Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The scuttlebutt about Stevo being on the table started early I thought. It was probably post season so clubs may have already committed to others, but I think if there weren't other "issues" then they could still have found room if they'd wanted.
Maybe there was, but I don't think we could have found room is what I heard. I guess none of us know for sure.

Even if there was scuttlebutt, even if most list decisions had been made it still doesn't excuse the Collingwood match committee of being derelict in duty in not acting earlier. If we were getting rid of him come seasons end he should have been placed onto the market at least to give us a chance of getting a price. If true its beyond bizarre we didn't

You could ask exactly the same question of your salary cap scenario. It’s not like the club suddenly woke up on the last day of trades and realised they needed to offload another $600k.
Maybe but it does make more sense. Via the AFL I have heard our cap problems wouldn't have occurred without covid. Combination of a moratorium on contract negotiations, player pay cut and cap decrease really hurt us more than others. Bad timing to a degree. It makes more sense that we were still unsure of our position until the AFL released the current conditions. That means our true position wasn't known until late. Gives some explanation for these last moment trade deals.

To say we always knew we wanted Stevo gone but just didnt bother to act until it was too late makes no sense at all.

Maybe but it does make more sense. Via the AFL I have heard our cap problems wouldn't have occurred without covid. Combination of a moratorium on contract negotiations, player pay cut and cap decrease really hurt us more than others. Bad timing to a degree. It makes more sense that we were still unsure of our position until the AFL released the current conditions. That means our true position wasn't known until late. Gives some explanation for these last moment trade deals.

To say we always knew we wanted Stevo gone but just didnt bother to act until it was too late makes no sense at all.
If our cap problems wouldn’t have occurred without COVID then it’s even less likely that Stephenson was a cap dump given our savings on AT and Phillips imo.

Why wait til there was no chance of even getting a reasonable deal done if what you say is true? Why didn't we tell him seasons end to look to other options?

Makes no sense at all.

The club should have just clarified they got caught out with the covid changes and the cap changes and had no choice but to move on some quality at seasons end. Short term pain but no real gain and Stevo, Treloar and Phillips were the 3 chosen.
I suspect they thought the AFL would waive the Beams payout from the cap. That decision happened pretty late in proceedings.

Looking like we made the right decision every day. Some things change. While some things stay the same

2654dcae1d738b0d4b91d6ed468e9c17.jpg

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Where is this From and why was it Posted?

Still surprised that the quietly spoken, well mannered kid that was interviewed with his parents after winning the rising star could turn into the biggest problem at the club apparently in the space of 24 months

Sounds like he has Dickhead Friends

Sorry, but even with our salary issues I don’t buy that. Treloar and Phillips alone freed up nearly $1.2m from this years cap. As bad as our cap problem was, there’s no way we were running $1.8m over. If the club had wanted to keep Stephenson then they would have. There were/are clearly other issues at play, and judging by the above photo, he hasn’t pulled his head in in the slightest. It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he’s still on the punt, despite it nearly ending his career befoee free it really began.

Maybe the Rumor about Players Asking Treloar to be Traded was Half Right and they wanted Stephenson Traded

If our cap problems wouldn’t have occurred without COVID then it’s even less likely that Stephenson was a cap dump given our savings on AT and Phillips imo.
I think it makes sense that if we had a bulging cap and were in potential trouble the Covid changes just put us in a worse position and gives some reason as to why these calls were made so late.

On your reckoning that this was more of a calculated recruiting/list management decision that was presumably on the table weeks to months before. Why did we wait til November to let the player and other clubs know. Stevo should have been explicitly aware as should his management

Do you have any explanation that ineptness? I can’t think of any.

If this was a list management decision and not a salary cap dump it’s a big gamble. Post the De Goey/Moore/Maynard year where Moore is just about A grade and Maynard and De Goey are tracking to be only, IQ and Stevo had an A grade projection. We don’t have any top 10 picks or anyone yet who has suggested they may be an A grader down the track.

Treloar is A grade and Stevo has the ability to be so. Now we are reliant on some of our youngsters to outperform what they have shown so far or what their draft position suggests if we are to make up the talent we have lost.

Only thing that makes sense is this was all cap related. I can at least live with that

If this was a list management decision and not a salary cap dump it’s a big gamble. Post the De Goey/Moore/Maynard year where Moore is just about A grade and Maynard and De Goey are tracking to be only, IQ and Stevo had an A grade projection. We don’t have any top 10 picks or anyone yet who has suggested they may be an A grader down the track.

Treloar is A grade and Stevo has the ability to be so. Now we are reliant on some of our youngsters to outperform what they have shown so far or what their draft position suggests if we are to make up the talent we have lost.

Only thing that makes sense is this was all cap related. I can at least live with that

Stephenson was our only Top 10 Pick since De Goey and Moore.

Shows what a Mess the Club is in

Last edited:
Still surprised that the quietly spoken, well mannered kid that was interviewed with his parents after winning the rising star could turn into the biggest problem at the club apparently in the space of 24 months

That ridiculous contract he got from the club didn’t help.

Horribly managed and added to his ego.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it makes sense that if we had a bulging cap and were in potential trouble the Covid changes just put us in a worse position and gives some reason as to why these calls were made so late.

On your reckoning that this was more of a calculated recruiting/list management decision that was presumably on the table weeks to months before. Why did we wait til November to let the player and other clubs know. Stevo should have been explicitly aware as should his management

The club claimed that Stephensons management was informed of what was happening at the end of the season. Whether on not the communication was clear enough is anyone’s guess, but I’m hesitant to claim ineptness. For all we know he was on his last chance at the end of the year and something else happened after the hub disbanded that was the straw that broke the camels back. Regardless, as I already said, the club wouldn’t have just realised they needed to shed an extra $600k a day before the end of trade period. That’s just too far fetched.

