Recommitted Jake Carlisle [triggered an extension for 2020]

Remove this Banner Ad

Bizarre unless it's purely Carlisle driven.

Hannebery (27 now 28 yo) in. Hill being heavily courted (26). Goldstein also looked at (31).

But then potentially trade out their 1 prime aged key defender who has met contract clauses. Leaves them with kids (Wilkie, Battle, Clavarino) and senior depth (Brown, Marsh). - Austin in the middle but 20 games at 24 years old probably leans him towards depth. Not sure any of the 3 young guys are suited to pure full back roles, all seem to be best utilised in 3rd tall roles due to intercept marking.

I understand Jack Steven being traded out.

But Carlisle confuses me. Saints aren't an especially young team but they could use extra senior prime players (hence Hannebery, B.Hill). Saints fans any insight into a club direction? Expectations on how far away contending is?

Bizarre unless it's purely Carlisle driven.

Hannebery (27 now 28 yo) in. Hill being heavily courted (26). Goldstein also looked at (31).

But then potentially trade out their 1 prime aged key defender who has met contract clauses. Leaves them with kids (Wilkie, Battle, Clavarino) and senior depth (Brown, Marsh). - Austin in the middle but 20 games at 24 years old probably leans him towards depth. Not sure any of the 3 young guys are suited to pure full back roles, all seem to be best utilised in 3rd tall roles due to intercept marking.

I understand Jack Steven being traded out.

But Carlisle confuses me. Saints aren't an especially young team but they could use extra senior prime players (hence Hannebery, B.Hill). Saints fans any insight into a club direction? Expectations on how far away contending is?

I don't think we're close to challenging to be honest. So on that basis Carlisle could potentially been as surplus to requirements. He is a solid KPD, but Battle is younger and has more potential. Carlisle is also not a leader in any way.

I don't think we're close to challenging to be honest. So on that basis Carlisle could potentially been as surplus to requirements. He is a solid KPD, but Battle is younger and has more potential. Carlisle is also not a leader in any way.

I know Hannebery only cost the equivalent of like pick 35, but then the notion of Hill for potentially pick 6 is bizarre. If 4 years away from King, Coffield, Clark, Battle, Bytel, Wilkie joining Billings, Marshall, Membrey, Steele etc as bona fide players (not just potential) then using pick 6 for a drafted or trade target under 23 makes much more sense, not a bloke who will be 30 by then. That's what I don't get.

Played the best back to back games I can remember from a young tall a few years back. 8 against the dogs and 4 with 20 odd marks against the pies. All the while looking like he was hating it, something I note has not changed away from “this f’n club”. Strange cat but surely the Saints keep him unless they get a great offer or something useful in acquiring their other targets.

I reckon it's very safe to say that we won't be trading Jake unless we have a Tomlinson/Keath (who we are both meant to be into) in the bag.

One of them, Battle and Wilkie ought to be plenty.

None of them necessarily super-suited to FB, but neither is Jake.

No room for Austin? He was good last year before injury. Surely the Saints would persist with him.

No room for Austin? He was good last year before injury. Surely the Saints would persist with him.
He's very good at taking intercept marks, but very poor generally at defending 1-on-1.

I don't tend to watch what he's doing that closely at the games, but those who do say he doesn't get within about 5-10m of whoever he's playing on! Just plays super-loose.

He's kind of out-of-sight, out-of-mind, given that he's been injured pretty much all year.

With Battle playing that sort of role (but closer checking), he might struggle to get a look in.

I reckon it's very safe to say that we won't be trading Jake unless we have a Tomlinson/Keath (who we are both meant to be into) in the bag.

One of them, Battle and Wilkie ought to be plenty.

None of them necessarily super-suited to FB, but neither is Jake.
That would be setting off alarm bells for me if your trading out Carlisle to bring in Keath who’s the same age, would point towards you don’t trust Carlisle’s back or maybe something to do with attitude. I’m sure clubs would be wary of that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot about Darrygh (butchered spelling no doubt) Joyce too? His role going forward?

Well you may have been accidentally right with your second sentence.

While he has played most of his football in defence, late in the season they moved him into the forward line at Sandringham and he performed actually quite well there.

It may also of course have been just to round out the football education of the ex-hurling star.

He's very good at taking intercept marks, but very poor generally at defending 1-on-1.

I don't tend to watch what he's doing that closely at the games, but those who do say he doesn't get within about 5-10m of whoever he's playing on! Just plays super-loose.

He's kind of out-of-sight, out-of-mind, given that he's been injured pretty much all year.

With Battle playing that sort of role (but closer checking), he might struggle to get a look in.

Carlisle is the perfect fit for the hawks, great disposal, guards space well.

Would be the perfect swingman if he didn't double clutch everything when in the forward line.

Would be the perfect swingman if he didn't double clutch everything when in the forward line.
Not sure what the double grab is about, he was a ridiculous strong mark in the hands in his time with us. Biggest issue was his unwillingness to play forward which for a bloke who kicked 8 in a game once (only done by Buddy, BBB, J Cameron, J Riewoldt and both Tom Lynch’s in terms of active players) was bewildering. Unfortunately we had 2 of the top 5 or so KPDs in front of him and a whole host of other challenges.

I don’t think Hawthorn are targeting him anymore. Apparently his back injury is quite bad.

Not sure what the double grab is about, he was a ridiculous strong mark in the hands in his time with us. Biggest issue was his unwillingness to play forward which for a bloke who kicked 8 in a game once (only done by Buddy, BBB, J Cameron, J Riewoldt and both Tom Lynch’s in terms of active players) was bewildering. Unfortunately we had 2 of the top 5 or so KPDs in front of him and a whole host of other challenges.

He certainly played a couple of good games forward, but he played far more as a defender. He had a great run for us down back.

It was the right move for him to leave. He’s a KPD and we were stacked for them. It reached the point of ridiculousness when we played him as first ruck for a couple of games so he could have the s**t kicked out of him at centre bounces. Hird had lost the plot by then and the club truly was “****ed”!

Bit bewildering that he chose St Kilda when there was apparently interest from Hawthorn but he probably got a very sweet deal.

I think the double grab and unwillingness to play forward go hand in hand.

Someone on the Saints board described it as his shoulders slump when he goes forward. Mental in to physical?

Biggest issue was his unwillingness to play forward which for a bloke who kicked 8 in a game once (only done by Buddy, BBB, J Cameron, J Riewoldt and both Tom Lynch’s in terms of active players)
Kennedy?

Though apart from Adelaide's Tom Lynch they're all the six best forwards in the game or thereabouts so the point remains he's in esteemed company.

You would expect the Dogs to get Keath and Bruce so they are unlikely to get Carlisle.

If the Hawks want to trade for Carlisle and they agree to pay most of his remaining salary, would the Saints then potentially let him go for a 3rd round pick?

You would expect the Dogs to get Keath and Bruce so they are unlikely to get Carlisle.

If the Hawks want to trade for Carlisle and they agree to pay most of his remaining salary, would the Saints then potentially let him go for a 3rd round pick?
St Kilda don't need a salary dump, we need elite skilled players (who doesn't).
Getting rid of Carlisle will be to improve/upgrade the list, not just to turf him out.
Getting a third rounder will not in any way help improve the list, so that's not going to happen, as it is not the point of the dangling carrot.
If that is all that is on offer, then I would imagine he would stay on his contract (which I believe has been triggered for 2020).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back