Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he would be in and out of the side as he was last year. Does none of the team defensive stuff at all. He hasn’t improved this part of his game at all.

Where have you been? You know we have all been complaining about WHE, JT and Cox’s output given his contract.

JDG is a better footballer than Stephenson, and yet he has been spoken about as a trade suggestion.

No discrimination here. We call it as we see it. Fact is we wouldn’t get much for those guys apart from JDG.

Stephenson has a limited role and was overpaid. His 2020 performance was terrible. 1.2 goals a game for a forward is not worth $500k when he can’t offer anything else.
Bar the game against the cats, WHE has stood up recently. Just had near his best game for the year, he wont be going anywhere if he keeps his current form.

True, but if we didn’t bring Cox back late last year to hit his triggers, we wouldn’t have to pay him $600k to play VFL this year.
No argument we could add Grundy also but neither have been traded yet.
Stevo and Adam had the most currency on the list that was somewhat easy to replace.
Not that I like the way we went about it but that's water under the bridge.

Stephenson wasn’t the only player of trade value and cap relief at the end of 2020. Names like Cox, WHE and Sier spring to mind.
How do you sell Cox, WHE and Sier to other clubs?

I think he’s the reason we made the GF in 2018
He’s also not the reason we lost - simply one of our worst loses ever
There should be another flag in the cabinet due to that selection and I don’t call that a mistake punishable by death
His style of play (uncontested) was the beneficiary of outstanding team football. You could have put anybody at full forward with half a brain and good set shot and got the same result…or better. credit where credit is due though, he played his role to a tee…to credit him for 2018 is excessive.

His style of play (uncontested) was the beneficiary of outstanding team football. You could have put anybody at full forward with half a brain and good set shot and got the same result…or better. credit where credit is due though, he played his role to a tee…to credit him for 2018 is excessive.
yep with JDG (48 goals), WHE (42 goals), JT (38 goals), Stephenson (38 goals), and a rookie (Mihoek) kicking 29 goals from 16 games (highest average of all of them) in his first season and you can see that 2018 was an exceptional year due to ball movement further up the ground. So yeah, Stephenson made a contribution but he wasn't the reason we played in a GF. It's no surprise none of those players have kicked that many in a season since.

Pretty easy. Let them know they are no longer wanted. Cox would generate a 3rd rd pick, the other two probably junk picks if their were any takers.

Club did it (so spectacularly wrong) when moving on 4 contracted players last year
WHE has been in good form on the wing so I would be keeping him in the absence of a decent bid for his services. I am hoping the remainder of the season is going to provide evidence why Sier is a 'must retain' player, beginning this week.

I would have thought Cox should have some interest. Clubs tend to be on the lookout for a ruckman, and Cox has the ability to play forward. I would think GC, GWS, NM, Hawthorn, Sydney and maybe Richmond (to avoid another nightmare), could do with him. He will probably come reasonably priced $$ wise. If the draft is shallow, all the better. I think he would be ideal for GC, GWS or NM.

Pretty easy. Let them know they are no longer wanted. Cox would generate a 3rd rd pick, the other two probably junk picks if their were any takers.

Club did it (so spectacularly wrong) when moving on 4 contracted players last year
I’d imagine to get rid of those three we’d have to pay half their salary so we wouldn’t be saving as much money and still would have to get rid of more players. And that’s if another club is interested. The only one that would have interest would be WHE imo. If I’m a list manager at any other club Cox and JT aren’t worth a list spot.

I don’t think Atu was contracted, but your solution is to getting rid of three contacted players is getting rid of a different three?

I’d imagine to get rid of those three we’d have to pay half their salary so we wouldn’t be saving as much money and still would have to get rid of more players. And that’s if another club is interested. The only one that would have interest would be WHE imo. If I’m a list manager at any other club Cox and JT aren’t worth a list spot.

I don’t think Atu was contracted, but your solution is to getting rid of three contacted players is getting rid of a different three?
Cox and Sier will be uncontracted end of season. With Cox on $550k, will be a huge saving.

Cox contract was extended last year. If they hadn’t have will fully extended it then he’d been uncontracted at the end of 2020.

Cox would certainly get interest from other clubs... has evidenced by the yearly ruck merry go round

Freeing up Cox 500k from the salary cap at the end of 2020 over Stephensons would’ve been the better choice.

