Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

I Didn't mention last weekend's game - That's irrelevant

Someone mentioned how rotten luck Lever has had with his injury

I agreed and said injuries are rotten luck

You came and decided to make a hero of yourself by posting stuff that wasn't true

You also missed Brodie Smith

No excuses - just posting facts

Whatever mate. Accept mediocrity at your club

Injuries against us..Doedee Douglas Crouch Hartigan

Our injuries, Lever Hibberd and Viney. We still only played 1 good quarter and beat you flogs.

Enjoy your excuses.

lt's ironic how you say "accept mediocrity at your club" when Melbourne have been below mediocre for how long?

I wonder whether Adelaide or Melbourne would have continued with the trade terms, given hindsight.

Adelaide - Definitely would do it again without any hesitation whatsoever. We got perfect trade conditions with a marginal piece (admittedly, a marginal piece with a shitload of potential), and already had a very solid replacement in the wings (one that may end up better as a loose defender then Lever seeing Doedee's first season isn't that far off statistically from Levers AA season).

Melbourne I'd picture would be a lot more hesitant if they knew the ACL was happening. That goes without saying though. Depends on what the long term plans is though seeing Lever wasn't about 2018, or 2019 as player. Loose would probably be much more hesitant. KPD wouldn't because the KPD he does project to be should he make it in that position is worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:
Adelaide - Definitely would do it again without any hesitation whatsoever. We got perfect trade conditions with a marginal piece (admittedly, a marginal piece with a shitload of potential), and already had a very solid replacement in the wings (one that may end up better as a loose defender then Lever seeing Doedee's first season isn't that far off statistically from Levers AA season).

Melbourne I'd picture would be a lot more hesitant if they knew the ACL was happening. That goes without saying though. Depends on what the long term plans is though seeing Lever wasn't about 2018, or 2019 as player. Loose would probably be much more hesitant. KPD wouldn't because the KPD he does project to be should he make it in that position is worth its weight in gold.

He was already playing KPD and was quickly becoming bloody good. He comes back in that sort of form and we’ll be laughing. Whole back six looked shitloads better with him in it - we only seem to have just reset, and the reset has Frost instead of him who is s**t by foot.

He was already playing KPD and was quickly becoming bloody good. He comes back in that sort of form and we’ll be laughing. Whole back six looked shitloads better with him in it - we only seem to have just reset, and the reset has Frost instead of him who is s**t by foot.

I'd agree with that, especially once he got out of his early season slump. Right now it sits as a comfortable win/win which isn't a bad place to be for a trade.

Looks like a win trade for Adelaide.

Replaced a player with dodgy knees for with Doedee and saved a heap of salary cap space.

Looks like a win trade for Adelaide.

Replaced a player with dodgy knees for with Doedee and saved a heap of salary cap space.
They replaced Lever with Gibbs and a pick in the teens this year. They will be doing well to call this a win long term. Looking at Ahern on the weekend players can come back strong from knee recos.

I reckon both sides would still do it.

Felt like Adelaide traded under duress at the time and would have preferred not to, and as disappointed as Melbourne would be with the knee injury, Lever still has plenty of good footy left in him.

They replaced Lever with Gibbs and a pick in the teens this year. They will be doing well to call this a win long term. Looking at Ahern on the weekend players can come back strong from knee recos.
All depends what they get for what will probably be around pick 12 from Melbourne this year..

At this point I’d rather have Gibbs and pick 12.... than a knee injured Lever..

Lever will come back from his knee in the second half of next year but given its his second, and how very easily it happened, you’d have to be worried that it could happen again sometime over the rest of his career.. it will always be in the back of jakes mind too, will it have an effect on how he plays moving forward?... only time will tell..

No matter what term it is looked at this trade is a win for us, seeing it allowed us to get another pick in a draft stacked with SA talent as well as lessen the damage in spending big to get what looked at the time as the missing piece to our side; all for a player who was a very minor piece to our side (as all loose defenders are). Us sabotaging ourselves by having the literal worst general manager and fitness staff stuffed up the first part so far, but providing we understand we need to sack them, we'll be fine.

The at worse for this trade is right idea and execution with the original trade, with the afterwards missing the mark as a minor negative. It was always the correct idea however. Even if Lever becomes the best player in the league, it remains the correct idea as it was primarily about maximising the short term whilst logically we were in a very good position for a premiership.

The long term is completely irrelevant to this trade, it was never about that.

Last edited:
All depends what they get for what will probably be around pick 12 from Melbourne this year..

At this point I’d rather have Gibbs and pick 12.... than a knee injured Lever..

Lever will come back from his knee in the second half of next year but given its his second, and how very easily it happened, you’d have to be worried that it could happen again sometime over the rest of his career.. it will always be in the back of jakes mind too, will it have an effect on how he plays moving forward?... only time will tell..
Lever and an early 3rd round selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahern had two.

So has Gawn.
Id be more concerned at just how easily Lever did his this time around.. ive never seen footage of how he did his knee the first time round (is it even the same knee?) but this time round it looked like he did bugger all..

Didnt even really see any real twist or pressure applied to make it happen..

Its gonna be hanging over the rest of his career.. what if he turns out being another Menzel type.. and just keeps doing them.

Id be more concerned at just how easily Lever did his this time around.. ive never seen footage of how he did his knee the first time round (is it even the same knee?) but this time round it looked like he did bugger all..

Its gonna be hanging over the rest of his career.. what if he turns out being another Menzel type.. and just keeps doing them.
Was a direction change. Pretty common in the scheme of ACLs.

Doedee is in his third year and has been developed exceptionally. I think every Crows fan would swap them if it weren't for bridges being burned, but he's a very handy replacement given he was drafted a few years back and has been out of the limelight.

Lever was a trade for the early 2020s, when he is at his peak, whether he was worth it will be contingent on whether he gets back up to speed and heals properly. He was impressive before he went down, and we have missed him big time.

They're not meant to be impact injuries, rumour is that his first ACL left his knee less than structurally sound. Its crucial that he gets it right this time and takes his time to recover. Don't mind if he misses time next season and has a slow recovery.

Doedee is in his third year and has been developed exceptionally. I think every Crows fan would swap them if it weren't for bridges being burned, but he's a very handy replacement given he was drafted a few years back and has been out of the limelight.

Lever was a trade for the early 2020s, when he is at his peak, whether he was worth it will be contingent on whether he gets back up to speed and heals properly. He was impressive before he went down, and we have missed him big time.

The big thing with Lever would be the wage demand for us. Lever at 450-500k and we most likely would seeing it's a comfortable loose defender wage (and I have my doubts we'd have moved Lever to the 2nd Kpd position). Lever at 850k and we wouldn't due to we're not really in a future planning stage (despite our off field implosion this season).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back