much of an impact on the salary cap or cost a quality draft pick then I'm definitely more interested.

That is how I see it. We probably have 1 more year to have a crack while Boak is still fully fit, and Dixon's fitness can be managed. They want to have a crack, but selling the farm for 1 crack is madness. If he's injured half of next year, it doesn't matter what he does in years 2,3,etc. If we can't win next year then we have to be aiming to win in 4-5 years time with the young group of players we have now. O'meara does nothing to win a flag 2025-26. We are still a bit burnt by the Watts trade as we were initially dismissive thinking, 'we'll if he's a bust, what have we lost?'. As it turns out you can still get good players with seconds. We probably don't pick Fritsch with it, but there were still a few decent players left at that pick. I think we have been too eager to toss away 2nd rounders in the past.

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out of interest would this work
swans
in .....Ladhams
out ...31
Port
In ...JOM , future 3rd ( about 40 )
out Ladhams 16
Hawks
In .....16 ,31
out JOM , future 3rd

Yeah, that's a terrible trade. Swans get ladhams for 31, you get a 1st and 2nd for a 28 year old with dodgy knees, and we get get a massive dump taken on our heads.

I'll be interested to see the justification of these trade values when the Hawthorn supporters were trotting out crap values under the pretense that we were forcing Ladhams out. You're now offering up your players like a stock list that can be ordered from and want full value. You paid a 1st and 2nd for him 5 years ago.

If he leaves this kid’s going to end up having such a nothing career for a guy who would have gone number 1 in the draft under normal circumstances. Real Tom Scully areas.

Generation X

Debutant
Sep 26, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Trading out O'Meara is a massive statement by Mitchell & Hawthorn. You could easily interpret it that it's an admission from the Hawks that the last 5 years have been a complete waste of time, although I see it more as a very brave move by Mitchell to build the right team, starting with the midfield. Clearly it's not working for Hawthorn, they need a complete rebuild

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we can turn Ladhams and 16 into 2 of the 3 guys that have been mentioned from Hawthorn its a big win. I'm not as quite bearish about Port going forward. I think we are in the wheelhouse for a few years yet if nobody sh!ts the bed and even better if Ken walks. If I thought we could get a Draper or Roberts at 16 I might not want to trade with Hawthorn but go to the kids.

Trading out O'Meara is a massive statement by Mitchell & Hawthorn. You could easily interpret it that it's an admission from the Hawks that the last 5 years have been a complete waste of time, although I see it more as a very brave move by Mitchell to build the right team, starting with the midfield. Clearly it's not working for Hawthorn, they need a complete rebuild
Complete rebuild? Nah.

We do need a couple of dynamic and class mids though to compliment our young forwards and defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out of interest would this work
swans
in .....Ladhams
out ...31
Port
In ...JOM , future 3rd ( about 40 )
out Ladhams 16
Hawks
In .....16 ,31
out JOM , future 3rd

jesus

values a 23rd year old tall as worth 1/4th of a 27/28 year old injury prone mid. and just happens to work out amazing for everyone but port

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Would have to be a very good deal for us. I don't think you have the assets to get it done.
No it doesn't, you guys are desperate to get rid of O'meara before his value declines further.

You guys are actively trying to salvage any remaining value out of O'meara, he is not getting poached, so no it will not have to be a very good deal for you.

O'meara is a genuine B grader, there are usually 3 midfielders at each club better than him. Close to 0 remaining upside and approaching 28. The maximum possible deal you'd get is a pick in the 15 - 20 range, but with how your firesale is being ran I doubt you'd even get that.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So for Port, I think pick 16 is spot on, I personally wouldn't give anything in the top 20 for O'meara.

But I understand why Port as a premiership contender might overpay given that's what Adelaide did with Gibbs and us with Beams.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Incorrect.
What? you don't think O'meara's value will only decrease from here?

He is almost 28, and he has never been an above average midfielder in any season of his career so far, and it's not about to change now.

Played in 70.59% of the games in 2020, played in 81.82% of games this season. His body is falling apart, and will only get worse with age. One injury affected season and O'meara will go for a 3rd round pick.

Let's not even go into the fact that whatever he is will be discounted given his inflated and overly expensive contract. Just like Freo won't get max value for Lobb.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No it doesn't, you guys are desperate to get rid of O'meara before his value declines further.

