Scandal Jaidyn Stephenson - Betting on Pies games

TheShardMan

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Howe did the same thing with De Goey, he’s a great club man

Or maybe he's just a preachy snitch? Pies don't win 1990 if they didn't cover up Millane's indiscretions. Nor would they have won 2010 if they took such a hard line towards the rat pack.

I dont believe for a minute that it was only $36 bucks. It must've been a bigger issue for Howe to kick up a fuss. if not, and it was only those 3 bets, i think internally a lot of staff and players wouldnt be happy with Howe.

cakewalk06

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or maybe he's just a preachy snitch? Pies don't win 1990 if they didn't cover up Millane's indiscretions. Nor would they have won 2010 if they took such a hard line towards the rat pack.

Genuinely curious as a lifelong Pies fans about what these alleged indiscretions are for Millane in 1990 and the Rat Pack in 2010?

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson

I dont believe for a minute that it was only $36 bucks. It must've been a bigger issue for Howe to kick up a fuss. if not, and it was only those 3 bets, i think internally a lot of staff and players wouldnt be happy with Howe.

Stephenson May have gotten away with it. Completely disagree that the staff would be unhappy with Howe. If he kept going and somehow did get caught he would be in a lot more trouble, considering he’s only 20, he did the right thing

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't see any problems with players betting on themselves to win or kick goals. It's only when you bet on the opposition, which is match fixing. In horse racing, jockeys, trainers and connections are allowed to bet on their own horses.
He needs to be out there doing what's best for his team; not what's best for his multi. Him going for goal isn't necessarily what's best for the team - therefore: game integrity.

No. Jockeys can't bet. Damien Oliver got 10 months suspension and that was pathetically light. Admittedly, he bet against his own horse.

Probably nothing underhanded in the bet because he knew his mount couldn't win; just against the rules.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

$36 is a big issue. Didn't you notice the penalty

good4footy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Ham
So according to Sam McClure Stephenson cost himself his multi in the Saints game by kicking that goal with a torp. Apparently he had the Pies by under 39 and that kick put them 46 points up with a couple of minutes to go.

According to McClure that was one of the instances that lead to the AFL not charging him with match fixing but only their anti gambling rules.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
So according to Sam McClure Stephenson cost himself his multi in the Saints game by kicking that goal with a torp. Apparently he had the Pies by under 39 and that kick put them 46 points up with a couple of minutes to go.

According to McClure that was one of the instances that lead to the AFL not charging him with match fixing but only their anti gambling rules.
Makes sense. If there was spot fixing involved I suspect young Jayden would be looking at a new career.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Yep this is really starting to stink now.

So Stephenson cost himself the multi...but was in the changeroom complaining to Howe that a teammate had cost him the multi?

If we ever get the full story coming out, JS will do the full 22 weeks imo.

What were the rest of the legs? Did he also have him kicking 3 goals? Why not tell us the bets and the games they were placed?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
It’s a good question. I wonder if they release all the bets. If not, why? You have to wonder.

I did a rough multi on my board of what that multi would have equated to had he won betting the amount that he did.

It worked out to be a ~$10k winfall. Thats why the AFL wont release the bet, because saying $36 makes it sound like a small little mistake whereas winning a $10k multi would have most people questioning if he tried to fix a game.

Hawks_4478

All Australian
Jan 19, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I did a rough multi on my board of what that multi would have equated to had he won betting the amount that he did.

It worked out to be a ~$10k winfall. Thats why the AFL wont release the bet, because saying $36 makes it sound like a small little mistake whereas winning a $10k multi would have most people questioning if he tried to fix a game.

The AFL should release to the public what the bets were for full disclosure and transparency...

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

The fact he bet on the outcome and margin of a game he was playing in makes this inexcusable.

10 weeks is an absolute joke. Absolute joke.

The fact he bet on the outcome and margin of a game he was playing in makes this inexcusable.

10 weeks is an absolute joke. Absolute joke.

Anybody that knows anything about punting, seriously would know that the torpedo goal that Stephenson needed to kick was so that one of his legs of his multi's would salute. The fact that he kicked it in time on, tells how tough and remote his chances are to kick a goal. This happens many times in player markets, where certain players will go goalless.

There was plenty of time remaining for the opposition to score a goal so that the Pies would win by 1-39 a requirement for his multi, "if" Stephenson was trying to match fix a result. That would not be hard to manufacture if he was so inclined. Such as giving away a free kick, a clanger etc etc.

As the probability of any opposition player to kick a goal to bring the margin under 40pts would be much much less compared to a specific player required to kick a goal in the last few minutes.

To dumb this down, Stephneson kicking the goal keeps his multi alive. If he had missed it may have been his last chance to kick a goal and thereby effectively killing his multi. There was always more time for the Saints to kick a goal, especially given that it was a high scoring game.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
Anybody that knows anything about punting, seriously would know that the torpedo goal that Stephenson needed to kick was so that one of his legs of his multi's would salute. The fact that he kicked it in time on, tells how tough and remote his chances are to kick a goal. This happens many times in player markets, where certain players will go goalless.

There was plenty of time remaining for the opposition to score a goal so that the Pies would win by 1-39 a requirement for his multi, "if" Stephenson was trying to match fix a result. That would not be hard to manufacture if he was so inclined. Such as giving away a free kick, a clanger etc etc.

As the probability of any opposition player to kick a goal to bring the margin under 40pts would be much much less compared to a specific player required to kick a goal in the last few minutes.

To dumb this down, Stephneson kicking the goal keeps his multi alive. If he had missed it may have been his last chance to kick a goal and thereby effectively killing his multi. There was always more time for the Saints to kick a goal, especially given that it was a high scoring game.
Spot on.

Part of that thinking is why I don't buy that this is the first year he's done it. Who starts off betting on those kind of outcomes in a multi straight away in their betting activities.

There's way too many unanswered questions and the 3 betting slips he's made can be checked. The AFL would know of these details and have purposely not revealed them as I'm sure it doesn't fit the narrative they want.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
giphy.gif

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
And this is why the AFL can do what they do.

Supporters of teams/players that do dodgy things, would rather it go away and move onto something else.

This scandal, it's Collingwood supporters. Drugs saga it was Essendon. It'll happen again with the next scandal. People are too subjective and emotional.

Last edited:
Back