Jaeger O'Meara

Remove this Banner Ad

He won’t ever fulfil his talent, but he was tauted as a generational player and it was always going to be hard to match the hype.

He also used to be a beautiful kick of the ball and has regressed significantly as his action has changed. Watch his junior highlights to show just how drastically different it is. His current action is very awkward, which is why he has a tendency to butcher the ball.

Worpel overtook him last year, and he’ll never be more than just a good complimentary mid.
Some absolute statements in here. Interesting what hindsight will bring in the upcoming years.

Some absolute statements in here. Interesting what hindsight will bring in the upcoming years.

Probably more of the same. Decent pressure, good use of hands, poor kicking skills and getting caught trying to fend off too often.

We’ve been told from day dot he’d prove us wrong, and he’s yet to do so, but given how highly he was regarded prior to injury it was always going to be a tough task fulfilling his junior talent.

Generational midfielder vs not being in the best 2 mids at Hawthorn was always going to be a bridge too far.

Probably more of the same. Decent pressure, good use of hands, poor kicking skills and getting caught trying to fend off too often.

We’ve been told from day dot he’d prove us wrong, and he’s yet to do so, but given how highly he was regarded prior to injury it was always going to be a tough task fulfilling his junior talent.

Generational midfielder vs not being in the best 2 mids at Hawthorn was always going to be a bridge too far.
So let it be written

How are the Hawthorn medicos going to fix his chronic lack of talent and competitiveness?
The guy taken at number 1 and kicked 38 and 45 goals in his last 2 full seasons has no talent?

Yeah righto champ.

He has improved every year since joining the club, who is to say this is anywhere near the finished product?

Besides we were told he would never play again, he has stayed on the park for 2 full years. Already proved a lot of Big Footy experts wrong.

He has improved every year since joining the club, who is to say this is anywhere near the finished product?

Besides we were told he would never play again, he has stayed on the park for 2 full years. Already proved a lot of Big Footy experts wrong.
The poster doesn't want to imagine the possibility of Jaegar improving each year because that would go against the narrative he is pushing

The guy taken at number 1 and kicked 38 and 45 goals in his last 2 full seasons has no talent?

Yeah righto champ.

No worries boss, thanks for proving my point.

45 goals as his absolute peak (in a strong team) is mediocre for a guy taken as a first pick in the draft, and he was taken at Pick 1 due to beating up on smaller and lighter players at junior level.

Recruiters don’t take lumbering key forwards early on the draft anymore, partly due to players showing how big the gap between dominating as a key forward at junior level vs dominating at AFL level is.

He started on a very low base, with his first year being a virtual write off.

His 2nd and 3rd there was only a minor distinction in terms of overall output, but he’s not trending strongly upward and he had to take on extra responsibility out of necessity due Mitchell’s absence.

No worries boss, thanks for proving my point.

45 goals as his absolute peak (in a strong team) is mediocre for a guy taken as a first pick in the draft, and he was taken at Pick 1 due to beating up on smaller and lighter players at junior level.

Recruiters don’t take lumbering key forwards early on the draft anymore, partly due to players showing how big the gap between dominating as a key forward at junior level vs dominating at AFL level is.
45 goals is not mediocre for anyone other than the very very elite key forwards. He has talent, it is his body that has let him down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So similar output as Tim Membrey and Jeremy Findlayson last year in his best year of footy.

That’s mediocre.
Again in career years for them, kicking 45 goals in a year proves he has talent. I am not suggesting he is a superstar. He doesn't need to live up the number 1 draft pick for us because we didn't use that. He gets anywhere near 40 goals a year for us and that is a huge success.

I don't disagree with anything that was said. JOM is a B-grade mid and it's doubtful that he'll ever rise above that. After his first couple of seasons you would have thought he'd end up as a Brownlow Medalist and multi-time All-Australian and B&F winner. Injuries have ruined what could have potentially been one of the great careers. Just my opinion.

If he played at Carlton he'd easily be in the top 2 mids in 2019 though. After Cripps, your next best Brownlow vote getter (Murphy) had only slightly more than half as many votes as JOM. Yes, Carlton were s**t most of the year, so had trouble getting votes, and JOM was our leading mid, but JOM was arguably playing in the worst midfield in the competition for the first half of the season before Wingard got fit enough for midfield minutes and Worpel started to perform on a consistent basis. Walsh will obviously be very good , and probably better than what we've seen of JOM so far, but still a gap between Walsh and JOM (and Worpel too, who was unlucky to be one game outside rising star eligibility).

I don't disagree with anything that was said. JOM is a B-grade mid and it's doubtful that he'll ever rise above that. After his first couple of seasons you would have thought he'd end up as a Brownlow Medalist and multi-time All-Australian and B&F winner. Injuries have ruined what could have potentially been one of the great careers. Just my opinion.
You forgot "I'm happy to be proven wrong".

I don’t care if plonkers like you rate him as A grade, B grade or C grade. Makes no difference to me whether people think he is elite or the next tier down or the tier a few centimetres down below that and to the right. I won’t lose sleep if people put him in their top 50 with a bullet or have him in their Hottest 100 or Nottest 200

As long as O’Meara teams well with Mitchell, Worpel, Shiels, Smith, Scully and Henderson and helps the Hawks win a few games and avoid the cliff we’re supposed to fall off then I’ll be satisfied.

It’s good to see the narks on Big Footy criticising him. These were the same folks who writing his obituary 2-3 years ago. He must be travelling okay.

Last edited:
How are the Hawthorn medicos going to fix his chronic lack of talent and competitiveness?
He finished 5th in the best and fairest in 2018 and finished 3rd last year.

He averaged 6.2 clearances which was 12th best in the AFL

He averaged more contested possessions per game than every Essendon player and every Carlton player besides Cripps (ahead of Matt & Brad Crouch, Taranto, Kelly, Shuey, Sheed, Shiel, Merrett, Martin, Gray, Wines, Pendlebury and Zorko)

Last edited:
He finished 5th in the best and fairest in 2018 and finished 3rd last year.

He averaged more contested possessions per game than every Essendon player and every Carlton player besides Cripps (ahead of Matt & Brad Crouch, Taranto, Kelly, Shuey, Sheed, Shiel, Merrett, Martin, Gray, Wines, Pendlebury and Zorko)

Pay attention, I was talking about Patton.

Amazing though the number of contested possessions JOM manages to get ahead of outside mids such as Kelly, Shuey, Shiel, Merrett and Zorko, and part-time forwards in Martin and Gray.

No one is debating JOM can get the ball, it’s what he does with it is the issue.

Bit early for a tipple Jobe?

He won’t ever fulfil his talent, but he was tauted as a generational player and it was always going to be hard to match the hype.

He also used to be a beautiful kick of the ball and has regressed significantly as his action has changed. Watch his junior highlights to show just how drastically different it is. His current action is very awkward, which is why he has a tendency to butcher the ball.

Worpel overtook him last year, and he’ll never be more than just a good complimentary mid.
If Worpel played for Carlton would be their second best mid as a 20 yo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back