Maybe our final game of the season was the tipping point between the "keeping the list together" philosophy that seemed to have evolved after the 2018 season and the "we need a refresh" approach that came this off season. The club did say they'd be aggressive during the trade period post that game.

Maybe our final game of the season was the tipping point between the "keeping the list together" philosophy that seemed to have evolved after the 2018 season and the "we need a refresh" approach that came this off season. The club did say they'd be aggressive during the trade period post that game.
If so why wasn't he on the market earlier to give us a chance to negotiate something. You dont throw the most talented youngster on your list who has been given a big contract out at the last minute. Had to be better planning

I am not sure why it's not seen as plausible that this was cap related, Stevo had a big contract and a bad 2020 so that put him in the gun. Just like Ads and Phillips had contracts larger than they may have been worth made them the ones to move on.

Clubs generally give kids with talents chances. I can't believe Stevo wouldn't still be at the club if we didnt have cap issues

If so why wasn't he on the market earlier to give us a chance to negotiate something. You dont throw the most talented youngster on your list who has been given a big contract out at the last minute. Had to be better planning

Do we actually know when Ned started shopping him around?

I am not sure why it's not seen as plausible that this was cap related, Stevo had a big contract and a bad 2020 so that put him in the gun. Just like Ads and Phillips had contracts larger than they may have been worth made them the ones to move on.

I don't doubt there was a cap element to it. I just don't think it was an overly significant element and if they'd wanted to keep him they could have made alternative decisions (ie: delisted Lynch) or shuffled some deck chairs. I think it was more about setting the club for 2021 and beyond.

Clubs generally give kids with talents chances. I can't believe Stevo wouldn't still be at the club if we didnt have cap issues

How many chances has he been given? We just don't know beyond his gambling indiscretion. Could have been heaps. Has he learned from them? Have his behaviours changed? Some of the rumour circulating suggests not, but again, we just don't know.

Perhaps true, but this doesn't explain why Stephenson was singled out to be moved on. I don't understand why due diligence didn't reveal the man's faults before he was drafted - surely his character and on field timidity didn't just suddenly reveal themselves as late as last year. The people who recruited him have a lot to answer for if the rumours about his private life are true and he really is as gutless on a football field as he appeared to be in games last year. What a shame we no longer hear from the friend of the family who used to post on here. His view would be interesting. Perhaps he is now posting on the kangaroos' board.

I didn't read or hear anything relating to on-field timidity prior or after his drafting. As a matter of fact, wasn't he being regarded as a potential pick 4 prospect? Wasn't his heart condition the reason for his slide?
Pre Draft summary from Draft Central:

Heading into the 2017 season there were three big question marks over Stephenson as a draft prospect: Did he have the ability to transition into a midfielder? Could he become a consistent performer? and could he improve his kicking? By the end of 2017, the first question was an absolute yes, the second was ticking boxes after a massive second half, but the third remained an issue. When kicking for goal he manages to kick some pearlers from all angles and distances, but his field kicking still results in some clangers. He averaged 16 kicks per game in the TAC Cup, but 6.7 of those were ineffective, with a kicking efficiency of just 48 per cent throughout the season. It is an area that will be the first to be addressed by an AFL club with his athletic profile already at a top level.

Secondly his consistency has no doubt improved. In the first half of the season he was still showing signs of inconsistency as he learnt how to play midfield full-time, but by the second half of the season, particularly post-National Under 18 Championships, Stephenson was firing on all cylinders. He will continue to build his consistency within games, because every now and again he is unsighted for a quarter or two, but as a whole his consistency has improved ten-fold.

Stephenson, in a Foxsport pre-draft interview said some people saw him as just a front runner, but he disagreed with this assessment. That's not the same as suggestion he was timid or gutless. The Fox story also stated that some clubs were wary, but didn't elaborate.

Josh Daicos looks the pick of the crop to me.

There was no scenario where we put Stephenson up for trade that wasn't going to screw us. Trading him meant we were either salary dumping or he had off-field and/or discipline issues. You're not trading him based on talent. His first season and the goals he kicked in the grand final were brilliant.

Only thing that makes Sense he did something Off-Field that made the Whole Club Turn on him and wanted him out so badly

Josh Daicos looks the pick of the crop to me.
Really came on this year and established himself. Not sure he will be top shelf but very good. IQ is the one I am most excited about. My guess will be Stephenson will have a better career than any of the youngsters at Collingwood.

If that was true, and I have heard indirectly via someone in the AFL our problems were huge cap wise, then its even worse.

If we decided to exit Stevo anyway yet didnt tell him in his exit interviews to seek another club, if we didn't alert the marketplace to give them time to react and be in a position to make offers its unforgivable incompetence. At a minimum if we didn't have to conduct a firesale on him wait for 2021 and give him time so as to get the best price.

If we pushed him out the door at the last moment when almost all AFL lists were already filled and without any opportunity to achieve reasonable recompense that is the worst list decision I can think we have ever made.

If we were always letting him go why wait until there was no chance to negotiate anything?
correct... salary cap was in a dire position. Rendell knew what the spreadsheets said, hence why he strongly predicted that ALL of Treloar, Stevo, Phillips AND Cox deals would get done prior to end of trade week. 3 out of 4 aint bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back