Traded Jaidyn Stephenson [traded with Bosenavulagi and #39 to North for #26, #33 and 2021 R4]

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to wonder if the Pies players still want to play for Buckley after how shabbily he treated Stephenson and Trelor ?
The fact Stevo was willing to play for a club with no coach is proof of how toxic it has become at Collingwood..

And attempts by Geoff Walsh and the Pies hierarchy to character smear Stevo and Treloar after they have been traded is nothing short of pathetic and desperate actions of straw men.

Stephenson wanted to go to North pre-draft in 2017.

He trained at the club through the academy and is mates with some of the players.

I think it's completely wrong to just assume he went to North because there were no other options.

There's realistically only a few Melbourne clubs that were in the position to get him and the relationship was already there and given he was only drafted 3 years ago, the relationship was still fresh enough that this was always going to go one way once Collingwood started shopping him.

We will play him in position and he won't have massive pressure on him for a year or so in a developing squad.

Yeah this. He had so much pressure and spotlight at Collingwood.

At North he can blend in with Thomas, LDU, Simpkin, Pick 2, Pick 11 who will all share expectation with that “high pick” label.

Collingwood literally don’t have a first rounder in the last 5 years bar Stephenson. That + a Rising Star Award + Biggest AFL Club = Enourmous Expectation.

I look at Scott, Larkey, Zurhaar and Taylor as great examples of young players at North who have been able to avoid the huge expectation that even LDU and TT carry/carried at a smaller club.

Externally there will be pressure.

He's a super talent and if he gets back to his best will be a top 3 player at Roos.

Really? North players tend to fly under the radar as is.

Yeah this. He had so much pressure and spotlight at Collingwood.

At North he can blend in with Thomas, LDU, Simpkin, Pick 2, Pick 11 who will all share expectation with that “high pick” label.

Collingwood literally don’t have a first rounder in the last 5 years bar Stephenson. That + a Rising Star Award + Biggest AFL Club = Enourmous Expectation.

I look at Scott, Larkey, Zurhaar and Taylor as great examples of young players at North who have been able to avoid the huge expectation that even LDU and TT carry/carried at a smaller club.

Had Buckley doing his psycho act trying to make him a run all day winger too, destroyed his confidence after glandular.

We'll say go play your natural game mate. Rebuild his confidence that way.

Had Buckley doing his psycho act trying to make him a run all day winger too, destroyed his confidence after glandular.

We'll say go play your natural game mate. Rebuild his confidence that way.
You do realise Stephenson played the national championships GF booting five goals from 28 disposals off a wing...

The gun forward said he was not bitter with his former club and bears no grudges after speaking to Buckley following the end of a turbocharged trade period on Thursday night.

“I spoke to Bucks last night after all was said and done, at about 9pm,” Stephenson told the Herald Sun.

“We just spoke and spoke very honestly with each other and we both have no hard feelings.

“I understand the position he’s in and I think at the end of the day it’s probably the right thing for me to get a fresh start and hopefully grow something good at North Melbourne.”

When asked if Buckley had properly explained the reasons for his departure, Stephenson replied: “I’m just going to keep that between us, but it was a good chat for me to have and I respect him for calling me and I’m glad we had it.”

The 21-year-old forward said he was excited to be joining the Kangaroos three years after first believing he’d land at Arden St.

“I actually went through my whole draft year in 2017 thinking North were going to take me, so it’s almost like being where I’m supposed to,” he said.

“They had pick 4 in the draft and I trained there as a 17-year-old for two weeks through the AIS.

“I thought I’d trained all right and I got along with all the boys, so I thought I was a good chance.

“In the end they got Luke Davies-Uniacke, who’s a great player, but it’s good to finally get there, I suppose.

“They’ve got a good bunch of 10 to 15 young guys who are all very good players in the making from Tarryn Thomas, Curtis Taylor, Jy Simpkin, Luke, the list goes on.

“And they’ve obviously still got those senior boys like Jack Ziebell, Todd Goldstein and Robbie Tarrant that can instil their wisdom in us and hopefully we can grow as a group of guys and have success sooner rather than later.”

Stephenson had a down year in 2020, but he has been seeing a personal trainer and said he was determined to get back to his deadly best.

“I missed all the pre-season with glandular fever, which wasn’t an ideal start, and then getting shipped off to a hub didn’t help my cause,” he said.

“I’m very motivated, and I think being told you’re not wanted at a club just gives you extra motivation and a little chip on your shoulder.”

Sounds like a bit of closure. Sometimes things end up the way they were meant to be.

Good luck to the kid. I wish him well.

You do realise Stephenson played the national championships GF booting five goals from 28 disposals off a wing...

He's played his best senior footy as a forward though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jaidyn Stephenson should count this as a blessing
Out of the pot and into the fire.

I feel for the bloke having to go to north which could be a horror show for the next 3 - 4 years.

