Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else uncomfortable with this public media discussion of Stevo’s bets? Which of his goals may (or may not) have been influenced (or tainted) by his bets?

Doesn’t sit well with me. Almost making light of the issue. And how did McClure get hold of this information - a leak in the AFL integrity unit?

Just don’t think this should be the subject of speculation.
You’re probably right.

I think like in politics, the AFL or Collingwood or any vested interest, selectively leaks.

Think about what is to be gained by the AFL.
They give the big punishment, but also now ensuring people that their players don’t really “play dead.”

Back self interest, it’s the horse that always trying.

Anyone else uncomfortable with this public media discussion of Stevo’s bets? Which of his goals may (or may not) have been influenced (or tainted) by his bets?

Doesn’t sit well with me. Almost making light of the issue. And how did McClure get hold of this information - a leak in the AFL integrity unit?

I’ve assumed that 100% of the leaks are from our club, and they’re putting it out there specifically for us to talk about it ...

I think they’re doing it partly to ‘air out the dirty laundry’ (ensure all the sordid details are put out in the public domain, lest they be leaked in future to give the story oxygen)

And I think they’re doing it partly to protect Stevo’s public image (decent kid who was a victim of the big bad gambling monster) and to reinforce that it was handled correctly and will all be for the best (maybe to avoid any bad karma / bad blood from Stevo wondering WTF did I open my mouth? Howe open his mouth? Leadership group open their mouths? Walsh open his mouth?).

Curious to compare the PR narrative of this compared with the ‘tough love’ dished out to DeGoey for his indiscretions.

Why don't Beams and Stevo just load up their entire salaries on Stephenson not to win the Coleman and Beams not to win the Brownlow and then all their problems would be solved...
Beams and Stevo are very different in terms of this topic.

I’ve assumed that 100% of the leaks are from our club, and they’re putting it out there specifically for us to talk about it ..

Not so sure about this 76. If it’s the club deliberately leaking then it’s keeping the issue in the media, and the focus on Stevo. I’d prefer neither of those things were happening.

Beams and Stevo are very different in terms of this topic.

I find the lunacy of the Beams rumour and the punishment handed out to Stevo equal.

If he got caught altering his play to help a bet get up then he should have gotten what he got but a shits and giggles $36 punting splurge by a 20 year old who is only guilty of naivety and stupidity shouldn't cop the financial sanctions AND the suspension he got... seems stupid you can get in more trouble for what you do off the field than on it.

Not so sure about this 76. If it’s the club deliberately leaking then it’s keeping the issue in the media, and the focus on Stevo. I’d prefer neither of those things were happening.

I can see the sense in releasing what the actual bets were to put to bed any suspicion he did miss on purpose or any conjecture he altered his performance in any other way. That's what is so serious about it, the club need to clear his name in that regard. And make sure it's remembered for what it is, not spot fixing but a dumb decision by a 20 year old.

It has only been in the media a week which in the grand scheme of things (10 weeks sanction + a lifetime of reputation) isn’t much.

You'd be happier with sailing a big barrel through the sticks on the MCG as a 20 year old instead of a $12 multi getting up... it's ridiculous to think he would alter his performance to win $50. When he got $5k just for stepping out there...
Just like it was ridiculous to think an AFL player would put a massive contract in jeopardy for the privilege of being able to bet on specifically an AFL game to begin with?

Let’s stop pretending people largely make rational, logical decisions when gambling. Betting on roulette isn’t logical. Standing on a pair of 8’s against a 6 isn’t logical. Putting money in a poker machine isn’t logical, and neither is an AFL player punting on AFL in chump change amounts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that the stunt is being sponsored by Sportsbet, I’d assume that’s true!! :D
But lucky the AFL is distant from gambling.
Oh wait.....

Gamble responsibly

I’m sure there are plenty of younger players having a sly punt on the footy...
But now they would be absolutely shxt scared to self report...the harsh penalty will scare them off.
They will stop punting immediately & just hope it never bobs up to the surface.
And the “harsh penalty” wasn’t deliberately applied to make sure that others don’t self report?
Reality is, $10 million, per year finds its way to the AFL through betting sponsorships. Do you really think the AFL want that to come under scrutiny?
Stephenson was a fool, and a fool that could be used to make sure all the other fools keep their traps shut.

He's wearing Pendle's training top.

Number 10 for the number of weeks he copped.......sorry I stole that from a reply to that Instagram......I thought it was a clever reply.

Number 10 for the number of weeks he copped.......sorry I stole that from a reply to that Instagram......I thought it was a clever reply.
Or was it for the Boris Johnson v Jeremy Hunt battle for Number 10
Downing Street?

Or was it for the Boris Johnson v Jeremy Hunt battle for Number 10
Downing Street?

That’s too highbrow for me Saintly.......obviously you went to Private School.

Stevo brought this on himself when he bet for a month on himself and teammates. His reputation will be tarnished for a while.
This is such a salient point.

To be intent on gaming you’d think a mega pay day is the goal.

So you’d need a mega investment and lots of others involved (more than likely).

Assuming that people breaking the rules will only do it the smart way is a dangerous assumption. Maybe they think small wins is the best way to reduce detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back