Retired Jake Carlisle

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 388756

View attachment 388757

Our boy made it in to Round 15 AFL team of the week. Stirring stuff from Jake this week with two clutch goals and a beacon in defense.

Well deserved spot . Bit disappointed that Brown hasn't featured in that team this year . I thought he would after he gave Lynch a bath in the Suns game , pretty sure he hasn't been put in the side yet .
But happy for big Jake , he's played really well this year , we know why the Saints recruiters were so keen to get him .

Well deserved spot . Bit disappointed that Brown hasn't featured in that team this year . I thought he would after he gave Lynch a bath in the Suns game , pretty sure he hasn't been put in the side yet .
But happy for big Jake , he's played really well this year , we know why the Saints recruiters were so keen to get him .

Yeah, if the old adage 'defence wins premierships' holds any truth then the current crop are certainly enhancing our claim to be worthy of playing deep into September. Brown and Carlisle have transformed our defence and the pressure within the squad has well and truly shifted back to the midfield and forwards to improve their game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Congratulations Jake Carlisle on reaching 100 games. Hopefully you can celebrate with a win and a couple of snags tonight against Richmond.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-07-07/carlisle-rides-the-roller-coaster-to-100

Carlisle rides the roller coaster to reach 100 games

Josh Gabelich July 7, 2017 5:34 PM

It has been a roller coaster ride to 100 games and Jake Carlisle knows that better than anyone else. There have been ups and downs, a supplement saga and a move from one club to another. But now he is settled at Linen House Centre and finding his feet at the centre of St Kilda’s defence.

Drafted with pick No. 24 in 2009, the pick after new teammate Koby Stevens, the athletic key defender played 85 games in his first six seasons at Essendon before crossing to St Kilda at the end of 2015 in a three-way deal that also landed the pick St Kilda used on Jade Gresham.

“I guess you could sum it up as a bit of a roller coaster. There are a lot of good times in AFL footy, there’s some average times and some bad times. But it’s just part of the job,” Carlisle told saints.com.au ahead of his 100th game on Saturday night.

“I’m pretty fortunate to play 100 games; a lot of hard work has gone into it both pre-draft and from when you get drafted it steps up and up.

“I loved my time at Essendon for the six years I was there and made a lot of good friends, came across some good coaches and people as well.

“When the time was up there, I came across for a fresh start and I’ve fitted in really well. Hopefully I can build on my time here and finish off my career at St Kilda and hopefully as a premiership player.”

carlisleRD7.jpg

Moving clubs amid controversy was far from easy for the former Bomber. Then having to sit out for 12 months made a bad start even worse.

It has taken time to earn the trust and respect of the playing group, but the 25-year-old has done it the only way he knows how: through hard work. He has played every game in his first full season at the Saints, building form and trust by the week.

“It was obviously tough coming into the club the way I did. With everything that happened it was my aim to just let my actions do the talking,” he said.

“I’m a pretty hard trainer so all I could do was train as hard as I could and whether the guys saw me or they didn’t it didn’t matter. Behind closed doors I was still going to train just as hard.

“When I came back I was still in rehab, so not being part of the group was a bit difficult but they saw the work I was doing and the progressing I was making with getting the body right.

“Having the year off was really tough, I didn’t get to see much of the boys but there was always a reward at the end of the tunnel. It’s paying off now, we are starting to jell as a defence and we’re starting to get some wins.”

carlisleRd8.jpg

Navigating through a tumultuous year or two wasn’t easy for Carlisle. He worked his way out of the maze through the support of his inner circle, which includes four sisters who have helped him find his way.

“I’ve made some mistakes in my career but having my manager there, my Dad, my Mum and my four sisters have helped me immensely. Without a close family and the stuff I’ve been through, I wouldn’t be where I am today,” he said.

“I feel like they’ve had a massive impact on my life and my career as well because without those sort of people it’s not motivating to get up every day and do something where you’re under so much scrutiny.

“It’s obviously been tough at times but the love and support of my family has been massive for me to play my best football possible. My aim every week is to go out there and try and make my family and friends proud of who I stand for.”

carlislepreRD1.jpg

Not long after Carlisle returned to the club last September, the Saints added another key defender in Collingwood premiership full back Nathan Brown, completing a renovation of the back six.

The pair couldn’t be more different and couldn’t have arrived in more different circumstances. But quickly they have built a synergy that has not only strengthened the Saints' defence but has sparked those around them into career-best seasons.

“It’s been very good playing with ‘Browny’; he’s probably got the toughest job of all of us week in week out. He’s able to free myself up and ‘Robbo’ [Dylan Roberton] to play off and go for our marks,” he said.

