Scandal Jaidyn Stephenson - Betting on Pies games

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno why the league was worried about a court challenge by Collingwood about the seagull missing finals. They would have never over ruled. An end of year penalty was never manifestly excessive.

By that logic we should be unstoppable in the second half

It is only your little safe space club board who goes on about him like that. Bloke is a gun forward, his speed and leading patterns get him into so much space, quite often close to goal

The AFL’s approach to this just shows how confused their organisational thinking is:

- Gambling on any AFL game is against the rules.
- Player puts bets on multiple games he is involved in.
- He is in a position to influence the results of those bets.
- Stakes are, however, small and he has self-reported.

I’d say based on the above it should be a significant ban because of integrity issues (1-2 years).

Personally, as someone who likes a punt on the games in similar amounts to him - and because of how normalised it is due to all codes getting into bed with betting agencies - I could also understand a lighter sentence. But only if the AFL were capable of admitting that gambling is now part of the fabric of the game and maybe we need to re-evaluate that.

The second option isn’t likely, but the first isn’t palatable either given probable backlash at their hypocrisy and losing a great young player for a long stretch, so they end up going at it in a half-hearted way. In doing so, they completely screw it up.

- They’ve opened up a very real possibility that he comes back and plays a pivotal role in the outcome of the flag. Why not just suspend him for the year?
- It’s still not effective enough to be a deterrent, provided you make sure you place your bets on your own games in the first half of the season.

On the back of other idiocy in recent weeks, if Gil was CEO in almost any other walk of life he’d be asked for his resignation. Not holding my breath though.

He'll be working for Sportsbet when he retires. Seriously, the AFL needs to do away with gambling sponsorship and should put a caveat on retired players working for those establishments straight out of retirement.

So you know that was the game he backed himself to kick 3 goals do you? Maybe it was maybe it wasn't but you don't know so the rest of your post is just a guess.

He is very lucky with his punishment and even the Pies need a bit of a kicking for their veiw on what they thought the puishment should be, but seriously people post like no one is reading it.

Personally, I see his laid back laugh with a team mate about losing the bet as someone that obviously knew it was wrong but not how wrong. Steve Smith who is older and Captain of the country came out after the game and said what they did was wrong and sorry we won't do it again, like that was appropriate. It wasn't till there was an out cry that he realised how serious it was.

Stevo tells a team mate and is then surprised by the team mates response about the seriousness of it. If he understood how bad it was would he have said anything to his team mate? Doesn't change how bad it was but people going with he was caught out to diminish his remorse just doesn't fit. He wasn't caught out, he told a team mate. Howe might have threatened to tell or might have said leave it to you but this is big..who knows. I really think once that discussion was had, was the first time the idiot realised how bad it was.
Don’t think it matters whether we know the specifics or not. The fact everyone’s now questioning his actions on field tells you all you need to know. Puts the integrity and look of the game at risk. Every time Pakistan drop a catch everyone’s mind goes straight to match fixing, every time the Aussies get a ball swinging everyone starts wondering whether they’re up to their old tricks. No one wants footy going down that path.. where every crazy shot at goal (60 metre torps) or every shocking kick at goal, is questioned. You know it’s happening when he gets back.

No reversing here at all. You need to accept the truth. What do you think he can have a issue because he plays at your club?

Great. Good luck with it. I think you may need it.

My opinion on you talking rubbish has nothing to do with who i support. At the very least I don't pretend to support someone else with a second account.

People realise this penalty is up there with past gambling indiscretions right? Calls for multiple years bans etc are laughable.

Multiple years is overs, rest of the season should have been guarenteed. He got 2 more weeks than Shaw with two additional instances of betting on his own game, $26 in additional bets. Tell me how that makes sense

There hasn’t been any mention as to how much he stood to collect on his bets which I think is important as thats why people put multi’s on - to win big. The rumour up this neck of the woods was $30k. Anyone else heard how much?

Does anyone else think that the moral players will take from this is "The AFL and the betting agencies don't have a clue: just don't use your own account and don't tell anyone and you'll be sweet"?

Of course, they may be in for a nasty surprise at how thorough the agencies can be if their Stephenson-esque multi actually wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you believe them and it was only $36, then if i was a pie supporter id be filthy with howe for pressuring him to own up. If it was only $36, and he has no gambling issue, surely a leader would have helped him cover it up.

