Traded Jaeger O'Meara - [Traded with F4 to Fremantle for Lloyd Meek and F2 (Dogs)]

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I misread this completely, it appears both Hawks and Freo rate him.

To be fair, I haven’t watched a heap of Hawthorn the last 2 years, but when I’ve seen him, he’s been good without being great.

Is he any good Hawks fans?

You've summed it up pretty well - he'll be solid to good most weeks and have the odd week (or month) where he is excellent.

He can do everything pretty well to be honest - clearances, ball winning, marking, ball use are all good.

His biggest issue (aside from some inconsistency) is he tries to take people on and gets caught holding the ball when he had the opportunity to give it off. Irritating copping a free against when you have the ball. The flip side of this is he breaks plenty of tackles too and it allows for more beneficial (and likely scoring) forward movement than a pressured disposal. Interesting to see if he adjusts this approach with better support players.

In fact, that will be the great unknown as he has always played in very weak midfields so interesting to see if he is more dominant or less in a strong midfield. I suspect he will be a pretty valuable rotation and you'll soon realise he has been pretty underrated (in fact - it may be a lot like having a 28/9 yo Mundy back*).

*Obviously O'Meara won't play as many years as Mundy did.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
You've summed it up pretty well - he'll be solid to good most weeks and have the odd week (or month) where he is excellent.

He can do everything pretty well to be honest - clearances, ball winning, marking, ball use are all good.

His biggest issue (aside from some inconsistency) is he tries to take people on and gets caught holding the ball when he had the opportunity to give it off. Irritating copping a free against when you have the ball. The flip side of this is he breaks plenty of tackles too and it allows for more beneficial (and likely scoring) forward movement than a pressured disposal. Interesting to see if he adjusts this approach with better support players.

In fact, that will be the great unknown as he has always played in very weak midfields so interesting to see if he is more dominant or less in a strong midfield. I suspect he will be a pretty valuable rotation and you'll soon realise he has been pretty underrated (in fact - it may be a lot like having a 28/9 yo Mundy back*).

*Obviously O'Meara won't play as many years as Mundy did.

We’ve seen this move a lot, called the Fyfe, except he usually busts through.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Now the dust has settled Lobb and Meek for O'Meara and pick 30. Freo fans how do you feel about it?
I think taken as a whole it’s a decent trade period. Lobb & Meek are very serviceable AFL players but I think considering we brought Jackson in & lost Mundy to retirement this feels like we don’t lose anything from a best 22 sense. Meek is a loss but you can’t blame the guy wanting to be number 1. He deserves it.
Lobb is a tease. Match winner on his day & very few can bury them from outside 50 on the boundary like he can but inconsistent. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a couple of very good years if he stays fit. He’s one who has struggled with the mental side of the game but has consistently improved.
In terms of trade balance I think we played a decent hand. I’m happy.

I’m also a bit scared of the Dogs next year with Jones, Naughton, Lobb, JUH. Finally have a spine.

freofc1994

All Australian
Sep 15, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Giants, Chelsea
Now the dust has settled Lobb and Meek for O'Meara and pick 30. Freo fans how do you feel about it?

All in all its probably fair. I liked Meek's game and we'd put plenty into him but fair play to the kid sticking his hand up for a move. He obviously see's himself behind Darcy and was big enough to ask for a trade. O'Meara I don't mind, Hawks ponying up for some of his salary is interesting. Lobb i was happy to see the back of, more because of his campaigner of a manager to be honest. Check back here after the 2024 season when he's lobbying for a trade away from the Dogs as his front loaded 2 years come to an end.

I wonder how much the salary paying aspect impacted the trade. I’d like to think losing the players we lost meant we didn’t need to have salary paid but it’s a nice bonus that means we can front load someone’s contract and free up some room down the track.

Also reading between the lines I think Hawks might have made it clear they are only trading him if they can pay part of the salary and get a better pick as a result

I wonder how much the salary paying aspect impacted the trade. I’d like to think losing the players we lost meant we didn’t need to have salary paid but it’s a nice bonus that means we can front load someone’s contract and free up some room down the track.