“The best thing about ‘Browny’ is he just gets to work and does his business – he doesn’t complain; he doesn’t care if he gets two handballs for the game or if he blocks out for others, as long as he plays his role which he has done very well this year.

“I think he knows how important he is for the St Kilda football club playing that role each week. Coming from a big club like me, we’ve both been able to make the transition well and I think we jell together really well.”

While the journey travelled hasn't always been smooth, the road ahead looks clear for the important Saint.

Had a great game for his 100th against the Tigers . Although he only had 11 disposals and 5 marks he totally blanketed his opponent and punched the ball away a lot . Of course in the first half the ball hardly came near him .

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...o-tackle-former-club-essendon-20170712-gxa6ik

St Kilda Saints' Jake Carlisle excited to tackle former club Essendon

Nathan Brown is expecting his fellow St Kilda recruit in Jake Carlisle to be fired up for his first meeting with his former club Essendon.

The Friday night Etihad Stadium clash is the first time key backman Carlisle has faced the Bombers since departing at the end of 2015.

He sat out all of last year due to a doping ban stemming from his time with his former club.

Veteran defender Brown switched from Collingwood this season and said players couldn't help but be excited to go up against their old clubs.

"Jake's excited. It's like when I faced Collingwood earlier on in the season, you're very excited," Brown said.

"You've still got a lot of mates playing at your old club and it's good to be out there, but there's one thing - you definitely want that win against your old club."

While the Magpies are faltering, Brown is enjoying the rise of the Saints, who moved into seventh on the ladder after a stunning win over Richmond last round.

Against the Bombers they are aiming to book a fifth straight win, which they haven't done since 2011, when they last played finals.

Brown said the enthusiasm of the young Saints brigade was contagious.

"We're at a good place here at the Saints," 28-year-old said.

"We've got a lot to build and ... the sky's the limit for us and it's up to the players where we want to take it."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...nst-his-former-teammates-20170713-gxae1s.html

Wayne Carey: Jake Carlisle having more influence every week and set for a big one against his former teammates

If there's one player at St Kilda who has made those around him better this season, it's Jake Carlisle.

While he's had his challenges since making the move from Essendon, Jake has brought a real confidence to the Saints' defensive unit.

There's no doubt he's been a massive factor in the club's rise up the ladder.

Come September, his form might also be the difference between Alan Richardson's men simply reaching the finals, and doing some real damage.

Former Magpie Nathan Brown looks more assured alongside him, while the likes of Sam Gilbert and skipper Jarryn Geary no longer have to play on much bigger opponents.

Jake is a big man – not just in size, but also in stature.

When the opposition look down the line and see him, they're beginning to search elsewhere for another option. He makes the opposition want to go around him.

The fact he's starting to have that sort of influence says a lot about his importance, particularly to how the Saints' set up defensively.

You can see guys like Geary and Leigh Montagna are able to get to the right positions more often because of how predictable Jake has become.

He either brings the ball to ground or marks the footy, which is his great strength.

Those strong hands also ensure his fellow Saints can get on their bike much earlier, given he's not beaten in the air too often.

When his teammates see him with a clear run at the footy, they can set off to make position further up the ground.

That doesn't just apply to defenders, but also to midfielders.

Adelaide is a great example of that with both Daniel Talia and Jake Lever really strong in the air.

Their teammates are so confident they're going to win the ball that it allows the Crows to transition from defence to attack quickly.

As good as the Saints were in an attacking sense against the Tigers last week, it was matched by their backline.

Carlisle was a solid contributor in that area.

While he's yet to have the 12- to 15-mark game, he proved he was capable of a few years ago at Essendon, I think that's just around the corner.

After starting the season slowly, he has been steadily building.

So far in 2017, he's played more minutes than any other Saint and seems to be growing in confidence after those 12 months on the sidelines.

His numbers aren't massive – he had 11 possessions last week, to go with 17 and 16 in the fortnight before – but he's become a real general back there. His disposal efficiency is also underrated.

He might not be an Alex Rance or even a Jake Lever in terms of accumulating the football right now, but that's where I think his improvement lies.

Let's not forget he was nearly All-Australian as far back as 2013.

Then, later in his time at Essendon, Carlisle was forced to play forward because the Bombers had few other options.

He looked really good at different stages, but struggled for consistency.

While he is clearly a better defender, making the move back still takes a fair bit of adjustment.

He'll certainly be nervous on Friday night against the Bombers, given he's yet to meet his former club despite leaving almost two years ago.

As difficult as his last year at Essendon was, I'm sure he'd still have a certain connection with many of those players because of how much they went through together.

Carlisle will definitely have a big job on either Joe Daniher or Cale Hooker, but they're two players he should know reasonably well.

Friday night's match is a great opportunity for him to stand up against his old team on a big stage.

Having said all that, the beauty of St Kilda at the moment is that they don't rely on any one player.

