Jaeger O'Meara

Remove this Banner Ad

If he comes out with half the body David Swallow has built himself I will be impressed. But mind you it's useless having a body built like a brick shithouse if you can not use it in a game. So he is gonna have to play SOME games!

Rest assured I mean this in the most heterosexual way possible :eek:

O'meara to become like Ablett

Or we can only hope ;)

Jaeger246a.jpg

079381-jaeger-o-039-meara.jpg

GOLD Coast coach Guy McKenna admits he hasn't seen too much of teenage prodigy Jaeger O'Meara doing what he does best in the flesh, but he is certain about one thing.

The quietly-spoken 17-year-old from Dongara has what it takes to become a superstar.

McKenna agreed acquiring the future draft rights to O’Meara from Greater Western Sydney was a steal and he believed playing him alongside Suns captain Gary Ablett from 2013 would significantly benefit not just the player, but the whole club.

“I actually texted Gaz ‘he said his favourite number is 9’ so (be) prepared to give that one up,” the coach joked.

“I think that’s an advantage for some of these young boys. We understand what sort of player Gary has been over the course of his career and what an elite talent he has been and he’s also such a great leader.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/gold-coast-coach-guy-mckenna-marvels-at-his-gun-of-a-sun-jaeger-omeara/story-fn6mh93f-1226172082043

Damn, congratulations on this pick. You guys are surely looking the goods in the not too distant future. As a Docker's supporter I have a soft spot for your club. The way both teams are going we might just head off in a GF relatively soon, we would win of course, that goes without saying, but your list is astonishing!

Interesting to see in his interview that he loves the beach, which is why the Gold Coast was his preferred destination after any of the WA clubs.

Looks like another beach boy to join Shaw and Brennan. Sounds good. :cool:

His favourite player was also Peter Matera, much to Bluey's dismay! Hope he and Brandon get along well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played his first real 'game' on the weekend, if you could call it such.

Starting on the bench(not the sub) against Melbourne for his first game. Picked up 1 disposal and 2 tackles. Clearly took him some time to get used to the speed of the game.

Saw much more of his future in the game against Brisbane. He was subbed in for Hunt in the second quarter. So in 20 minutes of play with time-on, he amassed 5 kicks, 2 handballs and 2 tackles. Certainly not bad at all.

hi sunny.

what caught my attention with omeara is his blistering pace, speed off the mark, and his anticipation.

anticipation can be learned. pace can be built.

but nothing cept a lucky bag of genetics and subconcious will, can make a jaeger omeara.

Damn. Every time I watch his highlights above I curse at not being able to see him in the seniors this year. :D

Anyway.

His first NEAFL appearance was a resounding success. Was far and away the best player in the team, according to Reserves Coach Shaun Hart.

jaeg.jpg

Hart didn’t hesitate when asked who was the best performed SUNS player.

“Jaegar O’Meara was outstanding as we expected him to be. He was the best man on the ground by a fair way,” he said.

When further quizzed on O’Meara, Hart couldn’t hide his excitement at his talent, and the frustration that the SUNS will have to wait until next season to see him at senior level.

“He is very exciting. The Sydney crowd that got their early would have been pretty excited to watch him play,” he said.

“It was a pleasure to see him running around and the speed he plays the game at already. His offensive and defensive balance, he plays both parts of the game very well, as well as stoppages.

“He was just outstanding today.

“It is going to be one of those things we have to keep being frustrated by that we won’t see him at senior level this year because he would play in the seniors, there is no doubt about that.

A great experience: O’Meara

Travelling with the boys to Melbourne last week taught me a lot about life as an AFL footballer and also made me twice as determined to learn everything I can this season so I'm ready to press my case for selection in round 1 next year.

It was great experience for a young footballer, not to mention a great performance by the team against the Kangaroos, and I got a lot out of the trip.

In addition to the procedural aspects of travelling that I learnt, the opportunity to spend time with the senior players was golden.

Being on flights with them, in the hotel, at meals and in team meetings and then in the rooms etc, it all really helped me to develop my relationships with them.

I love being in the football environment and I'm desperate to play round one next year, so I really want to work hard on those relationships.

My view of footy is that it is important to have strong relationships off the ground as well. That seems to be a strength of the teams that do really well. You look at Geelong, they all get along really well and it seems to be important to them.

I think that sort of culture is important to the SUNS to.

The travel protocols were a real eye opener and something I'll need to learn more about.

Being able to win on the road will be crucial to our success in the future and getting our travel practices right is very important.

Things such as hydration, what you eat, your sleeping patterns and recovery disciplines take on extra significance when you are playing interstate.

Another highlight was going to watch the Eagles play the Tigers with the coach.

The most important thing I took away was that West Coast’s defensive game was a lot better than Richmond's. That is really important in the AFL at the moment where the better sides are the ones that are stronger defensively.

Bluey asked me to follow one player and I chose Trent Cotchin. The thing that struck me was his change of pace. He really used his explosiveness to his advantage, you could see that he had perfect timing of when to go and go hard.

It was a great lesson for me because he is a player I have always loved to watch and I hope to be able to develop into a similar type player in the coming years

http://goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-media/news/a-great-experience-omeara/page-1/

Just thought I'd post here, what are our expectations from Jaeger next year? Where do you see him fitting?

I can't see him on ball straight away, I think will be nursed a little more in development compared to 2011 and 2012 with our young players. I'm expecting him to play a half forward/wing role.

I actually don't want to see him in the middle of the ground on ball. We'll have Swallow, Caddy, Bennell at times in their 3rd year. With a fit Rischa, Hunt and Ablett. I don't think he's required and should be nursed through the competition 1 more year before putting him in the guts.

I agree SK. Half forward or wing would be my choice too. Maybe even deeper forward. I expect he'll play most of the season in the seniors, if not injured. He seems to be jumping out of his skin to get a game, so he might force his way into the middle before too long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back