Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Settle down sour grapes. Being at the game I’ll back in that I watched him closer then you. Albeit, you’re clearly dealing with a pretty big grudge so perhaps I’m wrong to assume and in fact you were obsessing over his every move.

He’s hardly a finished product, has things he definitely needs to address, whilst also possessing some elite qualities (some that neither club has on their list currently). My view is that Collingwood/Buckley went too early on JS & Collingwood will be worse off for it.
You can’t work on being soft, he is scared of his own shadow. Any player can get kicks, if their role is to be unaccountable and hang off the back of packs to get cheap possessions. Not sure you’ll win too many games with players like that on your team. There are also the behavioural issues that he has displayed.

Give him a year or so and then judge with your peanut brain. He played well for us in his first year because he played in a dominant team. You guys will never be dominant and as a result he’ll be infinitely worse.

Maybe we all just move on from him, instead of keeping a thread open specifically to pot a player who didn't want to leave, and who contributed very strongly for our team in their first season in the game.
I would flip that statement around, in 2018 the team contributed very strongly to Jaidyn. He had the pill delivered on a silver platter, he is entirely uncontested and unaccountable as a player and that will never change.

Credit to him for taking the opportunities in 2018, that takes skill. But at his price and with behavioural issues I agree with the trade.

I just wonder if Stevo was still on our list, whether or not he would be getting a game. I tend to think it would be like 2020, where he was in and out of the side.
Really needs to work on his one on one contested situations, and his workrate during games. Watching him yesterday he continued to wait outside of many contested ball situations looking for the easy ball.
I think he can still make it as a good player, but nothing over the top, despite him showing in 2018 that he had that xfactor, but that now seems to have all but disappeared on him.

I just wonder if Stevo was still on our list, whether or not he would be getting a game. I tend to think it would be like 2020, where he was in and out of the side.
Really needs to work on his one on one contested situations, and his workrate during games. Watching him yesterday he continued to wait outside of many contested ball situations looking for the easy ball.
I think he can still make it as a good player, but nothing over the top, despite him showing in 2018 that he had that xfactor, but that now seems to have all but disappeared on him.
Opposition coaches worked him out - one trick pony - and without that trick is more like a donkey.

hindsight has been mentioned but gee Naughton would fill a massive gap in our list.
Stephenson can only be called yet another selection error on current form, though not as big an error as taking Nathan Murphy with a first round pick would have been. In retrospect, overlooking Naughton now seems an almost indictable crime punishable by death or even worse.

100% he’d still be getting a game for us. He has the odd quiet game but is averaging 18 disposals and 1.2 goals a game... not many players in our line up doing that

100% he’d still be getting a game for us. He has the odd quiet game but is averaging 18 disposals and 1.2 goals a game... not many players in our line up doing that
As a role player probably...dump him in with mcreery and Elliott and its a potent forward line..

Even in his draft year I remember hoping we took naughton....from memory there were big question marks on his kicking.....question is though would of we lost him also !!?? 🤔

Correct. This thread always seems to pop up when he has a poor game (albeit he hasn’t had many since coming across to North).

I’m really happy with his year to date (bar injury). Yesterday wasn’t a great performance, but he also was played deeper then he has in previous games for us, which I don’t think suits him until our ball use improves.

Honestly after 2018 I thought Jaidyn could be anything. Even just before his gambling suspension in 2019 I remember the QB game and he was finding space for leads so easily, he had 9 marks and 10 shots at goal that game (but only ended up with 3.3).

At the time I would have argued strongly with anyone who said that was as good as he was going to be. But now I'm not too sure. He hasn't added a single new string to his game since then. He's actively regressed from the full forward that opposition defences couldn't get near.

I won't make a definitive judgement until he gets to play for a more decent North team in a couple of seasons, but even in his good games for North only in Round 1 has he come close to being as good as his 25 possession game playing up the ground against Brisbane in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly after 2018 I thought Jaidyn could be anything. Even just before his gambling suspension in 2019 I remember the QB game and he was finding space for leads so easily, he had 9 marks and 10 shots at goal that game (but only ended up with 3.3).

At the time I would have argued strongly with anyone who said that was as good as he was going to be. But now I'm not too sure. He hasn't added a single new string to his game since then. He's actively regressed from the full forward that opposition defences couldn't get near.

I won't make a definitive judgement until he gets to play for a more decent North team in a couple of seasons, but even in his good games for North only in Round 1 has he come close to being as good as his 25 possession game playing up the ground against Brisbane in 2018.

This is just incorrect. Having watched him throughout preseason and this year, he has definitely added more to his game, playing up the ground as a wingman & attacking flanker, even having centre ball attendances. He doesn’t have the tank yet to do this consistently.

Noble is huge on adding strings to players and we’ve already seen JS play more versatile then he did at the Pies.

