Recommitted Jake Lloyd [re-signed]

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jake Lloyd unhappy with contract offer according to Sam Edmund on SEN. What is his worth money wise and from a trade point of view? Quality player that I think the Swans would really want to hold on to.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I would take him in a heartbeat at the Lions, at 24 right in the age bracket we need and a severely under rated player. I would give up our future (2019) 2nd round selection for him.

His salary worth is hard for me to judge, 500-600K??

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Love him , GC(Essendon Or cats) this year second Rd .

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I have no idea how much truth there is in the suggestion the Swans are chasing Moore, but it beats me why they'd be offering decent money to a player like that who doesn't fill an obvious and immediate need on our list, and risk losing an ultra-reliable, structurally important player like Lloyd.

I'm not surprised by the news that the Swans aren't offering him a contract he's impressed with. Last time he re-signed there was a suggestion he was somewhat taken aback by the size of the contract on offer, and while I'm sure this one is a bit bigger, I'm not surprised if they're trying to low-ball him. I hope they come to their senses and offer him what he's worth, which I'm sure is at least around the $500k pa mark, given the recent salary cap rise and the consistency of his contribution.

He came second in our B&F last year, for crying out loud. So it's hardly as if his efforts aren't been recognised and acknowledged within the club.

Nah, that has to go as part of the package deal.
The last former rookie the Swans traded to us worked out well for a little while (Biggsy), so we'll have to make concessions.
You still owe us from Barry Round!

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's good.

Probably contrinutes more to the pies than Moore would.

We would ask for Lloyd+extras for Moore, but deep inside I would be happy with just lloyd alone.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He's good.

Probably contrinutes more to the pies than Moore would.

We would ask for Lloyd+extras for Moore, but deep inside I would be happy with just lloyd alone.
And more to the Swans than Moore would. I might be wrong in linking the two but I could understand Lloyd feeling put out with a miserly contract offer if the Swans then go out and secure a resonably high profile recruit.

And it’s not as if he plays a role that we have obvious replacements for. Indeed, he and McVeigh are the two primary architects of our backline exits, and the club is talking as though they don’t expect McVeigh to play on next year. Even if he does, he’s hardly a long term option.

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I have no idea how much truth there is in the suggestion the Swans are chasing Moore, but it beats me why they'd be offering decent money to a player like that who doesn't fill an obvious and immediate need on our list, and risk losing an ultra-reliable, structurally important player like Lloyd.

I'm not surprised by the news that the Swans aren't offering him a contract he's impressed with. Last time he re-signed there was a suggestion he was somewhat taken aback by the size of the contract on offer, and while I'm sure this one is a bit bigger, I'm not surprised if they're trying to low-ball him. I hope they come to their senses and offer him what he's worth, which I'm sure is at least around the $500k pa mark, given the recent salary cap rise and the consistency of his contribution.

He came second in our B&F last year, for crying out loud. So it's hardly as if his efforts aren't been recognised and acknowledged within the club.
500k?! A Melbourne club will offer 750-800k

Very important player for us, just keeps producing week in, week out and would be jumped at by any of the bottom clubs probably for good coin as they have spare cap space. No surprise he finished second in our B&F last year.

We are of course tight on cap space but if we lose Lloyd just because we're entertaining a player we don't need in Moore I'll be hugely disappointed, pissed off in fact. If it's Sloane who is in the pipeline I'll be pacified :)

Trade wise, lower clubs would happily part with a high teens/low 20s pick, particularly those with lots of picks like Gold Coast, Brisbane and Carlton have suitable picks to deal as well. But I don't want more picks or Moore, I want Lloyd!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Excellent player, but in the Swans backline he gets a pretty good deal with so many strong defenders and a strong defensive system making it easier for him to do what he does well which is rebound and kick the ball. Not convinced he'd want to leave unless there was a big discrepancy with the money and I'm not sure which other top team has the cap space and can trade for him. He's the perfect type of player who needs to hit free agency to really maximise his value.

Would you really do it?

I think Lloyd has really developed into a one of the elite HB's/wingers over the last few seasons. With all your contested ball winners he's perfectly suited to Sydney's style.
Pick 10 in this draft , yep

Lloyd is a good player but he isn’t damerging to point opposition sides even put work into him , like Clarkson did with Malceski or to this day laird , johanison etc etc

He lacks penetration in his kicking which doesn’t allow him to break the game open

We are a great defensive unit so I’m not sure he would get the allowance he does at another club

Great player at kicking it out the back and chipping side ways etc

Back