Also reading between the lines I think Hawks might have made it clear they are only trading him if they can pay part of the salary and get a better pick as a result
And I think depending on the pick we got decided how much we paid as well. GWS would have got it all paid, I don't think that's the case here but still a significant amount.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Given we didnt get the North F2 pick Id say we arent paying anywhere near as much as we offered GWS for their 15 or 19.

If we are paying a chunk for more than next year we need to sack our list manager.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well I'd rather giving a worse pick and paying the salary, but that's only because I don't have to balance the TPP and enjoy the draft. If cap space is as valuable as GC are making it look, I think its a genuinely good deal.

The better the Dogs do, the better it looks and I can absolutely see them winning the flag now they have the Lobster.

Given we didnt get the North F2 pick Id say we arent paying anywhere near as much as we offered GWS for their 15 or 19.

If we are paying a chunk for more than next year we need to sack our list manager.
Walls said "significant amount next year" whatever that means, I wouldnt have thought you would ever pay more than a little bit for next year

Well I'd rather giving a worse pick and paying the salary, but that's only because I don't have to balance the TPP and enjoy the draft. If cap space is as valuable as GC are making it look, I think its a genuinely good deal.

The better the Dogs do, the better it looks and I can absolutely see them winning the flag now they have the Lobster.
I think clubs want to be able to out bid there direct rivals at any point in time. Last thing you want is to lose a Final and then the winner strengths there team and nothing you can do about it because your caps fked.

Teams are adding extra importance on cap space now Free agency is a thing.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think clubs want to be able to out bid there direct rivals at any point in time. Last thing you want is to lose a Final and then the winner strengths there team and nothing you can do about it because your caps fked.

Teams are adding extra importance on cap space now Free agency is a thing.
Definitely seems that way. There is not much next year in FA I don't think, but the year after I reckon there is some quality.

mookieb

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He may not fill an obvious anticipated need for Freo fans but let's not get carried away - of course he would be best 22.

Last year (when in the midfield before being actively deployed on the flanks this season), O'Meara averaged over 26 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 6 clearances and 5 tackles. That would place him 1st or 2nd at Freo in every one of those categories. He also would have finished 2nd for Freo in The Brownlow, behind Mundy (after his best season and who is now gone). Before O'Meara picked up an injury, he was comfortably our best player and leading the B&F last year.

This year, he was deployed more on the half forward flank (to fast track our midfield rebuild) but still averaged over 20 disposals, 5 clearances and 5 tackles. He also had more goal assists than all but one Freo player in a team that struggled to score.

The reason Hawthorn fans are critical is because we paid a huge trade price (the equivalent of an A grade, elite talent) and O'Meara keeps teasing by playing patches of the year where he is an elite player but then other patches where he reverts to a B+ contributor. The other (and biggest) reason he is criticised is because he is a leader in a poorly performing midfield. If he was playing similarly in a strong midfield he would like be seen in a very different light - as a solid, good contributor who bobs up with BOG (or close to) performances a handful of times a year. Sort of like Jordan Lewis who had the privilege of playing in a very, very successful period and is regarded very differently.

Nothing wrong with Freo fans not being keen on the trade for a multitude of reasons (you guys are the experts on your own list) but let's separate fact from hyperbole - he is definitely not a salary dump (quite the opposite - we are happy to pay his salary if it nets a better return) and he would absolutely be best 22.
Exactly this. If I was Freo I would be overjoyed that you've got a good mid into your team that might give you that extra push come finals time.

Lost a lot of quality but got some good quality back in with Jackson and JOM.

That makes sense. GWS we were considering paying all 3 years. But for a much better pick.
On this topic, interesting read that putting pieces together would indicate we got the same salary deal GWS were after. Would indicate the pick you got is worse than 19 because:
A) We didnt have it
B) Meek was valued higher than a future 4th

As is standard psychology, I've really come around to this deal now, we were looking way to young in the middle next year and JOM will fit in perfectly with our guys.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
On this topic, interesting read that putting pieces together would indicate we got the same salary deal GWS were after. Would indicate the pick you got is worse than 19 because:
A) We didnt have it
B) Meek was valued higher than a future 4th

As is standard psychology, I've really come around to this deal now, we were looking way to young in the middle next year and JOM will fit in perfectly with our guys.

If they're paying the lot next year, that's great for us.

Back