Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People forget how good his first year was. Second year blues and off field antics derailed any chance he had at a meaningful career pretty quickly though.
Even in 2019 the last game before his gambling came to light was a ripper on Queens Birthday. With better conversion it would have been a huge day, he had 10 shots on goal.

Even in 2019 the last game before his gambling came to light was a ripper on Queens Birthday. With better conversion it would have been a huge day, he had 10 shots on goal.
Yeah, pre suspension he'd taken it up a notch in 2019 and was looking a million bucks. Killing blokes on the lead and then taking it as clean as a whistle. Bombing torps. A speckie or two. There was even a great goal assist where he magnificently corralled a bloke on the boundary line, squeezed in on him and then pounced, then picked up the spill and set up a teammate. When the gambling story first came out, it came out as "young magpie star". I remember going "*. Don't be Stepho. Please not Stepho. Anyone but Stepho."

Something got broken with that suspension, but I hope he regains what he had.

IIRC Collingwood have only ever had 2 rising stars, and Stephenson was one of them. And IIRC Stephenson has the record for the most rising star points. And one kick off being a Premiership player in his first year.

Hard to fault the decision to recruit him. He was a star player right up to the point he got busted for gambling on the footy - and he’s been more or less off the rails ever since.
He's our only AFL Rising Star winner, though perhaps you're including 2018 AFLW winner Chloe Molloy? At the time he had the record for the most votes*, but Sam Walsh beat it a year later.

* Stephenson got 52 out of a maximum 55 votes (11 voters gave 5,4,3,2,1 votes) in 2018. It is rather misleading to talk of most Rising Star points, however, as for the first four years of the award the votes weren't made public, and there's been several occasions where the winner got the maximum votes possible. Byron Pickett won with 30 votes in 1998, but all 5 judges gave him (the maximum) 6 votes. Jared Rivers, Daniel Rich and Daniel Hannebery also polled the maximum number of votes, with all 9 judges giving them 5 votes, for a total of 45.

Jaidyn had the football world at his feet at the end of 2018, but his decline from 2019 onwards has been quite extraordinary. Watching how things pan out from here on in will be quite fascinating!

He's our only AFL Rising Star winner, though perhaps you're including 2018 AFLW winner Chloe Molloy? At the time he had the record for the most votes*, but Sam Walsh beat it a year later.

* Stephenson got 52 out of a maximum 55 votes (11 voters gave 5,4,3,2,1 votes) in 2018. It is rather misleading to talk of most Rising Star points, however, as for the first four years of the award the votes weren't made public, and there's been several occasions where the winner got the maximum votes possible. Byron Pickett won with 30 votes in 1998, but all 5 judges gave him (the maximum) 6 votes. Jared Rivers, Daniel Rich and Daniel Hannebery also polled the maximum number of votes, with all 9 judges giving them 5 votes, for a total of 45.

Jaidyn had the football world at his feet at the end of 2018, but his decline from 2019 onwards has been quite extraordinary. Watching how things pan out from here on in will be quite fascinating!
He's probably including Bucks who won it when at Brissy.

People forget how good his first year was. Second year blues and off field antics derailed any chance he had at a meaningful career pretty quickly though.
3rd year blues. He was in our top 10 players comfortably in 2019 before being busted for gambling, led the league for marks inside 50 to that point.

He's our only AFL Rising Star winner, though perhaps you're including 2018 AFLW winner Chloe Molloy?

I was thinking of Nathan Buckley - who wasn’t even playing for us during the season he won it.

There is nothing inappropriate, unwarranted or tone deaf about what I said. Fact

The issue at hand is that you like a host of privileged others have become too sensitive. Not my issue. And yes being sensitive in todays age about something so trivial is a privilege. So back in your box
Get back in the bin, basement-dweller

"Stevo should play AFLW because women aren't as strong or as fast as men, not lesser... just weaker."

Please.

Clear intent to insult Stevo by insinuating that he should play against girls. At the same time the statement is demeaning to women.

Not a kind thing to say.
Not sure if you’ve noticed but not everything on these boards is kind.

Stephenson is a rubbish footballer, there is nothing outrageous about suggesting he plays in a league more suited to his abilities. In the VFLW I think he would be quite good, although potentially even there he would struggle with the physicality.

How have I demeaned women in all of this? All I’ve done is point out the obvious.

Great post, informative…resorting to insults suggests you concede and haven’t the decency to recognise you’re wrong. Lucky I’m here to straighten out your thinking, thank me later.
You are unbelievably cringeworthy. I'm resorting to insults because it's all you're worth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back