Toast Jake Kolodjashnij

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article in the Addy today about Kolo and the year he's having. Somewhat unheralded, often maligned, he was not in many of the "best 22s" named on this board at the start of the year despite finishing top 10 in the B&F. He has done a great job in the first six rounds and now looks a pivotal part of the back six.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...m/news-story/ac5e7a8f4062a2f7b3133d7659593a68
So just how stingy has Kolodjashnij been in a miserly Cats defence?

Well, he has not had a goal kicked on him by a main opponent since Round 4.

And he has only had three goals kicked on him by his main opponent this season.

Kolodjashnij played on Jack Darling for 83 minutes in the Cats’ strong win over West Coast on Sunday night and the Eagles forward only got his hands on it 10 times. He did not hit the scoreboard.

Adelaide’s Eddie Betts (no goals in 88 minutes), Chad Wingard (no goals in 20 minutes) and Christian Petracca (no goals in 61 minutes) are other victims of Kolodjashnij’s clamps.

GWS’s Daniel Lloyd was the last player to kick a goal on Kolodjashnij back in Round 4, while Collingwood’s Jordan De Goey is the only player to kick multiple goals on him, bagging two in Round 1.
https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...m/news-story/ac5e7a8f4062a2f7b3133d7659593a68

Good article in the Addy today about Kolo and the year he's having. Somewhat unheralded, often maligned, he was not in many of the "best 22s" named on this board at the start of the year despite finishing top 10 in the B&F. He has done a great job in the first six rounds and now looks a pivotal part of the back six.

Kolo started like this last year and then fell away a bit.

Hopefully he maintains his form this year.

I remember that he's been touted to a certain extent for a while, but illness and our vets in defense had slowed his progress. Then he got that contract extension, partially I think to keep him from moving. So, I have been patiently waiting for his coming out party. He's had some beauty cameos, a 1 on 1 key victory and what not.
A big game at the G will surely announce to everyone that he will be a cornerstone of the Cats defense for years. Sunday vs Stringer will be telling and a ripper.:thumbsu:

One of these weeks ..if we are up by 70 or 80 at 3/4 time ..we need to give him a run up forward..get the guy a goal.and get it over and done with.. He has had a couple of chance and wilted like lettuce of a warm day.
His form this year he been exemplary ... lets hope the media curse ..doesnt strike him now..

Last edited:
One of these weeks ..if we are up by 70 or 80 at 3/4 time ..when need to give him a run up forward..get the guy a goal.and get it over and done with.. He has had a couple of chance and wilted like lettuce of a warm day.
His form this year he been exemplary ... lets hope the media curse ..doesnt strike him now..

Kingy K rock Football will explode!! lol

Go Catters

Kingy K rock Football will explode!! lol

Go Catters

Its sounds very patronising ..but really .. I just want it over and done with ..so if and when in a big game he is in front of the big sticks .... that the squirrels dont start a running in the wheel inside the brain box. Its obvious he should be able to kick one .. its just a mental hurdle he needs to jump.

I wonder if we went back now to when he was drafted .. and we compare the two brothers now... its a very good demonstration how the pick value used slowly dissipates and the afl performance value comes to for. Kade traded as an addendum last year to Melb ..but right now id say Jake would be worth a very good pick , a lot earlier than what he was taken.

Has really come on in recent times. As others have said, partly because he really, really knows and understands his role now. Although I could still see him playing on some KPF's in the future.

Just never, ever, ever again on the wing.
:mad:

And can't help imagining what might have been if we'd got the 'good' brother instead, though...
;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kolo started like this last year and then fell away a bit.

Hopefully he maintains his form this year.

I think I posted earlier last season that I wanted to leave the back 6 together to let them gel properly, iirc, when they brought Henderson back in late in the season, they pushed Kolo up to the wing and he struggled.

He had a couple of mares in the first half of the season but was very solid otherwise.

He's been very good this year. I gave him votes today but then changed it because I needed to fit Kelly in somewhere. He would have been next cab of the rank.

Kid is as strong as an ox , really getting the balance right now between punching and marking.
Looks very competitive as well - beat himself up when Stringer outmarked him and gave Kolo some stick - he made sure he wore Stringer like a glove after that and made sure he knew he was around :thumbsu:

Another solid effort last night ... really solid overhead.

JK now has 84 games .. while his brother has 80 ..(to be fair probably due to concussion issues)

Right on track .. at 23 turning 24 ..He now looks very solid in the backline ... and has entrenched himself to the point ..he would be pretty much just be a tick each week...bar bad luck should be good for 150 games plus now..

Kolo is another example of picking defenders later in the draft can reap rewards if you are patient... drafted 2013 , debuted 2015 .. and pretty much a regular from 2016 on..

Has been a rock this year.
I'd love to see stats on how many goals he's given up, particularly in one on one contests, I dare say it would be surprisingly low.
Biggest positive is he's all of a sudden become sure with ball in hand, makes good decisions and hits the right targets, doesn't tend to fumble all that often and is very good over head. Traits he wasn't exactly known for less than 2 years ago.
Absolute credit to him.

Id expect to see a few hats consumed thru here too....

There's been along list of "list cogger" and "spud" calls in Kolo.

Once again, time work and persistence have yielded a win.

GO Catters

Got to put my hand up and say I didnt think much of him, and thought he should be dumped....time to wash the egg off my face...he's proved me wrong.

Well done young man....
Don't think I was a big fan either can't remember,he coped a mouthful from the skipper Friday night when O Brian took that mark in the first quarter,but generally pretty reliable these days,Scarlo is doing a hell of a job with his charges, nice tight knit group now.

Long time admirer, he is vindicating that weekly.
Always going to be in our best 22 with his skill set and attributes.
Seems we got the better of the twins- poor Kade was highly touted but hampered by concussions and injuries.