You guys are actively trying to salvage any remaining value out of O'meara, he is not getting poached, so no it will not have to be a very good deal for you.

O'meara is a genuine B grader, there are usually 3 midfielders at each club better than him. Close to 0 remaining upside and approaching 28. The maximum possible deal you'd get is a pick in the 15 - 20 range, but with how your firesale is being ran I doubt you'd even get that.

Firstly, there is no evidence that we are desperate to get rid of O'Meara. In fact, McKenzie has denied the media claims, Mitchell has denied them and more importantly, the players themselves have denied them and even Port has said there has been no discussion had. It appears to nearly all be media speculation based on an ambiguous letter from Kennett to the members.

Secondly, O'Meara averaged 26 disposals, 6 clearances and 5 tackles this year.Thete are not 3 mids at every club doing that. In fact, there are none at your club for example. He is not in the elite top tier of mids but he is also not far below either.

What? you don't think O'meara's value will only decrease from here?

He is almost 28, and he has never been an above average midfielder in any season of his career so far, and it's not about to change now.

Played in 70.59% of the games in 2020, played in 81.82% of games this season. His body is falling apart, and will only get worse with age. One injury affected season and O'meara will go for a 3rd round pick.

Let's not even go into the fact that whatever he is will be discounted given his inflated and overly expensive contract. Just like Freo won't get max value for Lobb.
Of course his value will decrease. That's not the point.

Hawthorn are not "desperate to get rid of O'meara" at all. You just swallow the BS on trade radio and SEN whole it seems.

Last edited:

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Firstly, there is no evidence that we are desperate to get rid of O'Meara. In fact, McKenzie has denied the media claims, Mitchell has denied them and more importantly, the players themselves have denied them and even Port has said there has been no discussion had. It appears to nearly all be media speculation based on an ambiguous letter from Kennett to the members.

Secondly, O'Meara averaged 26 disposals, 6 clearances and 5 tackles this year.Thete are not 3 mids at every club doing that. In fact, there are none at your club for example. He is not in the elite top tier of mids but he is also not far below either.
Of course it will be denied (although you didn't seem to have tried very hard...), you guys know that firesale = discounted players.

I mean surely you can't be using as an example right lol. O'meara has played the entire season purely on the ball, the only player we have with a full-time midfield role is Taylor Adams, who has statistically outperformed O'meara in every area if you take out his injury affected games.

Also "26 disposals, 6 clearances and 5 tackles"? This is literally the definition of average.

Luke Dunstan averaged 25 disposals, 6 clearances, 5 tackles (pretty much identical stats btw...) and got delisted lmfao.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that you have brought up stats.

Disposals:
O'meara - 26
Dunstan - 25

Clearances:
O'meara - 6
Dunstan - 6

Tackles:
O'meara - 5
Dunstan - 5

Luke Dunstan got delisted, with 17 out of 18 clubs thinking he doesn't deserve an AFL spot. Tell me why O'meara deserves anything close to a top 10 or 1st round pick. He is the definition of average.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hawthorn are not "desperate to get rid of O'meara" at all. You just swallow the BS on trade radio and SEN whole it seems.
You know this, how?

All the evidence point to a formal firesale, with O'meara included.

And no it's not just trade ratio and SEN, I literally just googled it and found pretty much all major media sources having the same message.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Of course it will be denied (although you didn't seem to have tried very hard...), you guys know that firesale = discounted players.

I mean surely you can't be using as an example right lol. O'meara has played the entire season purely on the ball, the only player we have with a full-time midfield role is Taylor Adams, who has statistically outperformed O'meara in every area if you take out his injury affected games.

Also "26 disposals, 6 clearances and 5 tackles"? This is literally the definition of average.

Luke Dunstan averaged 25 disposals, 6 clearances, 5 tackles (pretty much identical stats btw...) and got delisted lmfao.

That's why I highlighted what the players are saying (if they were being shopped they wouldn't activelybe going to social media t suggest they were not leaving) and what Port said (why would they deny? That would be counter-productive to their aim).

On your second point, they are not average numbers. You have highlighted the one exception in Dunstan who is a terrible user and was just picked up by the reigning premier based purely on those numbers. OMeara more than doubled Adams Brownlow votes and its a similar story in the coaches votes. How do you rate Adams? Because from where I'm sitting, omeara would have a very good case to be your best mid right now.

Back