Jake Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the same principle though. Fatigue makes everything harder, and not only that, puts a player under much more pressure.

It's only natural to fumble more when exhausted

This is one of those things that the eyes really let you down when making these comments. I do accept it's in part that when Milera does make a turnover it tends to stand out which doesn't help (and really, you should never trust your eyes without stats. Stats wouldn't exist if the eyes could be trusted in any capacity).

Milera currently averages 2.9 turnovers per game, and 72.7%DE from 17.7 disposals per game. Not a bad rate at all considering he's meant to be taking riskier kicks and that structurally we are an absolute mess (which in turn inflates turnovers).
Seedsman currently averages 5.7 turnovers, and 71.2%DE from 23.3 disposals per game.
Everyones favorite wingman Atkins averages 4.2 turnovers, and 71.7%DE from 19.9 disposals a game
And for a depressing note, Mackay averages 3.1 turnovers, and 74.7%DE from 16.6 disposals a game.

Out of all our outside players, Milera is the person you should be blaming the least when it comes to turnovers; yet here we are. He easily fits in a half back, or wing role when we do select our best 22; so easily it's etched into the whiteboard.

Perhaps the issue is that number of turnovers in a bad five minutes and then that stays in your mind all game. I do know that I was getting so annoyed at one stage with his inability to clear the ball out effectively. Yet I can recall about four games ago where he played the game of his life and his disposal was pin point.....again though I felt in that game it was more open.

Am I right in thinking that Jake’s brother is in line to be picked up as a father-son for Collingwood? Surely Jake would like to reunite with his brother and so we should reluctantly trade him to the Pies on compassionate grounds...we can do a straight swap for Scharenberg.

The problem with kelly is that he gives us no drive or run from our backline. Sure hes ok 1 on 1 but his kicking is short. We already have talia and brown who has become more willing to run out of defence and to a lesser extent doedee. This leaves hartigan, laird and kelly as our main exits from defensive 50. Not really an exciting prospect. His form this year has been average like alot of his teammates. A spell in the 2s would be good for him and the team. We need another running defender * knows who it is.

Am I right in thinking that Jake’s brother is in line to be picked up as a father-son for Collingwood? Surely Jake would like to reunite with his brother and so we should reluctantly trade him to the Pies on compassionate grounds...we can do a straight swap for Scharenberg.
Collingwood didn't rate Jake, and he wasn't particularly happy with the way they communicated their intentions with him. I believe his younger brother is rated much more highly.

One of the main reasons Kelly has been crap this year is our midfield. The opposition are just running away from us with no pressure in the midfield, which makes defenders lives much harder. Kelly is the main one getting exposed by this. And when he gets the ball, none of our mids are in positions where he has an easy kick to them to get out of defence either. The lack of Smith is also a contributing factor there.
This season has been such a shitshow with fitness and mental strength that we should just give games to the kids, develop them a bit, and restart next year. Kelly may still be a part of it once we have our better players actually playing (and looking like they want to play as well)

Real happy with the way he played last year but this year not so much

Reckon he is partially victim to our whole defensive structure breaking down since half time in the Showdown (excluding the Dogs game)

Prior to that most of not all of our defenders were having decent seasons.

Since that half time break it's been horrendous with easy goals being leaked on a regular basis. He's one of a few that have looked fumbly and devoid of system/direction.

Griffin and Langdon won't combine for 6 goals again this year and Cox won't kick 4 again either.

The last month is some of the worse defensive structures I've ever seen in our history and Kelly is, to an extent, caught up in that.

Yeah good assessment, I think early in the year, it was largely our defensive structures that were keeping us in games and winning us games against average opposition. Our offensive game, a massive strength the past few years, has really only been seen against Richmond and Sydney, and short patches otherwise. The defensive structures have largely been compensating for this, but ultimately have broken down of late.

Kelly himself is a great example of an average role player, made to look better by a good system and having quality players around him. Now that our structures are falling down, he’s being found out.

I think we need to be on the lookout for another 3rd tall defender, I like Francis but I’m sure there’s others, as I think Doedees best suited to that 4th tall/medium defender role that Kelly’s currently occupying.

IMO intercept is quickly becoming king in defence, along with having multiple players able to move the ball positively out of defence with run or kicking. Which is why I’m big on us going hard for both JGov and Francis, looking to potentially replace Hartigan and Kelly. Our defense has too many “shut down” only types, which means we struggle to work the ball out of defense against a press. We’re simply unable to capitalise on the oppositions turnovers into our defensive 50.

If you’re getting fast, effective ball movement out of your D50 before the opposition has a chance to set up their zone, it doesn’t matter who you have up forward, they’ll score goals. Bring it in slowly and haphazardly as we are at present, doesnt matter who you have, they’ll struggle.

