Jai Newcombe vs Chad Warner

Starting a team from scratch, which one do you pick?

• Jai Newcombe

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 74 58.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Inspired by friendly banter between myself and a Swan supporting mate, let's settle it BigFooty style.

Same age. Statistically very close over their careers and even closer so far in season 2023.

Who would you take if you were building a list from scratch and could only pick one?

To clarify, I said all pre-season you'd probably take Warner on exposed form. Comparing them this season I'm swaying more towards Jai, largely because he's squashed the dialogue that suggested he didn't have that much improvement left from his 2022 form. Genuinely believe his ceiling could be anything now.

Last edited:
2 things working against you here.

1. Everyone votes against the guy the OP supports.
2. The answer is Chad Warner.

Both good options though

Both were instrumental in their sides victories this weekend.

Will be fun to track their paths over the next decade.

Should have left it until the end of the season to start this poll. Votes may have ended up closer.

Both have just turned 22 and have just ticked over 50 games.

Stats wise they are very close this season, with Newcombe just edging it. Having said that there are still a few games left.

Touches
Duke - 25.2
Warner - 24.9

Contested Touches
Duke - 11.4
Warner - 10.6

Clearances | Centre Clearances
Duke - 5.7 | 2.7
Warner - 4.5 | 1.9

Tackles
Duke - 4.4
Warner - 4.3

Goals & Behinds
Warner - 14.13
Duke - 11.8

Score Involvements
Warner - 6.8
Duke - 6.4

Goal Assists
Duke - 0.6
Warner - 0.6

Disposal Efficiency
Duke - 77%
Warner - 65.1%

Clangers
Duke - 4.0
Warner - 4.4

Turnovers
Duke - 3.7
Warner - 5.4

Metres Gained
Warner - 487.1
Duke - 356.3

Voted Chad Warner as he is a better player.

Both have just turned 22 and have just ticked over 50 games.

Stats wise they are very close this season, with Newcombe just edging it. Having said that there are still a few games left.

Touches
Duke - 25.2
Warner - 24.9

Contested Touches
Duke - 11.4
Warner - 10.6

Clearances | Centre Clearances
Duke - 5.7 | 2.7
Warner - 4.5 | 1.9

Tackles
Duke - 4.4
Warner - 4.3

Goals & Behinds
Warner - 14.13
Duke - 11.8

Score Involvements
Warner - 6.8
Duke - 6.4

Goal Assists
Duke - 0.6
Warner - 0.6

Disposal Efficiency
Duke - 77%
Warner - 65.1%

Clangers
Duke - 4.0
Warner - 4.4

Turnovers
Duke - 3.7
Warner - 5.4

Metres Gained
Warner - 487.1
Duke - 356.3

Doesn't get much more even.

Two absolute steals for both clubs.

For anybody who voted Warner I would be curious to know why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chad Warner by the length of Yarra River

He is a better line breaker, goal kicker and has proven match winning ability (esp in big games)

Newcombe is a bit overrated right now. Got a fair way to go and improvement before he can be considered an A grader in my opinion.

Chad Warner by the length of Yarra River

He is a better line breaker, goal kicker and has proven match winning ability (esp in big games)

Newcombe is a bit overrated right now. Got a fair way to go and improvement before he can be considered an A grader in my opinion.

Warner must have had a horrendous season by his standards then, considering the umpires, coaches and All Australian commitee all rated Newcombe higher and their stats were almost identical.

Warner must have had a horrendous season by his standards then, considering the umpires, coaches and All Australian commitee all rated Newcombe higher and their stats were almost identical.

Warner had an off season by his high standards yes.

His best form of footy is more impressive than anything i have seen from Newcombe.

Surely you can admit Warner has a higher ceiling than Newcombe ?

His best form of footy is more impressive than anything i have seen from Newcombe.

12 months ago possibly.

Not now.

Did you actually watch Newcombe play this year, or only his average game against Carlton?

He was 2 marks off the rare AFL quadruple double in a losing effort against Adelaide.
Had 14 disposals in the third quarter against Brisbane after we were down at half time, setting up our victory.
And had one of the most dominant midfield performances of the season against the Bulldogs with 40 disposals at over 80% efficiency and a goal.

Those are just 3 examples, but there are more if you'd like.

He's winning this poll as well.

Having the opinion that you'd prefer Warner is fine.
Suggesting he's a far better player and has a higher ceiling than Newcombe with the evidence at hand is complete denial.

Newcombe is already significantly outperforming warner even though warner has had far more development, with double the number of preseasons.

It is incredible to think just how much more newcombe is likely to improve with more time to catch up on all he missed out on.

Warner has a bit of heeney about him.

For anybody who voted Warner I would be curious to know why.
Because he is comfortably a better player. Has much more impact on the contest with his linebreaking ability.

Not sure why this poll is as close as it is. Warner should be leading by a fair bit more. If he were playing for a Vic team, he certainly would be.

Back