News Jake Kelly departs to Essendon as a free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Those on Essendon board seem happy with securing Kelly as UFA and seem to suggest that perhaps the deal will be big enough to net a high enough compo pick for AFC to hand back to Essendon for Aaron Francis.

Yes as Vader said, why would we want to do that?

If we traded a draft pick for Francis it would be pick 80+.

He has been a good servant to the club and given his all to the best of his abilities.

That being said - we had to many of his type in the team. Time to recruit defenders that have speed, are willing to take the game on and that can kick and think fast. To often the ball would get into the hands of a Kelly, Hartigan, Keath or Talia and then take to long to go anywhere and the opposition would just press up and zone us in. Meant our ball movement was slow and we couldn't get get quick ball movement into our F50 making it hard for our forwards.

The commentators often speak very highly of him so hopefully he has enough brownie points, and that the offer is big enough that it nets us a pick that we can use.

I'm worried for Nicksy.

The outs this year, albiet great for the long term vision of the club, I fear will lead to a drop off next year.

The losses of Mackay, Lynch, Talia and Kelly are the right call. It'll blood more young ones. But that short term pain without the support on the field with these experienced players to help lead the youth. I can see a step being taken back in 2022.

But at the end of the day, none of them will be around for our next tilt at a premiership, and only 1 of them would still be here when we're competing for finals. So taking that backwards step, to allow a leap forward down the track is the best decision.

Worry for Nicksy though is we've always been a cutthroat club when it comes to coaching. The fact he's leading us into 2022 already has him as the 2nd coach in our history to survive through 2 years of non-finals.

But I am intrigued. I really think this'll allow McAsey to slide into our defensive structure in a role he wont be out of his depth.
Also depends on who we get in via the trade period ....Milera and Crouch back will add experience though

Of course the AFC wouldn't trade a pick that high for Francis. He's barely worth a third rounder at this stage.

They are a funny lot at Essendon. Their club and supporters both massively over value their players. Usually some flashy spud with xfactor that rocks up every 5th game against a bottom team. One of the reasons they haven't won a final in nearly 2 decades.

Also depends on who we get in via the trade period ....Milera and Crouch back will add experience though
Yep, Milera will basically replace Mackay. Him and Seed as our primary wingmen hopefully, with Cook/Sholl helping out

You’d hope one of Worrell or Hinge would be coming for Kelly’s spot. Hell, maybe even Sloane takes his spot in the defensive 7, as you’ve suspected

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Milera will basically replace Mackay. Him and Seed as our primary wingmen hopefully, with Cook/Sholl helping out

You’d hope one of Worrell or Hinge would be coming for Kelly’s spot. Hell, maybe even Sloane takes his spot in the defensive 7, as you’ve suspected
I'd say Hinge for Kelly .....he looked good in his only game ...longer kick than Kelly, and A LOT Quicker

Hinge being older will mean we have some experience

Really felt for him when he along with Luke Brown when they seemed like the only 2 defenders to try their damn hardest to hold back the tide in the 2017 GF, but the fact he was even a part of a Grand final team when apart from just trying to shutdown the 4th/5th best opposition forward he had so many flaws in his game.

Remember almost jumping through a wall back in 2019 against Brisbane when he dropped a simple mark in the back pocket, fumbled it, and gave it straight to Cameron who goaled, the quintessential Jake Kelly moment.

so yeah…

Q3UnrW5.gif

Do you think he knows we are getting dawson and he might find himself out of the team? I hope so.

Good luck Jake. Been a damn fine servant of the club. Got a lot more games than would have thought when we drafted him.

According to Champion Data, Kelly is the second-best player in the competition for defending one-on-one contests over the past four years.

The 26-year-old has lost only 35 (18 per cent) of his 193 one-one contests since the start of 2018.

The Bombers beat North Melbourne to Kelly in a further sign Tullamarine has become an appealing trade destination.

Snaring the no-frills stopper was another shrewd move from the Bombers as Kelly is a flexible team-first defender who can handle talls and smalls in the back line.

The Bombers also don’t have to give up anything for him in a trade as Kelly is an unrestricted free agent.

The reliable Crow finished seventh in the club’s best and fairest this year and expressed a desire to head home to Victoria to continue his AFL career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back