Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick] - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Hawks don't accept mediocrity. The thought of casually fading into the wilderness doesn't suit us, so we're going balls out on a rebuild.

We've done it before. Nobody would dare trade out their two best kpp (Thompson and hay in consecutive years). Everyone predicted the worst. Result? Jordan Lewis and Max Bailey. (Bailey shot down by 3 knee recos but still a premiership ruckman)

We did before as well in 2001. Croad and McPharlin out - Mitchell and hodge in.

So here we are again in 2016. Hawks make a big call and instead of pushing out players that everyone thinks we are crazy for we are now pushing out draft picks and senior players that everyone thinks we are crazy for.

The difference is that we have gone from loading up on early picks (which overall really didn't work for us, especially if you look at all our early 2005 picks) but conveniently worked in the examples above. Now we've loaded up on young quality midfielders.

While everyone else takes a moderate approach, snagging a star if they can get one, Hawks go and get 2 in a single offseason (not taking Vickery by the way) and flag intentions to do it again next year.

Sydney did this. Loaded up on Tippett and Franklin. They don't have to worry so much about draft because those get Heeny and mills from the academy.

Geelong went down a different path. Sure they got danger but they loaded up on role players to transition: Clark, Stanley, Henderson, zac smith, Sam blease, Scott selwood and menegola. 7 players from other teams within 2 offseasons. Can't say it's been a resounding success but they made a prelim in the face of a bunch of their old players leaving.

The good clubs, the ones that make the top 4 do extreme things.

Those that follow common wisdom and jump on someone else's wave will never get ahead. Might pop up for a season or two, but it's the extreme approaches that result in sustained success.

Hawks don't accept mediocrity. The thought of casually fading into the wilderness doesn't suit us, so we're going balls out on a rebuild.

We've done it before. Nobody would dare trade out their two best kpp (Thompson and hay in consecutive years). Everyone predicted the worst. Result? Jordan Lewis and Max Bailey. (Bailey shot down by 3 knee recos but still a premiership ruckman)

We did before as well in 2001. Croad and McPharlin out - Mitchell and hodge in.

So here we are again in 2016. Hawks make a big call and instead of pushing out players that everyone thinks we are crazy for we are now pushing out draft picks and senior players that everyone thinks we are crazy for.

The difference is that we have gone from loading up on early picks (which overall really didn't work for us, especially if you look at all our early 2005 picks) but conveniently worked in the examples above. Now we've loaded up on young quality midfielders.

While everyone else takes a moderate approach, snagging a star if they can get one, Hawks go and get 2 in a single offseason (not taking Vickery by the way) and flag intentions to do it again next year.

Sydney did this. Loaded up on Tippett and Franklin. They don't have to worry so much about draft because those get Heeny and mills from the academy.

Geelong went down a different path. Sure they got danger but they loaded up on role players to transition: Clark, Stanley, Henderson, zac smith, Sam blease, Scott selwood and menegola. 7 players from other teams within 2 offseasons. Can't say it's been a resounding success but they made a prelim in the face of a bunch of their old players leaving.

The good clubs, the ones that make the top 4 do extreme things.

Those that follow common wisdom and jump on someone else's wave will never get ahead. Might pop up for a season or two, but it's the extreme approaches that result in sustained success.
I reckon this move by us carries far less risk than those previous attempts of ours that you mentioned. T.Mitchell and O'Meara (perhaps to a lesser degree because of the knee) are very much known quantities compared to top 10 draft picks which you'd be pretty confident of getting a great player but have no guarantee of it. And letting go Lewis and S.Mitchell now (when they were likely to retire within 2 years) carries far less risk than trading away key players in their prime ages.

The problem is that whilst the likes of bruest, gunston, smith and Stratton are all great players, they are likely no longer elite standard once the core players of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne, puopolo, roughead, Gibson are gone.

From that list there are some real question marks going into 2017 and I'm not sure mitchell and JOM are going to be enough to bridge the gap.

The only youngster I see coming through with elite potential is Burton. The Hawks are going to be battling it out with the bottom 8 sides trying to scrape in I feel.
I hadn't considered Bruest, Gunston, Smith, and Stratton plateauing out. I kind of thought being in the leadership group, they might step up in their peak years 25-28.o_O

Burton is proven. The kid is best 18 right now and that was without a preseason.

I knew you would mention Langford and Hartley!
But i was equally as harsh on Hartung and Brand.

although you can clearly see why comments like "Hawthorn's youth stocks are anything but less than average" & "your youth is sub-par" can quickly come back to bite you over the next year.

Nah mate.

Don't get me wrong, I get you rate Burton, but to say he is 'proven' would be to say Laverde, Langford, Francis, Parish, Daniher, Merrett, Fantasia, Gleeson, Hartley are ALL proven - because they are all best 22.

He isn't proven but the fact he didn't play for 2 years with very little preseason and managed to make the team for the geelong game shows the club rates him highly

Don't dispute that in the slightest - just pointing out you can't call him proven without doing the same to a slew of Essendon players.

It's been confirmed that the Hawks traded their own future second, not GWS' as originally reported.
AFL "clarified" the rule AKA making it up as we go along

AFL "clarified" the rule AKA making it up as we go along

Yeah I think they were forced into a corner on this one as it was put in so late and both clubs had agreed to the Hawks pick. Pretty poor that this issue wasn't picked up when the paperwork was signed.

No wonder the deal was never officially confirmed on Twitter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's time for this wonderful thread to end.

Let's all agree that Tony Cochrane's grandstanding was very cute and we look forward to St Kilda burning those draft picks on some unsuspecting kid.

Hawthorn got their man and sold the farm to do it.

new-recruit-jaeger-omeara-poses-during-a-hawthorn-hawks-afl-media-at-picture-id615771102

Hopefully we can just all enjoy the new talent that has arrived at both clubs best of luck to everyone

It's this attitude that irritates me; that there is something inherent in the Hawthorn football club that ensures success. It's nonsense. You have been fortunate to witness two very successful periods in recent history, governed by completely different on-field and off-field personnel. You also witnessed some 15 years of mediocrity, in which the club almost folded, run by different personnel. There's no guarantees you don't go the path of Brisbane, particularly as the key people behind your success move on. There's nothing about 'the club' that will ensure it doesn't happen.

As for the trade, typical AFL, finding new ways to appear amateur.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back