Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mayne being 1 of our Best was another Reason why we did not win the Flag

Quite the opposite. You want your bottom 6 to perform. Just need the top 6 to all contribute as well.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
In Feb of 2018 did you think we were a chance to win the 2018 flag??

Sure Flip and Stepho had good 2018s, but they haven't improved since then yet we're being paid like they were top line players. These are the blokes who almost carried us to a flag in 2018

2018 E.W.Copeland Trophy top ten

1. Steele Sidebottom 203 votes (E.W. Copeland trophy)
1. Brodie Grundy 203 votes (E.W. Copeland Trophy)
3. Scott Pendlebury 178 votes (J.J. Joyce Trophy)
4. Jack Crisp 160 votes (J.F. McHale Trophy)
5. Taylor Adams 159 votes (Jack Regan Trophy)
6. Tom Phillips 134 votes
7. Jeremy Howe 132 votes
8. Jordan De Goey 127 votes
9. Josh Thomas 122 votes
10. Brayden Maynard 107 votes

Flip is the only one not with us in 2021, those players plus Moore, Daicos and Elliott give us enough talent to contend, if a couple of kids can impress and we get an OK run on injury front then who knows.

The hope was that Stepho would progress like Daics did and make the leap to a top5 finish in BnF....he went backwards
Daicos had his first decent year in 2020. How long did that take?
Stephenson showed it right away and they had an interrupted year last year he’s gone for it. Surely not.

In Feb of 2018 did you think we were a chance to win the 2018 flag??

Sure Flip and Stepho had good 2018s, but they haven't improved since then yet we're being paid like they were top line players. These are the blokes who almost carried us to a flag in 2018

2018 E.W.Copeland Trophy top ten

1. Steele Sidebottom 203 votes (E.W. Copeland trophy)
1. Brodie Grundy 203 votes (E.W. Copeland Trophy)
3. Scott Pendlebury 178 votes (J.J. Joyce Trophy)
4. Jack Crisp 160 votes (J.F. McHale Trophy)
5. Taylor Adams 159 votes (Jack Regan Trophy)
6. Tom Phillips 134 votes
7. Jeremy Howe 132 votes
8. Jordan De Goey 127 votes
9. Josh Thomas 122 votes
10. Brayden Maynard 107 votes

Flip is the only one not with us in 2021, those players plus Moore, Daicos and Elliott give us enough talent to contend, if a couple of kids can impress and we get an OK run on injury front then who knows.

The hope was that Stepho would progress like Daics did and make the leap to a top5 finish in BnF....he went backwards

But we Actually Brought in some Good Assistant Coaches and they are all gone now and not Replaced

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Daicos had his first decent year in 2020. How long did that take?
Stephenson showed it right away and they had an interrupted year last year he’s gone for it. Surely not.
You are correct that he had a great 2018 for a debutant.

Stepho also had a self inflicted interrupted 2019, and a woeful 2020. Did Stepho show an ability/desire to improve and work on his game?

Clearly the salary cap was a factor, if Stephenson was on a low cost salary you keep him.

I hope he has a good career at North, but 2020 Stepho doesn't help us contend in 2021.

To be fair, I think we were already on the slide. I doubt not trading anyone out would have halted the 2021 slide.
Agreed.Most of those around and above us in 2020 look to have improved their lists

No it isn’t. The bloke had 14 tackles on the day and was an absolute work horse. Bizarre comment.
I was going to say something but I'm pretty sure TD has his villains and his heroes and no redemption story is going to sway his allegiances.

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was going to say something but I'm pretty sure TD has his villains and his heroes and no redemption story is going to sway his allegiances.
How could anyone not respect Mayne?? What that guy went through in his first year and to never once complain but worked extra hard in the off season and came back to be one of our most respected players over the past few years.
I really hope the Pies find his a role with the club once he hangs up his boots. An inspirational player and from what I understand a very good student of the game.

How could anyone not respect Mayne?? What that guy went through in his first year and to never once complain but worked extra hard in the off season and came back to be one of our most respected players over the past few years.
I really hope the Pies find his a role with the club once he hangs up his boots. An inspirational player and from what I understand a very good student of the game.
Yeah if I was Chris Mayne with 170 AFL games to my name and had been recruited on a 4 year contract, had a bad year, punctuated by the coach talking to the media and trying to blame miscommunication for the fact that they recruited me, I would have spent the next three years getting fat and trying to take speckies in the forward pocket in the reserves. For him to reinvent himself in a totally different role thotally changing his body shape and endurance was bloody awesome. He's a legend.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I still can't believe that we traded the most talented player on our list aged 23 and under for peanuts. fecks sake.

Posting about it on Bigfooty isnt going to change history. Hes gone, time will tell if its a disaster (after his outstanding debut year) or a stroke of genius (after his indifferent to s**t next two years).

We now have 10-11 new recruits who hopefully arent head cases. We have bitten the bullet and cleared our salary cap problems off the books. Time to move forward.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
No it isn’t. The bloke had 14 tackles on the day and was an absolute work horse. Bizarre comment.

I think Dave was more reflecting that higher rated players weren't in the bests than questioning Mayne's contribution.

We traded Daicos?
No matter how you feel about Stevo I think he has a higher ceiling than Daics. Not saying he will reach it for sure but the potential is there.

No matter how you feel about Stevo I think he has a higher ceiling than Daics. Not saying he will reach it for sure but the potential is there.
So wrong, it’s hard to fathom how you come to that conclusion.

So wrong, it’s hard to fathom how you come to that conclusion.
Whether it’s wrong or right time will tell I guess. Your opinion may be different but that doesn’t make you right.

In terms of how I came to that. Stevo was a highly rated junior who performed very well in big games. He came to Collingwood and had a stand out first year. 2nd year was also very good until the betting scandal, he was kicking more goals than year 1.

His 3rd year was a write off for various reasons but not for a lack of talent

Daics was a 50 something draft pick who had a slow start to his career. He had moments in the first 3 seasons and franked his hard work by establishing a best 22 spot in his 4th year. That season was excellent and he looks set for a good career. Looks a solid B grader going forward but wouldn’t be a surprise if he can become an A grader

Stevo, if he does the work, would be a shock if he isn’t a strong A grader.

That’s where I see them. More questions on Stevo but more upside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back