In the past, that might have been Nick Riewoldt or Montagna and more recently Jack Steven, but now the Saints are very even right across the ground.

I think that has been important for Carlisle in his comeback to footy as it has allowed him to keep things simple and focus on his role.

The Saints' recruiting team deserves plenty of credit for identifying Carlisle and then Brown as targets in their biggest area of need.

Even when Sam Fisher was still playing he was often undersized.

While Carlisle is yet to have a real "wow" game in red, white and black, don't be surprised if he produces it soon.

I think he looks primed to take his game to the next level in the coming weeks, and who knows just how deep that will take the Saints into September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was probably the Saints best player against his old team the Bombers . Played really well until he was flung forward in desperation in last term . Then suffered from poor delivery from the Saints mids .

https://shar.es/1TkZm3
Carlisle voted as Centre Half Back in the media team of the week .

What a pick up he has been , it's just a pity because of the drug episode at the Bombers that we didn't get a year with Carlisle with Dempster and Fisher as it would have been an awesome trio . But Brown has been very good with Carlisle this year and the two of them have been is such form that players such as Robbo and Webster have been able to run off the backline to attack .

Carlisles game against Port was probably as good a game you will see by a Centre Half Back in poor conditions, wet and slippery, where other players struggled to mark , Carlisle took intercept marks all night .

Last edited:
Carlisle got reported twice against North but there was nothing in either , just the umpires over reacting as usual.

Hope you're recovering well from your recent procedure BT.

Carlisle was strong again for the Saints bad back and all. He has quickly become a very important cog in the defensive wheel. I would have liked to have seen him transition forward from time to time with a little more success, because I think that enhances the team dynamic.

Overall though, I think it would be fair to say that he has become the defender that we all wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just thought I'd drop in and see how y'all are liking my old Big Jake.

Because I am missing him terribly. But I am loving watching him play still. He was a bit out of shape earlier in the year, but I've really enjoyed watching him over the last month or two. He really is a quality, quality player.

I have to admit, it's good seeing him where he belongs. NOT in Saints colours (oh you!) but in the damn back line. He is a very smooth mover and he's one of those players that make you feel so calm when the ball is in his area - a wonderful trait for a defender. You just know he's overwhelmingly likely to make the right decision.

He moves like a cat, too, doesn't he? Am I right? I know I'm right. He just lopes around like a big jungle cat. And those clunkers eh?? How about the clunkers??? When he takes the big pack mark it's just majestic.

Anyway. I'm glad to see him doing well. I told you so, when you all were so mad about Dodo playing a little bit hardball, that he'd be worth it pretty much whatever you paid. That you'd forget about pick whateverthe* in years to come when he's clunking them everywhere, and of course I know you all feel like you got a good deal anyway how it all panned out, so that's good.

Comiz if you don't make the finals, but hopefully Jake is a big part of a successful St Kilda side soon

just thought I'd drop in and see how y'all are liking my old Big Jake.

Because I am missing him terribly. But I am loving watching him play still. He was a bit out of shape earlier in the year, but I've really enjoyed watching him over the last month or two. He really is a quality, quality player.

I have to admit, it's good seeing him where he belongs. NOT in Saints colours (oh you!) but in the damn back line. He is a very smooth mover and he's one of those players that make you feel so calm when the ball is in his area - a wonderful trait for a defender. You just know he's overwhelmingly likely to make the right decision.

He moves like a cat, too, doesn't he? Am I right? I know I'm right. He just lopes around like a big jungle cat. And those clunkers eh?? How about the clunkers??? When he takes the big pack mark it's just majestic.

Anyway. I'm glad to see him doing well. I told you so, when you all were so mad about Dodo playing a little bit hardball, that he'd be worth it pretty much whatever you paid. That you'd forget about pick whateverthe**** in years to come when he's clunking them everywhere, and of course I know you all feel like you got a good deal anyway how it all panned out, so that's good.

Comiz if you don't make the finals, but hopefully Jake is a big part of a successful St Kilda side soon
He's pretty unfairly treated in the media IMO, given how much he seems to be disliked by a lot of opposition players/supporters. Single handedly took on half of North Melbourne on the weekend, my love for that campaigner grows more every week. Doesn't seem to get any recognition outside of St Kilda, but the B&F will prove how much of an asset he's been for us, he'll definitely be top 5 and I won't be surprised to see a podium finish for him.

Reads the play very well and I honestly can't remember seeing him miss a target by foot this year - is a leader down back as well, very happy to have parted with Pick 5 for him and getting the pick in return that ended up being Gresham makes it all the more sweeter for Saints fans.

If he was still at Essendon or anywhere else he'd probably be my most hated player, but is very quickly becoming my #1 at the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back