Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
What do you think his most significant ones are?

He's too worried about contact when marking the ball, and his kicking is far too up-and-under, and gives the opposition too much of a look in.

IMG_0999.JPG

The low rating here despite his high possession numbers is a reflection of the fact so many of his kicks were nothing kicks to contests, poor/pointless field positions, or outright turnovers.

Also the spilled marks and missed tackles.

Last edited:

In other words...players aren't perfect.
Funny how nobody is perfect, don't you think?

Agreed! Yet somehow folks found a way to turn a little mini-appreciation society of arguably our best, most-consistent performer this year into a critique of him :drunk:

Agreed! Yet somehow folks found a way to turn a little mini-appreciation society of arguably our best, most-consistent performer this year into a critique of him :drunk:

Losing is hard on the emotions.
Go to any club's board after a loss.

He's too worried about contact when marking the ball, and his kicking is far too up-and-under, and gives the opposition too much of a look in.

View attachment 355427

The low rating here despite his high possession numbers is a reflection of the fact so many of his kicks were nothing kicks to contests, poor/pointless field positions, or outright turnovers.

Also the spilled marks and missed tackles.
Was on display last night again

Turning the ball over and skies the limit high bombs
Could rack up 100 touches and an opposition coach still wouldn't tag him

Has turned himself into a gun. Sure he fires an blank every now and then (who doesn't) but at least he's giving 100% from start to finish. First bloke picked each week!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd's possessions aren't that damaging and he isn't the quickest player, but he runs all day - I notice he covers a lot of ground during games - and our coaches seem to rate this.

Those up and under kicks are frustrating, but just love his workrate

Must be leading or top 2 in the b and f right now
Generally feel he only does that when under pressure. I reckon if he played up the ground with more space his possessions would be more damaging, but at the moment he's very consistent in his role so no need to change it.

His brother Matty is able to be drafted this year. Apparently there is bigger hype on him than Jake at his age. I wonder if we're having a look?

Does he dive

His brother Matty is able to be drafted this year. Apparently there is bigger hype on him than Jake at his age. I wonder if we're having a look?

Correction. Not available until next year's draft. But sounds promising. Hope we are keeping an eye on him and his brother is in his ear.

Those up and under kicks are frustrating, but just love his workrate

Must be leading or top 2 in the b and f right now
Prefer the up and under kicks to the kicks directly to the opposition that some of his team mates can produce under pressure! At least we have a chance of retaining possession...

I can't believe we are actually discussing Lloyd.
For the first six rounds this year we had very little to be pleased about, with the improvement in Lloyd and Jones the only real bright spots.
He's no superstar for sure, but for a low pick in the rookie draft he's pretty bloody good if you ask me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back