News Jake Kelly departs to Essendon as a free agent

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nick's moving out the deadwood one by one. Very similar feeling to when Blight came in. Create opportunities for young players and back them in.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Nick's moving out the deadwood one by one. Very similar feeling to when Blight came in. Create opportunities for young players and back them in.
Weren't you the bloke that wanted Nicks sacked claiming he hasn't got what it takes Muzza?

I think it's one of those things where we value what he does, but it's a role that doesn't deserve a long term deal on good money
Well Nicks isn't clearing out the deadwood if he's being rated in the top 10 at the club.

I agree he isn't worth a big deal. But I don't think this was purely Nicks decision

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Well Nicks isn't clearing out the deadwood if he's being rated in the top 10 at the club.

I agree he isn't worth a big deal. But I don't think this was purely Nicks decision
List management rarely is, otherwise we wouldn't have a committee for it.

He'd also know that a younger kid could play the same role with more upside.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He also voted Jake into the top 10 of the B&F though
McGuiness, McDermott and Jarman was pretty big at the time. Needed to be done and resulted in a flag shortly after. Hopefully we can now get the players on our list to repeat the same outcome.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well, Kelly is actually one of my favourite crows players. Got the best out of himself and if he played in most other defenses would look a lot better, our system is super difficult for a player like him. Think he will be a good pick up for the Bombers. I thought if he went he might go to collingwood but it might be a good thing for him he didn't considering they might be in a bad way for some time. Also suspect North and Noble gave him a good offer too, so Bombers wouldn't have had it all on their terms, hopefully that yields us a better pick.

Carmo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kelly was a free agent. Nicks had nothing to do with it. Kelly did it. Simple as that. Our offer would've been reasonable. The sum total of what he gets from other offers gets him what he wants which was better than what we had all things weighed up. Why complicate stuff?

Shermick

Laurence of Adelaideia
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
No hate but happy to move him on. Had one of the better attitudes/work ethics in the team but lacked polish which was a real liability at times. Room for Worrell/Hinge et al now. Essendon is a great result for Jake.

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
I doubt that there is anybody of McLeod, Riccuito, Hart, Smart, Edwards, Modra, Rehn quality on the current list …. or prime quality in waiting ready to such as Goodwin and Johnson ….. so it feels more like get ready for another year or two in the bottom 4.

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
McGuiness, McDermott and Jarman was pretty big at the time. Needed to be done and resulted in a flag shortly after. Hopefully we can now get the players on our list to repeat the same outcome.
That‘s a bit of an insult in forgetting 2 x All-Australian and Crows Team of the Nineties Wingman Greg Anderson who was also dumped.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I doubt that there is anybody of McLeod, Riccuito, Hart, Smart, Edwards, Modra, Rehn quality on the current list …. or prime quality in waiting ready to such as Goodwin and Johnson ….. so it feels more like get ready for another year or two in the bottom 4.
That was almost a state team.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Good luck to the guy but can't hide my happiness at getting rid of him. Same with Mackay.

Think he developed quite well aerially, but with ball in hand I would never trust him under pressure. Also looks strong but isn't.
Rubbish.

Kelly knows how to handle the heat. According to Champion Data, he was involved in more one-on-one defensive contests (65) this season than any other general defender. Most importantly, he lost just 16.9 per cent of them – ranked fourth among general defenders to have been involved in at least 30 defensive one-on-one contests in 2021, with Ridley the best (14.5%).

But the 26-year-old also added an attacking layer to his game during his time at the Crows. He was ranked second at the club for intercepts and third for intercept marks in 2021, while he also recorded career-highs for rebound 50s and metres gained.

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
This is the classic “great result for all parties” outcome.

We free up a list spot at a time when we need to bring in a player via trade (Dawson) and a few draft picks and have nobody to delist other than O’Connor who certainly still deserves at least a rookie list spot.

We release a player who is clearly replaceable within our existing list with the likes of Worrell, Hinge, Milera, McAsey, Frampton and McPherson either trying to break into the side down back, trying to cement their position in the side down back, or returning from injury. Throw in walk-up starts Butts, Brown, Smith, Doedee and Jones, and something had to give realistically.

We likely receive some sort of compo pick, even if it’s 3rd round which can be thrown into another deal as steak knife points or to get a Dawson deal over the line.

Jake returns to his home state and likely gets to play at least one final in 2022.

Bombers pick up a “defense-first” player in a team full of attack-first players which improves their balance, and don’t have to give up any draft capital to get him.

Good luck Jake, I think just about every AFC fan would be happy to see you do well moving forward. Anyone who boos him is a moron.

Back