Player Watch #16 Jake Aarts

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly can't begrudge Aarts a shot in the big league. Seemed like one of our most consistent performers in the VFL over the last couple of years and certainly has some talent. At the very least he offers some much needed depth in an off-season that we've lost plenty.

Certainly can't begrudge Aarts a shot in the big league. Seemed like one of our most consistent performers in the VFL over the last couple of years and certainly has some talent. At the very least he offers some much needed depth in an off-season that we've lost plenty.

hes pretty much better than Stengle

less upside but will stick a few more tackles and has consistency

Is he quick

I think he is, our team balance has improved alot over the last 2 draft periods, but I still love the idea of speed wherever possible...meep, meep !!

Richmond recruit Jake Aarts ready to take AFL chance after six years in the VFL
Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/bafc9954d28ae47bc96384efc9b1e33d

It is tools down for Richmond recruit Jake Aarts, who has happily traded in his job as a carpenter for a crack at playing AFL football next year.

After six seasons chipping away at VFL level — the past four with the Tigers — Aarts was selected in last week’s rookie draft in a heartwarming tale of persistence.

The small forward, who turned 24 earlier this month, admitted he had questioned what he was doing in the VFL more than once.

Long days on the job site with a nail bag around his waist were made even longer by evening VFL training sessions.

However, the pay-off eventually came and Aarts could not be happier to be now heading to Punt Rd as an AFL-listed player in a full-time capacity.

“To be honest I don’t know what kept me going,” Aarts said.

“There were times where I sort of questioned it. But I just kept wanting to do the best I could every year and putting one foot in front of the other and I just enjoyed playing at the club at VFL level.

“I don’t think a lot changed. I just go about my footy and my business the way I have every year. There wasn’t something that stood out to me. I think just consistency and hard work was something that I really pride myself on day in, day out with anything I do in life. So it’s probably one thing that got me through — hard work.”

b877151df4507e98e5e6137b89ab04e6

Aarts has spent much of the past two seasons playing a defensive forward role for the Tigers’ VFL side and made 16 appearances this year, averaging 13 disposals, four tackles and more than one goal a game.

“I had a couple of calls mid-year that got my hopes up a little bit and sort of helped drive me to keep going and keep playing good footy,” Aarts said.

“Once the interest started to come I sort of thought, ‘Geez, something could happen here’.

“I came in for my first day (on Monday) and I’m saying G’Day to all the boys I already know so it’s different to Jack (Ross) and the other draftees.”

Richmond redrafted 2017 premiership player Jacob Townsend and developing tall Marbior Chol in the rookie draft, in addition to selecting four players in the national draft.

Last edited:
Will Jake make the squad on Sunday?
864f75d5ba879a19eaac78d1a265abcb.jpg

Not sure he debuts but good to see he played so well last week and is in the mix, especially given some around here were writing him off as a delisting very recently. I still think he will be retained as a rookie and could profit from some player movement over the off season, let's hope so for Aarts' sake. :) Unlikely to be a world beater at AFL level but every chance to act as a decent low cost backup small forward/mid-forward option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four weeks..... kiddin’. Wasn’t behind the ball. Am I missing the bit where he shagged the vfl tribual chief’s Missus? Maybe two weeks. 4 seems heavy handed??

The guy had to go to hospital and was in a bad way. The doctors report must have been the main reason because you're right it was in play. Aarts just went too far this time.

It really didnt look vicious, just a late bump from behind/side. Didnt seem to deliberately target the head - but in the end the player had multiple fractures in his face? pretty bad

Will we list him again?

I say yes we should and yes we will. Makes sense especially in the context of Baker shifting to the backline and Butler likely to be traded. Aarts maybe not a very high ceiling but should have a bit more improvement left in him and would be a decent mature body, small forward backup plan on rookie money. Just makes sense to me.

I say yes we should and yes we will. Makes sense especially in the context of Baker shifting to the backline and Butler likely to be traded. Aarts maybe not a very high ceiling but should have a bit more improvement left in him and would be a decent mature body, small forward backup plan on rookie money. Just makes sense to me.

Baker better between mid and forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back