Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all the hooha re.. time to start putting things in perspective.. yep we've lost the lad for 10 weeks.. but we're in a great position where we need a 50/50 win/loss to make top 4.. If we can't accomplish that.. then we're really not worthy of it..

Move on from this.. the lad will be prime I'm sure come finals.. no risk of injury unless he does something silly on the track.. can work on any niggles he might have.. and get him absolutely frothing to get out there in September.

There's not one day that goes by where we don't inadvertently break the law.. speeding is one of those.. go and self report yourselves to the police.. or report your mates for travelling over the limit. Use the Stepho case as an example. What a joke!

Stephenson is not a problem gambler.. hes an idiot for doing it for cheap thrills. Inadvertently broke the rules.

A good ol blasting from me.. and don't wanna see you do it again.

That's how I would have approached it.
Problem is once anyone else at the club finds out, they are also seen by AFL as guilty of a big violation if they keep it from AFL, It's the new Australian dobber culture. As it was maybe only his one friend outside teh club knew about it, should have just stopped and told his friend to forget it ever happened - like probbably quite a few players already have done, and then again a few more still have similar meanlingless bets until now. AT least it will probably stop most of them now not that it really matters anyway at that harmless level. Kind of ridiculous that people who deliberately cause other players serious and sometimes permanent injuries typically get a lot less than 10 week let alone 22 suspended to 10.

The fact remains that sports betting companies would simply not be spending so much on advertising if it weren't creating some degree of demand for a gambling market. Whether they say so or not, gambling addicts are what net these companies money (hence cash backs, etc. to incentivise further gambling). It violates the principles of the profit motive if it costs more to advertise than it brings in.' I'm not sure that's difficult to grasp.

My point is that the AFL gladly saturates its viewership with these advertisements, allowing its own consumers to serve as an advertising market for these organisations. These advertisements which themselves are designed to create a demand, and thus contribute to addiction.

Again, I don't think it's a huge leap to think that gambling addicts, especially those addicted to sports betting, would do something like Stephenson has done.

Does that mean I think Stephenson should bear no blame? Of course not. But he has been crucified by an organisation which uses our sport to create an addiction among its viewership, an addiction which (1) would eventually come back to hit the sport at some time; and (2) has destroyed how many thousands of lives and families.

Therefore, I apportion some blame to them, and see their holier than thou attitude when scapegoating Stephenson as hypocritical.

I'm not going to harp on it, it's another board and I don't want to overstay my welcome. But I think those of us who have been involved in the advertising industry (and/or helped out with addicts) will identify with what I've written.

Hmmmm, it's hardly scapegoating when Stevo has blown the rules. Do the crime, do the time.

And nobody advertises for no benefit. They are definitely promoting gambling. But they do that across so many mediums that it is naïve to think the AFL excluding themselves from that would change anything.

I'll leave it there.

Using this example BJ let's play a hypothetical game.
Your child confides in you that he/she has done something wrong that could have serious consequences.
If you remain silent there is a good chance that nobody will ever know.
Do you try to protect your child or do you drive him down to the police station to be charged.
"Leadership is to stand up when it's not that easy. Anyone can do the right thing when it's easy, but to do the right thing when its not is true Leadership" - Nathan Buckley

Just reported my mate for flicking his dart out the window.. mates are mates.. but he overstepped the boundaries there.. and there was also a bloke who turfed his solo can out the window so took his number plate as well.. and I'm also going to make a citizens arrest if I see anyone turf their cigs on their way home from the G.

What's right is right.

For crying out loud.

I know exactly the position Howe was in, he chose himself.
It had nothing to do with 'leadership'.
On the basis of your reasoning

Walsh also failed your Leadership test, because he could have said nothing
Anderson presumably, could have also said kept quiet....so on your criteria another fail
Then the Board and all the way up to Eddie....all failed

See how ridiculous it sounds?

Just reported my mate for flicking his dart out the window.. mates are mates.. but he overstepped the boundaries there.. and there was also a bloke who turfed his solo can out the window so took his number plate as well.. and I'm also going to make a citizens arrest if I see anyone turf their cigs on their way home from the G.

What's right is right.

For crying out loud.

This is such a terrible analogy on almost every level

Yes mate.. when you've had an issue with a workmate.. and you've turned your back and walked off and confided in someone by calling them some sort of 'f' bomb word.. what you have effectively done is break the rules of your organisation.. are you expecting the person you confided in to report you?

Based on your analogy.. the answer is 'yes'.

The bloke bets $3.. investigated of match fixing etc.. and cleared.. and you wanna hang him?

Who are you.. the righteous saviour? What you've never followed the see no evil hear no evil speak no evil philosophy?

Do you not understand how much this incident has been blown out of proportion or not?

