Remove this Banner Ad

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
CROWS FREE AGENT CONSIDERING OPTIONS
ADELAIDE defender Jake Kelly is on the radar of North Melbourne as the 26-year-old weighs a return back to Victoria.

Kelly is an unrestricted free agent, meaning he can walk to the club of his choice without the Crows being able to match a deal to retain him.

The tough and uncompromising defender has been linked to a move back to his home state in previous seasons and remains out of contract three weeks after the end of Adelaide's season.

It is understood the Crows have put forward a multi-year contract for him and the club is keen to retain Kelly, who has been a heavily invested member of Adelaide's program.

However it is believed he is also being monitored by the Roos, whose coach David Noble was Adelaide's list manager when Kelly was drafted in 2013.

The Roos bolstered their defence last year by signing free agent Aidan Corr. His season was hit by a toe injury with the former Giant only playing two games this year, with veteran backman Robbie Tarrant

Kelly has played 110 games for the Crows, including 20 this season when he finished seventh in the club's best and fairest.

His brother Will has been on Collingwood's list for the past three seasons where he was a father-son selection with the pair's father Craig a 1990 premiership player with the club.

Who's holding this up, Jake or Adelaide? Where does Adelaide's interest in Jordan Dawson from Swans figure in this equation?

From a crows fan's perspective, Kelly is an honest player who gives it everything, but lacks class.

I think the club rates him (we like triers) so I would be sceptical if we weren't keen to retain him. I hope this isn't the case though.

Please.. please, please just someone, anyone, take him..

Just a momentum killer.

Solid one on one, great when he just plays on and is under pressure and does the first thing that comes into his head and his disposal is pretty good when he does this too..

But so often he stops. Props, looks left, looks right, looks backward, looks sideways and then, by the time he finally makes a decision, just usually ends up kicking it long down the line to where the opposition have had an eternity to set up..

Either that or he turns it over attempting a dumb “cute” kick and then is forced to stand there watching the opposition run unhindered into an open goal.

Just kills us.. so many games lost due to kelly killing all momentum our way and, at the same time, helping the opposition gain the momentum.

I’ll probably get pushback from many of my fellow crows supporters but…

Wouldnt care if we got nothing in return.

Last edited:

Just a momentum killer.

Solid one on one, great when he just plays on and is under pressure and does the first thing that comes into his head and his disposal is pretty good when he does this too..

But so often he stops. Props, looks left, looks right, looks backward, looks sideways and then, by the time he finally makes a decision, just usually ends up kicking it long down the line to where the opposition have had an eternity to set up..

Either that or he turns it over attempting a dumb “cute” kick and then is forced to stand there watching the opposition run unhindered into an open goal.

Just kills us.. so many games lost due to kelly killing all momentum our way and, at the same time, helping the opposition gain the momentum.

Sounds perfect for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just a momentum killer.

Perfect, we are looking to get rid of Atley for someone like that...

Just a momentum killer.

Yeah, it's not preferable, but between us getting 0 for Kelly, or Kelly playing 22 games for us next year, I'd rather get nothing from Kelly.

Just a nothing player at the end of the day. Tries hard, is tough as nails, but lacks any real point of difference (and I don't even know if I'd commit to saying Kelly is anything more than capable defensively). Cheap filler for a team that wants to strengthen the back end of a best 22, but only exists to stop prospects from getting a game for a rebuilding team.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not preferable, but between us getting 0 for Kelly, or Kelly playing 22 games for us next year, I'd rather get nothing from Kelly.

Just a nothing player at the end of the day. Tries hard, is tough as nails, but lacks any real point of difference (and I don't even know if I'd commit to saying Kelly is anything more than capable defensively). Filler for a team that wants to strengthen the back end of a best 22, but only exists to stop prospects from getting a game for a rebuilding team.
Sounds like Jack Madgen, bloke is barely VFL standard let alone AFL. Would rather the club pay him $200k a year just to never play for the Pies again :)

Sounds like Jack Madgen, bloke is barely VFL standard let alone AFL. Would rather the club pay him $200k a year just to never play for the Pies again :)
I'll up you one.

We have Josh Walker as our swingman...

Just a nothing player at the end of the day. Tries hard, is tough as nails, but lacks any real point of difference (and I don't even know if I'd commit to saying Kelly is anything more than capable defensively). Cheap filler for a team that wants to strengthen the back end of a best 22, but only exists to stop prospects from getting a game for a rebuilding team.
Kelly is a quality stopper, and a really great role player in the right team. Our problem is that he has been added to a defence with too many stoppers with no offensive flair over the last years (Talia, Brown, Hartigan), so he gets the ball too many times on the way out which means he's stagnant.

If a team is looking for a versatile lockdown defender, he'll come cheap and will do a good job. Just know his limitations.

Just a momentum killer.

Hardly missed a game in 5 years. The cupboard must be pretty bare if that is the case either that or the Crows selection committee rate him a lot higher than most on here. I am guilty as i rate him a lot more than most on here.

Kelly is a quality stopper, and a really great role player in the right team. Our problem is that he has been added to a defence with too many stoppers with no offensive flair over the last years (Talia, Brown, Hartigan), so he gets the ball too many times on the way out which means he's stagnant.

If a team is looking for a versatile lockdown defender, he'll come cheap and will do a good job. Just know his limitations.

Yeah, I was probably a tad harsh on the stopper side of things. Still had the Bailey Fritsch performance stuck in my head.

I disagree the issue he's been added to a defence with too many stoppers, more the game has moved past the Kelly types. If you're not manning the talls, or the most dangerous small, you just need to have an offensive game to have a positive impact as a mid-sized defender in this league. He's really a player that's arrived on the scene 10 years too late. After all, it's near unavoidable that the ball is going to be played through them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly and a 3rd to North.
Id even pay half his salary for a year.
He is a free agent.

No need to send anything to the team that want's him nor pay any of his salary if he so chooses to leave.

UFA too so we don't have any say if he wants to go.

Heading back to Victoria

EDIT:
Cleary reporting Essendon

Last edited:
Just when you think Essendon has turned the corner with their list management they do this.

Prefer Tom Cutler to Kelly and he probably isn’t best 22 next year.

What’s he like Crows fans?

There's a good summary further up the thread.

'Kelly is a quality stopper, and a really great role player in the right team. Our problem is that he has been added to a defence with too many stoppers with no offensive flair over the last years (Talia, Brown, Hartigan), so he gets the ball too many times on the way out which means he's stagnant.

If a team is looking for a versatile lockdown defender, he'll come cheap and will do a good job. Just know his limitations. '

Seems fairly versatile, can play small/med/tall.

Just when you think Essendon has turned the corner with their list management they do this.

Prefer Tom Cutler to Kelly and he probably isn’t best 22 next year.
We re-signed cutler this morning lol

Think this is essentially the Ambrose replacement except healthier and a bit more versatile

North fans right now

matrix-dodge.gif

Then again, I felt the same when Essendon signed Shaun McKernan and he gave the Dons several years of solid service.

You would hope if you support Essendon that the Dons are not paying him too much.

North fans right now

matrix-dodge.gif

Then again, I felt the same when Essendon signed Shaun McKernan and he gave the Dons several years of solid service.

You would hope if you support Essendon that the Dons are not paying him too much.
Id hope 350k max although i dont think we were anywhere near our 95% cap so probably needed to go to someone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back