Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why be involved in a betting syndicate that bets on AFL games????

Doesn't he see this potential risk coming?
He maybe didn't know?

I'm in a betting syndicate and 99% of the time the members bet on the horse races but there is nothing stopping someone from betting on anything they like including the football.

For all we know (and let's face it we hardly know anything other than rumour) it may have been a condition of him being in the syndicate that it not involve football betting, but someone ignored it/didn't know/didn't remember etc.

Btw, I'm in a syndicate with 29 others so these things can be pretty big.

So if it was a mate in a betting syndicate that placed the bet, and he had no idea, and when he found out he let the AFL know, I think we have an all class kid here. Would have been so much more like a 19yo to try and hide it. His mates are also around 19 I'd expect, so I wouldn't blame them either. Kids making silly decisions. It's not like they were betting to make thousands or affect the result of a match.

So if it was a mate in a betting syndicate that placed the bet, and he had no idea, and when he found out he let the AFL know, I think we have an all class kid here. Would have been so much more like a 19yo to try and hide it. His mates are also around 19 I'd expect, so I wouldn't blame them either. Kids making silly decisions. It's not like they were betting to make thousands or affect the result of a match.
Come on now.

He’s a Collingwood player so he must be infected with a mysterious Collingwood virus.
Only bad as something to do with the water down our way.

Seems like he's been an almighty fool. Likely a heave suspension coming. No chance of not knowing the rules. This sounds like it's way, way worse than Thomas/Keefe accidentally taking a prohibited substance.

Not even close.

Thomas / Keeffe ‘accidentally’ took a prohibited substance in the process of undertaking an illegal activity. It’s like breaking into somebody’s house and ‘accidentally’ tripping over a power cable - gee, what a klutz!

Nobody is suggesting that anything that Stephenson did is related in any way to illegal activity.

Not sure how this makes a big difference. Someone placed a bet on his behalf. Surely on joining the syndicate he would have made clear what bets can/cannot be placed on his behalf.
Become new grey area if he straight away self reports saying that’s not what he wanted or allowed for.

I’d think that does change things somewhat.

Not even close.

Thomas / Keeffe ‘accidentally’ took a prohibited substance in the process of undertaking an illegal activity. It’s like breaking into somebody’s house and ‘accidentally’ tripping over a power cable - gee, what a klutz!

Nobody is suggesting that anything that Stephenson did is related in any way to illegal activity.

Meh, jaywalking is illegal. Doesn't make it as bad as what Stephenson has done.

The difference is, as far as I can tell, he DELIBERATELY broke the rules. That's intent. That's worse than Thomas/Keefe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like he's been an almighty fool. Likely a heave suspension coming. No chance of not knowing the rules. This sounds like it's way, way worse than Thomas/Keefe accidentally taking a prohibited substance.
Can’t buy that.
Taking illegal substances is different than doing a legal activity.

The difference is, as far as I can tell, he DELIBERATELY broke the rules. That's intent. That's worse than Thomas/Keefe.
You’ve answered my post.

I think the point here is illegal v legal.

A separate discussion is breaking AFL rules v not intending but breaking AFL rules.

But interesting discussion nonetheless.

Ricky Nixon tweeted that it might not be what everyone thinks.

He's in a betting syndicate and they put a bet on Pendles to get most possies v Saints.
One of the guys told Stevo a few weeks later and he self reported
. AFL don't think he has done anything wrong.

If this is true then he done all he could do .A fine should be all he gets and maybe told to drop any betting syndicates ,even then why should he be responsible at all if he didn't know until after it was all over.
Give the kid a pat on the back for being honest .

Can’t buy that.
Taking illegal substances is different than doing a legal activity.

My measure isn't legal V illegal, it's ethical versus unethical.

I don't consider Thomas/Keefe as morally wrong. Just a version of getting drunk and accidentally discovering in the alcohol an illegal substance. Stupid but not evil or wrong.

I consider Marley William's punching that guy years ago way, way worse morally.

I consider Stephenson's somewhere in between. He knowingly bet on a Collingwood game, from what I can tell.

Ricky Nixon tweeted that it might not be what everyone thinks.

He's in a betting syndicate and they put a bet on Pendles to get most possies v Saints.
One of the guys told Stevo a few weeks later and he self reported
. AFL don't think he has done anything wrong.

If this is true then he done all he could do .A fine should be all he gets and maybe told to drop any betting syndicates ,even then why should he be responsible at all if he didn't know until after it was all over.
Give the kid a pat on the back for being honest .

Hope this is true but it's still stupid. But it does mean he didn't necessarily know what he was doing -- since the syndicate was betting. .

You’ve answered my post.

I think the point here is illegal v legal.

A separate discussion is breaking AFL rules v not intending but breaking AFL rules.

But interesting discussion nonetheless.
Funnily enough, AFL players betting on AFL games might be illegal as early as next year, when the new national sports integrity commission and framework is set to be established.

All these piddling bets that players have been sanctioned for that threaten to bankrupt and tear apart the moral standards of the reputable betting agencies.Have any of them actually made a profit? Probably not but the AFL Governing Body deems it needs to send a stern message via harsh penalties to protect their darling sponsors from a possible heist that could rival the 1963 Great Train Robbery.

Why be involved in a betting syndicate that bets on AFL games????

Doesn't he see this potential risk coming?
Seems it was for horse racing and someone did a bet on a Pies player

Become new grey area if he straight away self reports saying that’s not what he wanted or allowed for.

I’d think that does change things somewhat.
It suggests this wasn't about profit or spot fixing. If the bet was placed out of ignorance then he still bears responsibility and based on the past it will be significant. If he can show the bet was knowingly placed against his wishes then I can't see any wrongdoing.

CRAP

He is at training this morning.
And he was at the breakfast yesterday.

Probably where it all started once I walked in the room.

1960 Melbourne Cup winner at work.*

* Hi Jinx won the Cup that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back