Yeah good assessment, I think early in the year, it was largely our defensive structures that were keeping us in games and winning us games against average opposition. Our offensive game, a massive strength the past few years, has really only been seen against Richmond and Sydney, and short patches otherwise. The defensive structures have largely been compensating for this, but ultimately have broken down of late.

Kelly himself is a great example of an average role player, made to look better by a good system and having quality players around him. Now that our structures are falling down, he’s being found out.

I think we need to be on the lookout for another 3rd tall defender, I like Francis but I’m sure there’s others, as I think Doedees best suited to that 4th tall/medium defender role that Kelly’s currently occupying.

IMO intercept is quickly becoming king in defence, along with having multiple players able to move the ball positively out of defence with run or kicking. Which is why I’m big on us going hard for both JGov and Francis, looking to potentially replace Hartigan and Kelly. Our defense has too many “shut down” only types, which means we struggle to work the ball out of defense against a press. We’re simply unable to capitalise on the oppositions turnovers into our defensive 50.

If you’re getting fast, effective ball movement out of your D50 before the opposition has a chance to set up their zone, it doesn’t matter who you have up forward, they’ll score goals. Bring it in slowly and haphazardly as we are at present, doesnt matter who you have, they’ll struggle.

Pick 40 2014 rookie draft says it all. Can't kick, can barely mark, no evasive skills, no flare......the boundary line is my friend !
You'd think being the son of we could bring a hard edge but no. Had an opportunity to legally hospitalise Jeremy Cameron last week and missed the ball and THE body by metres and then followed up with the same on the weekend against Freo. Delist !

Im not sure he's a victim of the structural breakdown we've seen. His biggest strength has always been his 1v1 stuff and we have seen none of that this year.

His disposal was rated poor prior to 2017, but he seemed to have tidied that up, and was hitting safe passes all day everyday. In 2018 he's missing the most basic of kicks.

He hated being beaten 1v1, and yet I've seen him put in some of the most piss poor efforts this year. Typical example on the weekend vs Freo. Ball was loose and Kelly was taking a lovely Sunday stroll while "tracking back" Has his arms out waving, doing a whole not of nothing, Giro goes goes in to get the ball, picks it up completely uncontested, sidesteps Kelly with ease and fires off a handball. In 2017, Kelly would have hit that contest as hard as anyone and not allowed an easy out. And as I said before, his aerial work for such a 1v1 player has been probably the worst part of his game altogether.

Either he's playing injured or just completely shot of confidence, OR he's got one foot out the door? (long bow to draw, just speculating). Doesn't matter about structures too much with players like Kelly (imo), he was always one who would fight tooth and nail in a 3v1 let alone a 1v1. Haven't seen any of that this year whatsoever, 0 endeavour and appears to have 0 confidence in what he's doing

People are forgetting that Hampton played at half back at GWS and if I recall had a really good patch back in 2014. If we could get him back to that sort of form I could see him being a handy addition to defence. If I recall also he kept Eddie Betts to 1 goal in one game we played gws. Also adds much needed speed which Kelly lacks.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's pigeonholed as an inside mid. He won't get a game at half back whilst Mackay is fit to play. Highly likely that Milera remains behind Mackay in that queue as it is. Hampton would need at least a couple of injuries and even then Dougie would probably go back ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's pigeonholed as an inside mid. He won't get a game at half back whilst Mackay is fit to play. Highly likely that Milera remains behind Mackay in that queue as it is. Hampton would need at least a couple of injuries and even then Dougie would probably go back ahead of him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk that part of the conditions of him requesting a trade to the Crows was that he was fed up with GWS playing him at half back and had an agreement with the Crows that he'd be used as a midfielder?

Maybe his view hasn't changed, maybe he's stubbornly insisting the club keep to its commitment to keep him as a midfielder and he's backing himself in to make it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk that part of the conditions of him requesting a trade to the Crows was that he was fed up with GWS playing him at half back and had an agreement with the Crows that he'd be used as a midfielder?

Maybe his view hasn't changed, maybe he's stubbornly insisting the club keep to its commitment to keep him as a midfielder and he's backing himself in to make it.
Not disputing your post.

Interesting that clubs wave more time in players position of preference as a carrot to move. Jeremy Howe for example was told he'd be moved and spend most of his time forward at Collingwood, yet Buckley has continued to play him in defence.

Not disputing your post.

Interesting that clubs wave more time in players position of preference as a carrot to move. Jeremy Howe for example was told he'd be moved and spend most of his time forward at Collingwood, yet Buckley has continued to play him in defence.

Well my post is 100% theory based on the rumor at the time he came on board.

I can claim none of it as anything resembling facts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back