Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if Jack Watts’ family want him home as much as Damir Lever wants Jake home? Unfortunate for them that Judas was greedy and forced him out...

Already heard there is a fair bit of unrest from the Melbourne players too.
:rolleyes:

There's a reason why he has been a whipping boy for 9 years. The same arguments were made in 2012. On his day he is brilliant. Off it, he looks lazy, slow and unaccountable. And you show up each weekend not knowing which you are getting.

:rolleyes:

There's a reason why he has been a whipping boy for 9 years. The same arguments were made in 2012. On his day he is brilliant. Off it, he looks lazy, slow and unaccountable. And you show up each weekend not knowing which you are getting.
True, but there is no doubting the players still loved him. Salary cap must be tight. Fremantle the big winners in all this. Hogan in 2019 is a monty for them

True, but there is no doubting the players still loved him. Salary cap must be tight. Fremantle the big winners in all this. Hogan in 2019 is a monty for them
Mahoney has repeatedly said that Watts' contract is akready factored in and is not a problem.

Excuse me but what was unprofessional about Lever's departure? Gave his all right up to his last game and didn't throw the towel in when he'd made his decision to leave before finals like others would have

He and his management agreed with the club on a process to aaniuncd the decision and mamange the media until after the BF and until a trade had been done

However "Money Bags" Lever then when and did something different and did his C7 interview with MR Wow Wee, so agreed on a plricess however went his own way

Yes Lever is a good intercept mark however that is also reflective of the team defence system Adelaide play and the personnel we have down back with Talia and Hartigan that frees Lever to play that way

With that said a defender still needs to defend 1+1 contests and champion data indicates that Lever lost more one on one contests then he won and is ranked below the AFL average for winning one on one contests and this is even considering Lever doesn't go to the best 2-3 opposition forwards

No matter how you cut it Melbourne paid a top midfield for a developing defender who is yet to prove he can defend one on one against the best forwards in the comp

Next year

Not with that salary cap. You won’t be bringing in anyone next year.

No good draft picks, no more big salary cap money to throw around, and a long list of players you need to re-contract. Even some KPD which cost you $750K a season at this rate ;)
- Brayshaw
- Jetta
- Petrecca
- OMac
- TMac
- Gawn
- Wagner
- Kent

Dare I say if Melbourne have a deplorable 2018 with no success you’re in for a very rough 2018 off season.

No good draft picks, no more big salary cap money to throw around, and a long list of players you need to re-contract. Even some KPD which cost you $750K a season at this rate ;)
- Brayshaw
- Jetta
- Petrecca
- OMac
- TMac
- Gawn
- Wagner
- Kent

Dare I say if Melbourne have a deplorable 2018 with no success you’re in for a very rough 2018 off season.
The instant you mentioned Wagner your argument lost all credibility.

- Brayshaw
- Jetta
- Petrecca
- OMac
- TMac
- Gawn
- Wagner
- Kent

We paid you well, stop being so salty

Yes Lever is a good intercept mark however that is also reflective of the team defence system Adelaide play and the personnel we have down back with Talia and Hartigan that frees Lever to play that way

With that said a defender still needs to defend 1+1 contests and champion data indicates that Lever lost more one on one contests then he won and is ranked below the AFL average for winning one on one contests and this is even considering Lever doesn't go to the best 2-3 opposition forwards

No matter how you cut it Melbourne paid a top midfield for a developing defender who is yet to prove he can defend one on one against the best forwards in the comp

Much prefer Dylan Roberton who cost St.Kilda a packet of chips finished high in B & F , was in All Australian squad
should have been in the team actually..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We paid you well, stop being so salty

I’m not being salty, was just replying to the dees supporter who was laughing at Crows supporters saying we just gave up our next captain.

I’m stoked with the trade. More beat up about Losing Cameron, and would have been the worst if it had of been McGovern.

Doedee is a jet in waiting and has an impeccable 1v1 ability, exciting to see him develop at AFL level next year. Also gives Keath more opportunities which I’m excited by as I went to school with the lad and he’s a top bloke.

Ok
The instant you mentioned Wagner your argument lost all credibility.

Okay so remove Wagner and the list is still daunting.

