Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gone Critical

Mar 11, 2007
Abbotsford
AFL Club
Collingwood
Open your mind - what would make the club trade someone with his talent.

In fact all the guys we got rid of, remember we chose them specifically and for a reason.

I’m not going to sh*t on them or speculate what that exactly is, but there is a reason. And it’s not just cap.
I think there is lots of speculation about. As Bucks said they forced Stevo, Treloar and Phillips out. Hearing the Phillips family account of how it played out it was brutal just as Bucks said.

No doubt all 3 had some weaknesses but their big problem was they were all on big contracts and were bigger than their output. Some players had to be sacrificed for the cap.

We can speculate all we like and Stevo clearly had issues that need addressing. For me the pertinent question is if we didn’t have a cap problem do you believe any of these 3 would have been traded?

My answer Is a clear cut no

The manner it was done, very late and after almost all other clubs had already done their caps etc shows it was an emergency response to a cap crisis.

Gone Critical

Mar 11, 2007
Abbotsford
AFL Club
Collingwood
Josh Thomas kicked 38 goals
WHE kicked 42 goals
JDG kicked 48 goals
Mihocek kicked 29 goal (16 games)

Either the movement of the ball into the forward line in 2018 made these guys all have a standout goal kicking year, or our forward line setup was excellent. Can’t think of many teams in history where you had practically every forward kick 40 goals +. Was it a ‘one-off’? Was it worked out from opposition clubs? Why can’t those same guys kick even half that amount of goals?
If you want to use the goal output argument and say 2018 was an anomaly making it easier for our forwards the only one to buck the trend in 2019 was Stevo

WHE 1.6 goals per game 2018, 1.0 2019
Thomas 1.4 2018, 1.0 2019
Mihocek 1.8 2018, 1.5 2019

Stevo 1.4 2018 , 1.7 2019

Stevo had big issues in 2020 and maybe they will bring him down. Talent alone doesn’t get you there.

Still arguing he isn’t a big talent and is only a one trick pony, as many here have, is just wishful thinking. As a rookie he kicked goals in all sorts of ways, multiple different skills to do so. His highlight reel in one season would beat most players on an AFL list career highlights.

Last edited:

BIGNEDKELLY

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can he? I can't remember too many contest wins for either of them. I reckon it's a big weakness for both of them. They average a similar percentage of contested ball wins. And more of Jaidyns uncontested possessions involve a contest - a foot race.
If you watch Stepho's 2020 highlights there is not one where he makes contact with an opposition player. He is a Daniel Andrews dream, does his absolute best to stay by himself in a 4 metre squared area.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you watch Stepho's 2020 highlights there is not one where he makes contact with an opposition player. He is a Daniel Andrews dream, does his absolute best to stay by himself in a 4 metre squared area.
The footy Stephenson played in 2020 was embarrassing, something went horribly wrong. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about talent.

BIGNEDKELLY

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The footy Stephenson played in 2020 was embarrassing, something went horribly wrong. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about talent.
AFL lists are full of unfulfilled and potential 'talent'. Every year heaps of talented players are discarded.

Stevo's actions (despite his talent) in 2019 were unacceptable and he was lucky to survive.

Stevo's response in 2020 was unacceptable. I have no problems with his form, it happens. It was his lack of intent, failure to tackle and generally sidestep every contest that came at him that was his downfall. HE looked scared of contact when Pendles gave him a pat on the back on the bench. He refused to do the non-negotiables. When it came to the salary cap crunch Stevo made it very easy for us to ship him out. All the best to the lad I had such high hopes for. I thought he was more important to our list than De Goey.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
AFL lists are full of unfulfilled and potential 'talent'. Every year heaps of talented players are discarded.

Stevo's actions (despite his talent) in 2019 were unacceptable and he was lucky to survive.

Stevo's response in 2020 was unacceptable. I have no problems with his form, it happens. It was his lack of intent, failure to tackle and generally sidestep every contest that came at him that was his downfall. HE looked scared of contact when Pendles gave him a pat on the back on the bench. He refused to do the non-negotiables. When it came to the salary cap crunch Stevo made it very easy for us to ship him out. All the best to the lad I had such high hopes for. I thought he was more important to our list than De Goey.
I agree with that and woulduch prefer to have Daicos on the list, even though I think Jaidyn is more talented.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Exactly. You don’t fluke winning the rising star award. We picked him from no where really and he came out and had one of the best years a first year player has played with us. One of the reason we made it to the GF. 5 goal bags. Barrels from 50-60m and the speed no one else had. Pure skill.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fair call re 2020. Funny Stevo never really got his hand dirty all year but Greenbucks pulls out of one contest and its front page news. Fwiw whilst not condoning the softish season he had a very much doubt cunnington and Anderson will cop this from him this year. Especially when noble will be running him through the middle with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billys Back

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Exactly. You don’t fluke winning the rising star award. We picked him from no where really and he came out and had one of the best years a first year player has played with us. One of the reason we made it to the GF. 5 goal bags. Barrels from 50-60m and the speed no one else had. Pure skill.
Unicorns

Ingy

Premiership Player
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, pure skill. No toughness, reliability, decency, grit or determination to ruin all that skill

Billys Back

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m more disappointed that we didn’t give Bosenavulagi one more season. Although he didn’t get much of the ball, he looked very clean. I thought 1 more year with a few more opportunities could have determined whether he had what it takes.

Remove this Banner Ad