One will play for another season or two. The other will play a further 100 games

Fair enough but I disagree
I don’t think we could have put anyone there and achieved the same result
I also don’t think there’s anyone else we could have drafted in 2017 that would have allowed us to have a achieved what we did in 2018. He skill set transformed and blended perfectly with out style that year

Maybe he got worked out in subsequent years, maybe he dropped off etc etc
He still was an essential component of what happened that year and wouldn’t have, IMO, without him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough but I disagree
I don’t think we could have put anyone there and achieved the same result
I also don’t think there’s anyone else we could have drafted in 2017 that would have allowed us to have a achieved what we did in 2018. He skill set transformed and blended perfectly with out style that year

Maybe he got worked out in subsequent years, maybe he dropped off etc etc
He still was an essential component of what happened that year and wouldn’t have, IMO, without him
Undoubtedly he deserved his spot in 22, based on his output. A previous poster provided stats on the goal kicking spread for a number of forwards, none have achieved those heights since. That suggests improvements and the real impact came from structure, strategy and further up the ground.

Also we had a lot players injured throughout the year, some much more credentialed than Stevo…we managed without them so I suspect we would have without Stephenson also.

We didn't sell anyone did we? Basically gave them away for a packet of chips

Undoubtedly he deserved his spot in 22, based on his output. A previous poster provided stats on the goal kicking spread for a number of forwards, none have achieved those heights since. That suggests improvements and the real impact came from structure, strategy and further up the ground.

Also we had a lot players injured throughout the year, some much more credentialed than Stevo…we managed without them so I suspect we would have without Stephenson also.
I can see your point on this but we’ll just have to agree to disagree

I understand all the other variables of our season and regardless of those who were / weren’t available, I will always contend we would never have made the GF if we had not drafted Stevo

Cox I think has serious value for a team that plays quick flowing football. He was great for us in 2018. WHE similarly, is a down hill skier and again would perform quite well in a team that is dominant. This is what he did for us in 2018

Sier is an enigma. Could really be anything if he got his work ethic right. I think clubs that back in their coaching structures will have a crack. He’s still young…and would perhaps benefit from a fresh start and not being at such a high profile club.

I can see your point on this but we’ll just have to agree to disagree

I understand all the other variables of our season and regardless of those who were / weren’t available, I will always contend we would never have made the GF if we had not drafted Stevo
Maybe one point we can agree on though is that it’s irrelevant as we were robbed on the day.

It's time to wind back the salaries of all the uncontracted players. A couple of them are worth more than the collective agreement rates. There's half a dozen kids who i would be paying basic money plus per game. Pendles should be on a year by year, depending on the amount of cash he wants. We're in the lowest 3 or 4 on the table, we should be paying likewise. Stuffed if i know how you can legitimately pay a premiership team as much as a wooden spooner.

Cox I think has serious value for a team that plays quick flowing football. He was great for us in 2018. WHE similarly, is a down hill skier and again would perform quite well in a team that is dominant. This is what he did for us in 2018

Sier is an enigma. Could really be anything if he got his work ethic right. I think clubs that back in their coaching structures will have a crack. He’s still young…and would perhaps benefit from a fresh start and not being at such a high profile club.
Actually, apart form the prelim, Cox was our most ineffective forwards based on goals (24 games and 25 goals). Having said that, he was very close to registering 10 disposals a game in 2018 (9.88 disposals a game). His best based upon a minimum 5 game season.

Cox contract was extended last year. If they hadn’t have will fully extended it then he’d been uncontracted at the end of 2020.

Cox would certainly get interest from other clubs... has evidenced by the yearly ruck merry go round

Freeing up Cox 500k from the salary cap at the end of 2020 over Stephensons would’ve been the better choice.

One will play for another season or two. The other will play a further 100 games

I think Cox offered to extend and reduce the amount paid annually (ie: $500k across this year becomes $800k across 2021-22 for example) but it wasn't taken up by the club. Happy to be corrected.

Actually, apart form the prelim, Cox was our most ineffective forwards based on goals (24 games and 25 goals). Having said that, he was very close to registering 10 disposals a game in 2018 (9.88 disposals a game). His best based upon a minimum 5 game season.
He was pushing high, dragging defenders and allowing the plethora of out the back goals that our quick forwards kicked. Unfortunately our style got found out, teams set their defence deeper - combined with us moving the ball more safely - no longer allowing over the top goals or space inside 50 and our forward line became useless.

That’s exactly the point the prelim game was as good as any by a player of any kind or background. He loves a big game. I think the 3 contest mark per game is also a telling stat.

We had a multi focal forward line, and his role was to bring it to ground he was rarely out marked in 2018. His ruck craft is also pretty handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back