He must be scratching his head asking if the last week wasn't a nightmare.

At least he's young enough to settle in with a group of players his own age and create something that they can own together.

It's going to be a long journey though.

I feel for the bloke having to go to north which could be a horror show for the next 3 - 4 years.

At least he's young enough to settle in with a group of players his own age and create something that they can own together.

Having to go to North?

Man was literally asked to explore his options and chose North if he were to hate it so much why would he choose North as his preferred destination a lot of clubs would've taken him for a second rounder so us being the only option isn't a valid response.

Having to go to North?

Man was literally asked to explore his options and chose North if he were to hate it so much why would he choose North as his preferred destination a lot of clubs would've taken him for a second rounder so us being the only option isn't a valid response.
Thanks for picking up my incorrect use of the English language.

Going to North then. I feel sorry for him going to North.

Is that better?

Doesn't change the point I was trying to make. He has gone, in his mind, from a sound employment environment where he was happy to a place that has just cut a heap of players and has no coach.

North at the moment are a rabble and have at least 3 to 4 years of pain coming up. And that's if they nail the draft.

Is that better?

Doesn't change the point I was trying to make. He has gone, in his mind, from a sound employment environment where he was happy to a place that has just cut a heap of players and has no coach.

North at the moment are a rabble and have at least 3 to 4 years of pain coming up. And that's if they nail the draft.
It appears you've completely missed the point.

Stephenson wasn't forced to move to North, he was asked to pick a team and Collingwood would facilitate a move.

In his mind, which is clear from the interview this week, Jaidyn was happy and comfortable at Collingwood, then was blindsided by their intention to trade him. Once the dust settled he picked North, where he has a good relationship with a number of players, plus he fits right in the age group of the developing core.

Yeah, the team will probably be bottom 4 next year, but once Stevo is in his prime in 2-3 years they should be rising up the ladder very quickly. Seems like a pretty smart decision tbh.

Is that better?

Stephenson literally said that he was happy to be here (still wanted to stay at Collingwood) in the interviews and didn't describe North like that but go off. Post seems to also have the aim at just dunking on North for brining in a talented player.

Is that better?

I know you could argue im biased, but assuming we select a coach that knows what they are doing, I’ll be shocked if North are bottom 5 for 4 years.

And if we “nail” the next 3 drafts (so 2 years from here near the bottom), we’ll be laughing.

I think the group think around north has been massively overstated to the negative. We had 1 bad year in a hub situation, with the worst injuries in the comp with a coach you can really argue seemed to not know what he was doing.

The delistings were not really eye opening when you consider no other club has gone near them. They were just not up to it.

Anyway. Time will tell.

I see it as a fresh start

Complete rebuild from the bottom up and new coach alot of new players and he is young enough to wear the bumps and bruises to establish himself as a leader in the future.

I cant see Pies winning a flag in the next 5 years and North should be back in contention by then so not like he will be missing out on a flag.

Only thing that will probably hurt him is instead of playing in front of 70,000 ferals he will play in front of 7,000 loyals

I know you could argue im biased, but assuming we select a coach that knows what they are doing, I’ll be shocked if North are bottom 5 for 4 years.

And if we “nail” the next 3 drafts (so 2 years from here near the bottom), we’ll be laughing.

I think the group think around north has been massively overstated to the negative. We had 1 bad year in a hub situation, with the worst injuries in the comp with a coach you can really argue seemed to not know what he was doing.

The delistings were not really eye opening when you consider no other club has gone near them. They were just not up to it.

Anyway. Time will tell.
I sincerely hope the Roos bounce back quickly as I have a few mates who are supporters as well.

We miss the daily banter when the competition is lopsided in favour of just one side.

I have a feeling though when the Roos will be on their way up we'll be heading south.:thumbsu:

I sincerely hope the Roos bounce back quickly as I have a few mates who are supporters as well.

We miss the daily banter when the competition is lopsided in favour of just one side.

I have a feeling though when the Roos will be on their way up we'll be heading south.:thumbsu:

Do the eagles ever really head south though?

South for you is just missing the 8 for a year or two.

Roos did well to turn the unders for Brown into Stephenson. I really rate Stephenson and am surprised Collingwood would move on such a talent for a second rounder. I would sooner have moved WHE or someone like that for a token pick. This tells me there is some red flags with him. But maybe it’s the kick up the arse he needs.

It's not going to take 4-5 years for North to head back up the ladder, they've already been rebuilding and have a quality group of 20-22yos in LDU, Simpkin, Thomas, Larkey, Zurhaar, Taylor and now Stephenson who should all come on together within the next couple years
You are kidding yourself if you believe it will be faster than 4-5 years with the clean out north have made, They will most likely turnover another 10-12 players in the next 2 years with retirements and delistings. I would say North are in a similar position to carlton was when Sos was appointed.
I cant see them playing finals until atleast 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back