Deflect all you want by paying out your own players (as that’s always been the Melbourne way I.e. watts) but you’d be hoping to have locked most of them away in the first half of the year or it will be very nervous times for the MFC espically if you don’t make finals

Pretty much what I’ve been saying for months now, but what would I know. According to Melbourne fans I’m just a salty Collingwood supporter who has no idea about football and is salty we missed out on the second coming of Rance.

Never mind I’ve been saying I don’t want him at Collingwood the entire time :drunk:

Putting aside all the Crows vs. Dees banter, in all seriousness, I reckon Melbourne's best-22 is top-4 quality. Good blend of experience and youth.

Lever will be huge for the Demons, they can easily push for the top 4 and run deep into finals next year. The draft price to pay doesn't affect them right now, they have a premiership window in the next 3 years.

Right now, intercept defenders are the premier defenders in the game. The game has evolved from your typical 1v1 stopper.

Lever will be huge for the Demons, they can easily push for the top 4 and run deep into finals next year. The draft price to pay doesn't affect them right now, they have a premiership window in the next 3 years.

Right now, intercept defenders are the premier defenders in the game. The game has evolved from your typical 1v1 stopper.

So Valaustin and Grimes did nothing for you in the GF?

Geez you’ve got no idea if you think 1v1 defenders are no longer valuable.

So Valaustin and Grimes did nothing for you in the GF?

Geez you’ve got no idea if you think 1v1 defenders are no longer valuable.

Not really the conclusion I wanted to convey from what I said.
Intercept defenders are the premier defenders, the game has evolved from your 1v1 stoppers. That doesn't mean they are invaluable, it just means they are not the prized upper echelon of defenders as they may have been in years past. Nowadays, the most valuable defenders are those intercept players, who are critical to the way the game is played. That's why I don't think Melbourne got reamed in the trade, as the Lever type of defender is the most important type of defender in the current game.

There's a reason that Rance, Hurley and McGovern are considered the best 3 defenders currently.

Not really the conclusion I wanted to convey from what I said.
Intercept defenders are the premier defenders, the game has evolved from your 1v1 stoppers. That doesn't mean they are invaluable, it just means they are not the prized upper echelon of defenders as they may have been in years past. Nowadays, the most valuable defenders are those intercept players, who are critical to the way the game is played. That's why I don't think Melbourne got reamed in the trade, as the Lever type of defender is the most important type of defender in the current game.

There's a reason that Rance, Hurley and McGovern are considered the best 3 defenders currently.

Fair call, misinterpreted your post. Thought you were illuding to 1v1 defenders being of little value these days.

I hear what you say about intercept defenders being seen as the most valuable but if you look at Hurley, Rance and McGovern they are also all top notch 1v1 defenders.

Fair call, misinterpreted your post. Thought you were illuding to 1v1 defenders being of little value these days.

I hear what you say about intercept defenders being seen as the most valuable but if you look at Hurley, Rance and McGovern they are also all top notch 1v1 defenders.
Lever at 21/22 has a lot of time to work on his 1v1 skills, if that's his area of weakness.
I think Adelaide got a great draft return and will be able to add elite young talent, and I think Melbourne got a guy who's going to be a multiple All Australian defender.
If Adelaide draft well, or use those picks in a good trade for them, then it's a win win.

Yeah they weren't at the same stage though

Cheese platters and the snow for another year.
Why would you gloat about winning a trade and not making the finals?
Oh..................................................................................
Another year in the wilderness...........................................
In all seriousness Adelaide did really well but the Demons got a gun.
All those years of tanking- trying to develop your own talent- you should have just given up draft picks for other teams talent that had been developed.
Would have won a flag by now.
If you read back further you'll see it was a response to us being 'bent over in the Lever trade' to which I said Essendon got bent further for Hibberd so was not a gloat on the surface.
But now that you've thrown your 2 bob in, I'd much rather not play finals than sh*t the bed in the manner Essendon did this year :drunk:
And let's not start on tanking and by extension, cheating... You are Essendon FFS. The fact you were rewarded with a No.1 pick and a soft draw for finishing at the bottom after being punished for cheating is one of the bigger rorts going around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back