Jaeger O'Meara

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorne fans seem up and about after falling over the line against an injury ravaged Carlton...
?????

But it is only Hawthorn who get injuries during a match.........and they are the only team that has free kicks paid against them.

Didnt you know that they wouldnt have lost a match ever if it wasnt for injuries and umpires?

Oh......and their trades are the best ever. Have the best 3 trades in the AFL this year!!!

?????

But it is only Hawthorn who get injuries during a match.........and they are the only team that has free kicks paid against them.

Didnt you know that they wouldnt have lost a match ever if it wasnt for injuries and umpires?

Oh......and their trades are the best ever. Have the best 3 trades in the AFL this year!!!

Geelong won the April premiership already?

Great, May is next!

I couldn't see a Jaeger specific thread but if ive missed something obvious please shift this post.

I've posted this on our Hawks Jaeger thread already but hopefully everyone's ok with me re-hashing it here.

Out in the real world I'm a Physio. I've been thinking for a while about doing a piece on Jaeger's knee particularly because his issues squarely frame something I've been finding a lot clinically with my patients.

As a bit of background, I'm really interested in getting to the bottom of why things are the way they are. My job allows me to peek behind the curtain of all sorts of athletes and pick up on patterns that lead to certain injuries and dysfunction. And with that I think I've been able to uncover some things the medical industry as a whole aren't quite aware of - AFL medicos included - in regards to what Jaeger's gone through pre-rupture. I think it may have some really important ramifications going forward in a broader sense.

I mentioned on our board that I know all this can sound a bit egotistical, but if you're interested have a read of my poorly cobbled together ramblings and feel free to share it around.

I'm keen to get this out there into the world but figured I'd post it here to get a sense of what the masses think - beyond my felow Hawks supporters.

I mention it at the end, but I see these issues far too often for them not to be viable and I'd love the Hawks to get wind of it. But in the much more likely event they don't - I hope that it might help those dealing with the issue.

Anyway, here's the link: http://yourwellnessnerd.com/knee-tendonitis-jaeger-omeara/
2c11af6d732058a032183052e0ef3972.jpg

Go Hawks.
Interesting take on Jaeger's knee issue ;)

Went to water after he got a bit of attention today.

Not the first time he's been tagged this year (why wouldn't you when he's our only top tier mid in the side right now), but Harmes is a ridiculously good tagger in that he's a great stopper but remains quite damaging himself when playing the tagger role. O'Meara hasn't had much chance to practice breaking tags. At GC he was still in training wheels , and the tag would have gone to Ablett every time. Last year Mitchell got most of the tags. He hasn't played 80 games yet, and very few of them with tags, so I expect he'll improve his ability to have an impact while tagged as his career goes on. Will certainly get a lot more practice this year, given the move pretty much won Melbourne the game.

Yep. But older and with a broken knee he has to take games off for.
Hasn't had a game off this year for his knee, played 21 out of 24 last year, you might have to come up with a new thing to pick on

Hasn't had a game off this year for his knee, played 21 out of 24 last year, you might have to come up with a new thing to pick on

So the Hawks have not been managing him at all? What game was the last one he missed last year? Did he happen to miss it after a gruelling and more intense final game?

Bit worrying that he played one finals intensity game and then needed the next one off.

How is he this week? Had a ripper first quarter and then went missing afterwards. I know he was heavily tagged but he also came out after half with that knee strapped again.

Zach Merrett is easily tragged though so I agree with you there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the Hawks have not been managing him at all? What game was the last one he missed last year? Did he happen to miss it after a gruelling and more intense final game?

Bit worrying that he played one finals intensity game and then needed the next one off.

How is he this week? Had a ripper first quarter and then went missing afterwards. I know he was heavily tagged but he also came out after half with that knee strapped again.

Zach Merrett is easily tragged though so I agree with you there.
Players all over the league are managed. Managed does not mean broken knee he misses games for which was your little comeback to someone else bringing up that he's not the first person to struggle with a tag.

He plays and trains with the strapping on most of the time. But he's not the only bloke that does that, half the league tapes up on a regular basis.

He ran 15kms on Saturday, if his knee was broken he wouldn't be doing that. The issue was he got smashed by Harmes and couldn't break the tag. He tried to out run it and couldn't. It's something he's got to work on as he hasn't copped that kind of attention much with clubs previously targeting Mitchell or Smith more.

Yeah had a poor year by foot but that will improve when he gets to balance his game more playing more outside. Was an absolute bull last year.

I don’t see that as an issue, he turns it over even with time and space and the kick is relatively simple to execute.

His technique has been compromised due to injury, which leads to some pretty mixed results.

I’d prefer him playing predominantly on the inside if I was a Hawthorn fan.

I don’t see that as an issue, he turns it over even with time and space and the kick is relatively simple to execute.

His technique has been compromised due to injury, which leads to some pretty mixed results.

I’d prefer him playing predominantly on the inside if I was a Hawthorn fan.
Disagree, don't think his injury is affecting his kicking at all. He is back fit and just needs to stay on the park and get a feel for the game. Has improved each year since coming to the Hawks.

Of course he should be mainly an inside mid, like i said he is a bull. Needs more of a balance, he still has great speed and we need him to be on the receiving end of handballs out of contests so he can use that speed to break away from contests.

Good luck to him, he’s a great talent and would be a shame if he didn’t fulfil his potential.

He won’t ever fulfil his talent, but he was tauted as a generational player and it was always going to be hard to match the hype.

He also used to be a beautiful kick of the ball and has regressed significantly as his action has changed. Watch his junior highlights to show just how drastically different it is. His current action is very awkward, which is why he has a tendency to butcher the ball.

Worpel overtook him last year, and he’ll never be more than just a good complimentary mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back