Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayner is playing in a side that has one less win than Stevos. His performances this year have been worse than last year when Brisbane was much worse so that theory doesn’t hold up here. He had 3 touches in a game they won on the weekend.
Stephenson is currently a significantly better player and all clubs would choose him above Rayner if given the opportunity. If Stephenson stays a forward, he will be on of the very best of his generation. If he becomes a midfielder, he'll have to be an extremely good one to justify him not playing forward.

Rayner, however, is still a very good prospect. He's just taking a more normal amount of time to develop - Stephenson's first year and a half is the best we've seen from an 18 year old draftee since Selwood and Judd. At the same stage of his career, Alan Didak was still a fringe player for us, that's who Rayner is a better comparison with. There's a similarity in that Dids and Rayner arrived with awesome talent, but physically a long way off requirements. If he's developed well by himself and his club, Rayner will be quality.

At the Saints game I saw our man Marsh and I couldn't help thinking that he was in similar shape as Stevo when he started . He has filled out quite nicely. Imagine if Stevo would look the same in a few yrs without giving up too much leg speed :D

At the Saints game I saw our man Marsh and I couldn't help thinking that he was in similar shape as Stevo when he started . He has filled out quite nicely. Imagine if Stevo would look the same in a few yrs without giving up too much leg speed :D
I thought the Saints jumper on marsh wasn’t flattering on him.
But then again, it’s a poxy set up over there.

I thought the Saints jumper on marsh wasn’t flattering on him.
But then again, it’s a poxy set up over there.
Totally agree, he looked much better in B&W. More natural even

I think your memory is a bit hazy mate. Marsh was pretty well developed physically when he was drafted, weighing in at 87kg. Stevo was 70kg wringing wet. Very very different body types...

I reckon Marsh at the same age had a much thicker build than Stevo. Marsh always had the body shape of an athlete.

Stevo will never have bulk. He’s built more like Dustin Fletcher, Brett Burton or even maybe our own WHE.

He’ll fill out a little more but not heaps.

I think your memory is a bit hazy mate. Marsh was pretty well developed physically when he was drafted, weighing in at 87kg. Stevo was 70kg wringing wet. Very very different body types...
Must be the long sleeves effect :(. Just googled some of his 2016 photo's and indeed a lot more bulk then I seem to remember. Pity :(

I reckon Marsh at the same age had a much thicker build than Stevo. Marsh always had the body shape of an athlete.

Stevo will never have bulk. He’s built more like Dustin Fletcher, Brett Burton or even maybe our own WHE.

He’ll fill out a little more but not heaps.
YES agree...jaidyns always been a skinny kid ..from juniors ,tac cup and even now hes not bulked up much....his old man was the same as a kid...he was tall and skinny when we were at school...jaidyns pretty well the same as his dad...his dad mind u has thickened out since about 40 onwards ...hahaha

Kid is a freak. Should have kicked 6 today...... but he’s caught the Collingwood set shot disease it seems... :(
Great game. If he kicked straight.....
Could be one of the best ever.
Seriously.

Just a natural.

YES agree...jaidyns always been a skinny kid ..from juniors ,tac cup and even now hes not bulked up much....his old man was the same as a kid...he was tall and skinny when we were at school...jaidyns pretty well the same as his dad...his dad mind u has thickened out since about 40 onwards ...hahaha
Did you have to pay out on today's mark?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I forget how the bet went but I think you owe our superstar a crisp Mawson is that correct great game he had

Kid is a freak. Should have kicked 6 today...... but he’s caught the Collingwood set shot disease it seems... :(

Yep. All Collingwood Forwards accept WHE are not the Most Reliable Set Shots.

Though I have found Stepho is Normally quite Accurate

JDG was a dead eye last year. Mihocek was very reliable up until a few weeks ago. Stephenson is generally very good, I’m hoping this week was an anomaly.

Don’t we all.

Really appreciate your input on our site.

JDG was a dead eye last year. Mihocek was very reliable up until a few weeks ago. Stephenson is generally very good, I’m hoping this week was an anomaly.

Hope so too. as I said Stephenson is Normally quite Accurate and Hopefully this the Exception and not the Rule

I’m putting it down to an off day. I watched him in the warm up and he was kicking them exactly how he missed. Needs to learn to put it out of his head. He’ll be right.

Stephenson is currently a significantly better player and all clubs would choose him above Rayner if given the opportunity. If Stephenson stays a forward, he will be on of the very best of his generation. If he becomes a midfielder, he'll have to be an extremely good one to justify him not playing forward.

Rayner, however, is still a very good prospect. He's just taking a more normal amount of time to develop - Stephenson's first year and a half is the best we've seen from an 18 year old draftee since Selwood and Judd. At the same stage of his career, Alan Didak was still a fringe player for us, that's who Rayner is a better comparison with. There's a similarity in that Dids and Rayner arrived with awesome talent, but physically a long way off requirements. If he's developed well by himself and his club, Rayner will be quality.

Sam Walsh is probably the next best thing to Judd, Selwood I have seen. He’s an amazing talent straight out of the u18’s. Averaging 25 disposals and nearly 4 clearances only 12 games in. Kid’s a jet. Still hasn’t turned 19 and has currently the 26th most possessions in the AFL.
But FYI, I love Stepho.

Last edited:
Sam Walsh is probably the next best thing to Judd, Selwood I have seen. He’s an amazing talent straight out of the u18’s. Averaging 25 disposals and nearly 4 clearances only 12 games in. Kid’s a jet. Still hasn’t turned 19.

Helps he get put in a Important Postion as Blues don't have anything else

The best thing about Stephenson today is that despite missing one or two from a similar spot he kept going back and having his set shots before eventually kicking one.

So often you see players clearly doubting themselves and giving it off, even in the easiest of spots.

I was thinking that too.

He did not let his Head Go Down after those Misses which is great trait to have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back