Players have ups and downs. I think you're right to wait a bit. I suspect he'll be a very good player in the end. I mean, Swan didn't hit his straps till quite late.

This is just incorrect. Having watched him throughout preseason and this year, he has definitely added more to his game, playing up the ground as a wingman & attacking flanker, even having centre ball attendances. He doesn’t have the tank yet to do this consistently.

Noble is huge on adding strings to players and we’ve already seen JS play more versatile then he did at the Pies.
Just because he's getting opportunities there doesn't mean he's added them as elements of his game yet. From the games I saw there wasn't anything that suggested it was going to become a natural position for him.

i watched him for a bit yesterday....although he didnt make it on the tv for most of the time i was watching....except for that notable lack of interest in the final term.

It makes me question this "good family, good school, born in december" theory of recruiting that seems to have such an impact on the kids Derek recruits. Of course, he might turn out to be a star and derek will have the last laugh. The good thing for stephenson is that north can play him for this year and the next and not be so concerned about his output.

Just because he's getting opportunities there doesn't mean he's added them as elements of his game yet. From the games I saw there wasn't anything that suggested it was going to become a natural position for him.

What games are you referring to out of curiosity?

It just seems quite coincidental that these comments come out after his poorest game to date.

Unsure of where this commentary was against Freo (18 Disposals 2 goals), Coll (19 Disposals 2.2 goals), Demons (18 Disposals 1.2 goals), Port (33 Disposals 0.2 goals), Dogs (19 Disposals 2 goals), Cats (16 Disposals 2 goals), Crows (17 Disposals 2 goals). He isn’t producing these numbers in the same role he was playing at Collingwood.

I get you want to make yourselves feel better, but whacking a young player that you booted out who is doing a lot right, is just weak.

What games are you referring to out of curiosity?

It just seems quite coincidental that these comments come out after his poorest game to date.

Unsure of where this commentary was against Freo (18 Disposals 2 goals), Coll (19 Disposals 2.2 goals), Demons (18 Disposals 1.2 goals), Port (33 Disposals 0.2 goals), Dogs (19 Disposals 2 goals), Cats (16 Disposals 2 goals), Crows (17 Disposals 2 goals). He isn’t producing these numbers in the same role he was playing at Collingwood.

I get you want to make yourselves feel better, but whacking a young player that you booted out who is doing a lot right, is just weak.
Jaidyn's games I watched most of this season are, Rd 1 Port, Rd 3 Bulldogs, Rd 4 Crows, Rd 7 Dees, Rd 8 Pies, Rd 14 Lions.

I don't think its us knocking a player we got rid of, there aren't posts criticising Aish, Treloar and Phillips like there are in this thread. I think its more dismay comparing him to what our projections were for him after 2018. Maybe they were unreasonably high but I think most of us thought he was going to have progressed far beyond the level he played in 2020 and now. But also acknowledging it is difficult to perform to your potential in a developing team like North.

Jaidyn's games I watched most of this season are, Rd 1 Port, Rd 3 Bulldogs, Rd 4 Crows, Rd 7 Dees, Rd 8 Pies, Rd 14 Lions.

I don't think its us knocking a player we got rid of, there aren't posts criticising Aish, Treloar and Phillips like there are in this thread. I think its more dismay comparing him to what our projections were for him after 2018. Maybe they were unreasonably high but I think most of us thought he was going to have progressed far beyond the level he played in 2020 and now. But also acknowledging it is difficult to perform to your potential in a developing team like North.

Your last point is a good one & something I actually view as a positive. He’s producing that output in the worst side in the competition.

It’s an expectation thing, when Collingwood recruited him he was your prized pick 6, so with that comes expectation. For North, he was brought in as someone that had talent and definite gaps in his game that he needed to address, as well as someone that we got relatively cheap.

With that, my expectations of him have been exceeded to date. I expected those numbers when we are winning, not when we are getting done by 120 by the dogs. At 22 years of age, it makes me quite positive about what he can produce at 25 as we become a better side.

Your last point is a good one & something I actually view as a positive. He’s producing that output in the worst side in the competition.

It’s an expectation thing, when Collingwood recruited him he was your prized pick 6, so with that comes expectation. For North, he was brought in as someone that had talent and definite gaps in his game that he needed to address, as well as someone that we got relatively cheap.

With that, my expectations of him have been exceeded to date. I expected those numbers when we are winning, not when we are getting done by 120 by the dogs. At 22 years of age, it makes me quite positive about what he can produce at 25 as we become a better side.

At 25 he might be at the local TAB working behind the window

I wanted Naughton at the time but when I saw how good Jaidyn looked in 2018 I thought that Hine might have got this right but he simply has not progressed in to what he we expected and there are serious off-field issues.
What are these off field issues ?

Genuine question

Is there facts ?

Do you know him etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back