Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In some way you could say Treloar was Selfish as did not want to do the Right thing for the Club

I think it shows players have to much power, I follow the club first and foremost. Clubs should be able to trade players, if you’re good enough and valued you don’t get traded. Surplus in one area should be traded to fill a need elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think it shows players have to much power, I follow the club first and foremost. Clubs should be able to trade players, if you’re good enough and valued you don’t get traded. Surplus in one area should be traded to fill a need elsewhere.

Be like American Sport when a Player has no say in a Trade Unless they have a No Trade Clause or Clause to say where they can get Traded To

Looking forward to this thread rivalling, and then surpassing the Nathan Freeman thread for longevity.

Like most of us i think we got ripped off in the Stephenson trade,. No one knows his celling? he could be anything he could still be the next big thing!
Treloar i understand he had a heavy contract which kept all other clubs luke warm in getting him.
Stephenson still suprises me that the roos seem like the only club that showed interest?
Why? I dont accept that he was a bit of an idiot? ie Noble incident. With so much talent you would think you can turn him ariund like Dane Swan and his mate Dustie

Like most of us i think we got ripped off in the Stephenson trade,. No one knows his celling? he could be anything he could still be the next big thing!
Treloar i understand he had a heavy contract which kept all other clubs luke warm in getting him.
Stephenson still suprises me that the roos seem like the only club that showed interest?
Why? I dont accept that he was a bit of an idiot? ie Noble incident. With so much talent you would think you can turn him ariund like Dane Swan and his mate Dustie
What was the Noble incident?

Players have the right amount of power, they shouldn’t be forced to move to places they don’t want to go just because the club stuffed their cap.

Looking like we made the right decision every day. Some things change. While some things stay the same

2654dcae1d738b0d4b91d6ed468e9c17.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Looking like we made the right decision every day. Some things change. While some things stay the same

2654dcae1d738b0d4b91d6ed468e9c17.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Club is more concerned about other 'issues' than drinking based on what I was told by someone 'connected'. That photo does not make a lot of sense as he is clearly in a licenced venue and they do not allow people to buy bottles of spirits.

Club is more concerned about other 'issues' than drinking based on what I was told by someone 'connected'. That photo does not make a lot of sense as he is clearly in a licenced venue and they do not allow people to buy bottles of spirits.

Of course it could just be the water bottles they place on tables....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we really need to wrap thoughts around Stevo was primarily let go as part
of the salary cap dump. It wasn’t part of improving our list, we got heavily into the draft because we had no choice.

If we didn’t have this problem I have no doubt Stevo would be still a Pie. The club will almost certainly have their fingers crossed to hope he doesn’t make this look too bad in the years ahead.

Well that was a thought but the bottle has bar code and labelling so suggests not.

True, but a lot of cafe's use recycled bottles for water bottles.

I think we really need to wrap thoughts around Stevo was primarily let go as part
of the salary cap dump. It wasn’t part of improving our list, we got heavily into the draft because we had no choice.

If we didn’t have this problem I have no doubt Stevo would be still a Pie. The club will almost certainly have their fingers crossed to hope he doesn’t make this look too bad in the years ahead.
Sorry, but even with our salary issues I don’t buy that. Treloar and Phillips alone freed up nearly $1.2m from this years cap. As bad as our cap problem was, there’s no way we were running $1.8m over. If the club had wanted to keep Stephenson then they would have. There were/are clearly other issues at play, and judging by the above photo, he hasn’t pulled his head in in the slightest. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he’s still on the punt, despite it nearly ending his career befoee free it really began.

i partly disagree. His form an attitude were obviously an issue given he was supposedly spoken to about it. I also think to hear Walsh feel a need to come out and say that Stephensen basically wasn’t telling the truth re: concerns the club had etc, suggests the club wasn’t happy with him and possibly didn’t see him address his playing issues. Of course if he was on $200knthey may have given him another year. If it’s true they bumped up his contract to $500k pa, well it was the easier decision the club made

Sorry, but even with our salary issues I don’t buy that. Treloar and Phillips alone freed up nearly $1.2m from this years cap. As bad as our cap problem was, there’s no way we were running $1.8m over. If the club had wanted to keep Stephenson then they would have. There were/are clearly other issues at play, and judging by the above photo, he hasn’t pulled his head in in the slightest. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he’s still on the punt, despite it nearly ending his career befoee free it really began.
If that was true, and I have heard indirectly via someone in the AFL our problems were huge cap wise, then its even worse.

If we decided to exit Stevo anyway yet didnt tell him in his exit interviews to seek another club, if we didn't alert the marketplace to give them time to react and be in a position to make offers its unforgivable incompetence. At a minimum if we didn't have to conduct a firesale on him wait for 2021 and give him time so as to get the best price.

If we pushed him out the door at the last moment when almost all AFL lists were already filled and without any opportunity to achieve reasonable recompense that is the worst list decision I can think we have ever made.

If we were always letting him go why wait until there was no chance to negotiate anything?

i partly disagree. His form an attitude were obviously an issue given he was supposedly spoken to about it. I also think to hear Walsh feel a need to come out and say that Stephensen basically wasn’t telling the truth re: concerns the club had etc, suggests the club wasn’t happy with him and possibly didn’t see him address his playing issues. Of course if he was on $200knthey may have given him another year. If it’s true they bumped up his contract to $500k pa, well it was the easier decision the club made
Why wait til there was no chance of even getting a reasonable deal done if what you say is true? Why didn't we tell him seasons end to look to other options?

Makes no sense at all.

The club should have just clarified they got caught out with the covid changes and the cap changes and had no choice but to move on some quality at seasons end. Short term pain but no real gain and Stevo, Treloar and Phillips were the 3 chosen.

If that was true, and I have heard indirectly via someone in the AFL our problems were huge cap wise, then its even worse.

If we decided to exit Stevo anyway yet didnt tell him in his exit interviews to seek another club, if we didn't alert the marketplace to give them time to react and be in a position to make offers its unforgivable incompetence. At a minimum if we didn't have to conduct a firesale on him wait for 2021 and give him time so as to get the best price.

If we pushed him out the door at the last moment when almost all AFL lists were already filled and without any opportunity to achieve reasonable recompense that is the worst list decision I can think we have ever made.

If we were always letting him go why wait until there was no chance to negotiate anything?

The scuttlebutt about Stevo being on the table started early I thought. It was probably post season so clubs may have already committed to others, but I think if there weren't other "issues" then they could still have found room if they'd wanted.

You could ask exactly the same question of your salary cap scenario. It’s not like the club suddenly woke up on the last day of trades and realised they needed to offload another $600k.

Why wait til there was no chance of even getting a reasonable deal done if what you say is true? Why didn't we tell him seasons end to look to other options?

Makes no sense at all.

The club should have just clarified they got caught out with the covid changes and the cap changes and had no choice but to move on some quality at seasons end. Short term pain but no real gain and Stevo, Treloar and Phillips were the 3 chosen.
My understanding is that he was told prior to draft he should be looking around. That’s why Walsh stepped in and confirmed it in a radio interview.
It wouldn’t have surprised me if Stephensen didn’t take it seriously to begin with and maybe half way through the draft realised he was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back