News Jake Kelly departs to Essendon as a free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck to Jake, sounds like he was a good influence around the club. Right thing for both parties 100%. North have probably given him an offer.

Edit:

He only has a brief moment in the Amazon documentary, but he gives a pretty good speech to the younger players basically laying out to them that they weren't commited or focused enough and that's part of the reason why we were struggling so bad to start the year.

A good, decent, solid player, who in the right team might take his game to the next level.

IMO doesn't have the pace and quick decision making for the modern game.

Good luck to Jake. Couldn't question his endeavour and efforts for the club over the years. Personally, I think we have him covered with our recent recruits across half-back, and I see Hinge potentially slotting into that role. I won't miss the hesitation and short sideways kicks, however. His defensive abilities were sound, but his offensive work was always an issue.

I think this makes sense for him and us. We'd be looking to phase him out and bring other people in through that position who will not only be in our side in a few years when we hopefully make finals again, but then aim to have them in the side for a period of time.

If he goes somewhere where they actually just need to fill that position he gets to play for the next 4 or 5 years.

Basicially, we don't go to any great effort to keep anyone who wont be here for the duration of a 5 year window opening in a couple of years time.

Signs are positive that we've realised that pretty much all premiers spend about 5 years in and around the top 4, rarely do they pop up into the top 4 at the end of a lists run for a year, snag a premiership and drop back out of the 8 like we have done several times.

Probably for the best all round. I think he's a bit unfairly maligned around here but he's not even close to a must keep and now we have a chance to try out some youth in his role. We should get something for him, albeit not much.

And hey, got over 100 games out of him. Maybe the Kelly talent will continue on and we'll get a F/S pick from him someday :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a guy who will give his all and can play a role, but not much more than that. not fussed about this. he's not a bad footballer by any means, but i dont think he's a best 22 footballer week in week out. good luck to him if he can get that security back home

Any word on the contract $$??

I'm guessing it is only a verbal at this stage, I don't think he can sign it until the FA period starts. After which, we will know the compensation.

Can't imagine it being big $$$, but him being only 26 should work in our favour.

Only 3 picks difference between band 4 (end R2, would currently be 38) and band 5 (R3 - 41 becomes 41 and 42) anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back