No way it was $36 bets, why doesnt the Afl release the full details? Ofc they're hiding something. As i said b4 he's lucky with 10 weeks. Hope the full story comes out one day.

Multiple years is overs, rest of the season should have been guarenteed. He got 2 more weeks than Shaw with two additional instances of betting on his own game, $26 in additional bets. Tell me how that makes sense
It's pretty obvious. Shaw's bet concerned confidential information that the public shouldn't have known (Maxwell playing forward). Stephenson's weren't based on private information.

Compromising the integrity of the game? You mean like sending 2 teams to China, and one team gets food poisoning and loses the game. That kind of compromise? Let's start at the top if we're gonna talk about integrity. Not a 20 year old kid. September will be here in no time at all. Gil might be gone by then with any luck. Dare to dream. Did you hear him on triple M? Where did the monotone drawl go? Turns out he can talk like a human being afterall, if things get serious enough. Fake CEO. Can we stop talking about Stephenson & refocus? You think the timing was a coincidence? What other AFL distractions have you enjoyed these past 2 weeks? How about 'we're thinking about backdating the premierships to 1870?' Did you like that one? Or this one, 'if the Cats & Pies finish 1st & 4th respectively the final might be at the cattery.' They're playing us. Refocus. Any chance the press could focus on Gil they way they do with losing coaches? The AFL owns the stadium. Of course he knew. Security were taking photos of people and sending them to AFL house? How the **** did this story die? I guess security's motives were pure. Unlike Ian Collin's security, who would force people out of their seats at the end of games so he could turn the power off quickly and save a few bucks. He's in his grave right now with a big grin on his face. Gil's a failure. He can't get through an AFL season without a spate of scandals. How ******* hard can it be to put on a game of football? The crowd's getting out of control? Gee I wonder why. Could it be the same reason society's constantly outraged. Poor leadership and a media who spend every waking hour finding ways to keep us outraged. The first person who needs to go is that dumb bastard with the deep voice who does the preamble to each game on 7 & fox. Lighten up dude. It's not life & death. You want to Americanize the game? Fine. I'll do as they do in Amerika and go to the gun store and shoot the Sydney cheer squad. Then I'll head to the Whitten Oval. I was gonna go to the VFL this week but guess what? No dogs allowed at the Whitten Oval. Of all clubs, you'd think a club that calls themselves the Dogs, would let dogs in. How precious are they? So what if Roughhead landed in dog s**t. He probably deserved it. No paragraphs. That's how outraged I am. **** paragraphs.
Shame your not as outraged about Stephenson bringing the game into disrepute.

I dont think it's too relevant how much he bet. I care more of what the winnings would've been. He bet on a multi ffs.

We only know about this as the one leg he couldn't control was a teammate possession count costing him the win.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Would the punishment be the same if the multi got up? Serious question.

Then I'll head to the Whitten Oval. I was gonna go to the VFL this week but guess what? No dogs allowed at the Whitten Oval. Of all clubs, you'd think a club that calls themselves the Dogs, would let dogs in. How precious are they? So what if Roughhead landed in dog s**t. He probably deserved it. No paragraphs. That's how outraged I am. **** paragraphs.
Should Richmond similarly allow tigers to roam the MCG?

Ah the old Adam H deflection. You guys are under the pump and protest too much.You can't defend the indefencable. Something smells too high heaven here and it relates to your club.

Are we under the pump? A few numpties espousing conspiracy theories on BigFooty hardly constitutes under the pump to me.

Agreed. 100% it's match fixing and he needs years if not life ban. **** has no place in any sports.

Let's take cricket for example. Here's a list of bans handed down over the years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cricketers_banned_for_corruption

which one of those simply laid a couple of small bets on himself and his team to win?

None- all were balls deep in conspiracy to throw games/spot fix.

HUUUUUUGE difference to what the little bogan from Collingwood did.

Added to that- all of those players had a significant ability to change the outcome of games- a few actual captains- compared to a dumb young fella who did what an average dumb young fella does.

Too many hysterical responses here- he's a moron and copped a fair whack. Those wanting him hung drawn and quartered need to go and find a new hobby

Would the punishment be the same if the multi got up? Serious question.
I think a more serious indepth investigation would need to take place, and out of AFL hands as they can't be trusted to handle it.

If it got up, did he actively make sure it did?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back