Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
Would love for Lloyd's brother to be drafted. I know nothing about the kid (outside that article above) but always like seeing two brothers in the same team
Worked for the richards' didn't it? Or.....

Lloyd's possessions aren't that damaging and he isn't the quickest player, but he runs all day - I notice he covers a lot of ground during games - and our coaches seem to rate this.
I disagree with the assertion his disposals aren't that damaging. In fact I'd say, other than Newman, he would be our most damaging player as he sets up the defensive movement structure. He disposes at an average of 74.2% career and over 79.5% this year. Sure he makes some fluff ups that make us wince but the good far outweigh the bad. Ant player with those disposal efficiency stats is hurting the opposition. The other thing is his about ability to get free all the time is causing opposition coaches nightmares. Newman is proving just as illusive and is hurting opposition with a 78.2 DE.

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't believe we are actually discussing Lloyd.
For the first six rounds this year we had very little to be pleased about, with the improvement in Lloyd and Jones the only real bright spots.
He's no superstar for sure, but for a low pick in the rookie draft he's pretty bloody good if you ask me.
He's our leading possession winner so far this season at 79.5. That is pretty elite if you ask me. If the umpires have noticed him, defended often get overlooked by umpires, he would be leading our Brownlow count as well. Best player for us all year and still racked up a quiet 35 on the weekend.

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Elite disposal by foot & a future A-grader. Or so i've been told.

Reality:

1. C-grade footskills
2. D-grade football player
3. Pea heart who gets physically outmuscled in 99% of 1 on 1 contests

Have I left anything out?

Not only is he not elite but he is decidedly below average - which is saying something in a watered-down 18 team comp.

So for the sake of my own sanity, can we please put an end to the mindless comparisons between him & players like Jetta & McVeigh?

Things can and do change...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, he now turns the ball over on kick-ins as well.

Hes improved (hard not to) but still a bottom 6 player.
Big call. I'd be really interested to know who else is in your bottom 6 players along with Lloyd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back