News Deleted

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if by doing this Jake could have re-negotiated his salary? Seems odd to just get a 1 year extension at this point.

Does anyone know if by doing this Jake could have re-negotiated his salary? Seems odd to just get a 1 year extension at this point.

I imagine this was the point of the new contract. Nice pay increase and possibly a lump sum per year rather than simply receiving a base and match payments.

Pretty sure you can't boost your rookie salary like Boyd from the Dogs would still be on his rookie salary this year and then will get a big boost from next year onwards.

The 1st & 2nd years of the deal are set in stone by the AFL. We cannot pay him any more than what it mandated.

The 3rd year is free to whatever discussions. But gives the kid more certainty. Knows whatever happens in Year 2, he's already got a Year 3.

Pretty sure you can't boost your rookie salary like Boyd from the Dogs would still be on his rookie salary this year and then will get a big boost from next year onwards.
If that's the case, not a bad idea for the club to sign him up for another year now, rather wait another 12 months whilst his market value sky rockets!

Is there also a rule that a first year player can't be extended more than one year? I thought that was brought in a few years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to give you some perspective - the media release only came through about 1 minute ago. It's not always 'ahead of the curve'.

Great news. I'm on record as really wanting Nakia. I still do.
But I can say I'm thrilled we have Jake - he was a great risk/reward decision and its paying off. One aspect I really love is that from his boxing background he knows how to take a hit and manage his body. Really important for him whilst he's underweight... can't wait til he's at an ideal playing size. Will really do some damage.

Just to give you some perspective - the media release only came through about 1 minute ago. It's not always 'ahead of the curve'.

Great news. I'm on record as really wanting Nakia. I still do.
But I can say I'm thrilled we have Jake - he was a great risk/reward decision and its paying off. One aspect I really love is that from his boxing background he knows how to take a hit and manage his body. Really important for him whilst he's underweight... can't wait til he's at an ideal playing size. Will really do some damage.
I saw him give Vickery a bit of lip the other night. Must have been about boxing.:D

Im sure Hawthorn will try and pinch him at the end of 2017. scums. wish the AFL would ban them from trading or signing any free agents for a while

This is massive news for the club. Forget Dangerfield for a second and just think what a gun this bloke has already become and will be for this club.

We took a risk and huge opportunity to land him at last years draft and it it now starting to pay dividends. Can see this guy being better than Talia at the one on one contests and he's already got Tal's covered in the attacking sideof things

Lever, Laird and Talia are the sort of players you put in the backline and leave them there for ten years.

We're in good hands down back if those three stick around.
Lever I feel will stick to us for good, we took a risk with a guy who didn't play U18, and he wants to show up those who didn't believe in him, repaying us at the same time for our belief. Laird was given a shot on the rookie list, and has paid us back in spades, he ain't going anywhere. Talia is the ultimate professional team man. I can't see him leaving either.

Lever I feel will stick to us for good, we took a risk with a guy who didn't play U18, and he wants to show up those who didn't believe in him, repaying us at the same time for our belief. Laird was given a shot on the rookie list, and has paid us back in spades, he ain't going anywhere. Talia is the ultimate professional team man. I can't see him leaving either.

Hopefully that loyalty stays strong when Collingwood or Hawthorn come calling with an inflated contract in a few years.

can't wait til he's at an ideal playing size. Will really do some damage.

This. At the moment he's playing a 3rd tall role simply due to his lack of bulk. I think he'll be able to become a CHB once he has a couple more pre-seasons and fills out more.

Long term you would have Talia as a lock-down FB that he's well suited to, Lever as a creative CHB, Brown as a lock-down small defender, Laird as a loose defender, reading the play and dropping in to fill holes and Jaensch as the elite kick from defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back