You go to the extreme level of this could lead to match fixing etc etc.. well f me.. I should report my mate for flicking his dart out the window cause I'll take the extreme level.. oh the butt has found it's way down some drain.. and into the ocean.. and down some poor seal cubs throat.

BS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am finding it a very interesting discussion regards speaking up or not. I lean much more towards the way we have handled it personally, but the human part of me does questions whether there always needs to be a 'scortched earth policy outcome' to a mistake.

Listening to Leigh Matthews on the Daisy issue he stated that sometimes you may need to sacrifice one to educate the many. When Luke Hodge was brought up he laughed and said 'I can tell you I would never use Hodge as a scarifice to educate anyone.'

Who knows what may have happened if Howe didn't push Stevo and the outcome may have been worse with an eventual life ban if he didn't stop, but the naughty part of me does think, could we have got away with it and dealt with it internally? I'm glad we went the way we did and think it will positively influence everyone within the club.

Once it got to Walshy there was no other way to go. i wouild be devestated if those charged to look after our club made a decsion to jeopardise it.

Last edited:
I'm having some pretty bad s**t at the moment so acknowledge I'm coming from a different place. But sometimes speaking up does help a mate and letting them cover s**t up just stores up a bigger problem for later. Not every case is the same and judgement is required and * knows mine is s**t. But sometimes yeah you become part of a bigger problem.

If what jaidyn said was true in that he realised after the third bet that he was in the wrong and that he feared that he might become addicted to gambling, then, it would have been a good opportunity for the AFL who is sponsered by gambling revenue, to applaud jaidyn for recognising this and actually use it as a good example of how to recognise a problem and bring it out in the open for his own good. However, they chose to get on their high horse and condemn the boy rather than trying to make some good out of it. Such double standards have the AFL. How do you sleep at night knowing you are poisoning people with betting adds then punish them for it. BTW, not saying what stevo did was right

I'm having some pretty bad **** at the moment so acknowledge I'm coming from a different place. But sometimes speaking up does help a mate and letting them cover **** up just stores up a bigger problem for later. Not every case is the same and judgement is required and **** knows mine is ****. But sometimes yeah you become part of a bigger problem.
Absolutely

I am finding it a very interesting discussion regards speaking up or not. I lean much more towards the way we have handled it personally, but the human part of me does questions whether there always needs to be a 'scortched earth policy outcome' to a mistake.

Listening to Leigh Matthews on the Daisy issue he stated that sometimes you may need to sacrifice one to educate the many. When Luke Hodge was brought up he laughed and said 'I can tell you I would never use Hodge as a scarifice to educate anyone.'

Who knows what may have happened if Howe didn't push Stevo and the outcome may have been worse with an eventual life ban if he didn't stop, but the naughty part of me does think, could we have got away with it and dealt with it internally? I'm glad we went the way we did and think it will positively influence everyone within the club.

Once it got to Walshy there was no other way to go. i wouild be devestated if those charged to look after our club made a decsion to jeapordise it.

Possibly. Is that the required procedure of the club or would we then be joining JS in breaking rules?

Protecting an organisation/individual by secrecy/non-disclosure is a commonplace practice that enables a hell of a lot of evil and corruption in this world. Why, in this case, would it be the right choice?

Interesting discussion...…...below is a Greek saying that I believe in because I must admit I am a bit dodgy in my thinking.

The translation is ……" With a cross in your hand.....only the Priests made money".
Sometimes life isn't all Black & White or Good or Bad.

By the way if you think Geoff Walsh hasn't covered up for footballers mistakes in the past you are definitely one of those people with a "cross in your hand".

tromaktiko622 Jun. 26 14.18.jpg

Sometimes being a leader means NOT following the rules. Once you grasp this then you may understand my genius and profit from my wisdom.

Breaking rules when they are stupid I agree with, and do it all the time. But these rules go to the whole integrity of the game, the club, and the individual.

Once again you show that you have no idea what leadership is about. For you it is all about the ends justifying the means. That aint leadership.

It’s an interesting discussion, the take it public or not take it public.

Like so many things, there are shades of grey.

Some things are, by our own judgments on the small scale.
Some things we might judge on the large scale.

These are human dilemmas all the time.

In this particular scenario the aggrieved error involved betting on football and Collingwood.
So Jeremy and Geoff would have judged it as a big thing.
Hence, they felt the right thing to do was their actions and then Jaidyn likewise.

Had it been Jaidyn saying he felt guilty throwing a can out of the car because he felt chuffed at that torp, it might have simply been Jeremy saying, don’t do that because it reflects poorly on you, and if it gets snapped you’d get a bit of flak on social media. But they’d be no Geoff Walsh, no suspension.

Depends on the gravity.
Whether it’s right or wrong this matter is deemed serious.
Even more serious then breaking someone’s jaw, that’s just how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back