Recommitted Jake Stringer [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

His time at Essendon was a rollercoaster, 2018 decent, 2019-2020 poor, 2021 decent to date. Never was good throughout a season though and his hamstrings mean his burst midfield stints is probably done and near decline. I wouldn't go more than 2 years if I were dodo and I wouldn't recommend chasing.

Other than injury this isn’t correct at all. His best season with us was clearly 2019 and he hasn’t been up and down really at all.

Take out the period when he returned fat/underdone from his ankle injury last season and Stringer has been a really consistent performer for Essendon. To be honest I’ve been a little disappointed as while it’s been good that he hasn’t played many bad games we haven’t gotten many big games from him either.

Other than injury this isn’t correct at all. His best season with us was clearly 2019 and he hasn’t been up and down really at all.

Take out the period when he returned fat/underdone from his ankle injury last season and Stringer has been a really consistent performer for Essendon. To be honest I’ve been a little disappointed as while it’s been good that he hasn’t played many bad games we haven’t gotten many big games from him either.
From what I saw of Essendon of 2019 he was 1 of many that gave up in games when things got tough. That's what I mean he was poor because much of the team of was poor that season.

Classic second half of a contract year type of performance. Hope he secures a 4 year bag on good money.

A very Motlop-esque performance. Do well against poor teams when the contract is up.

Should offer him rolling 1 year contracts. Would definitely play well more often.

Has played 2 good games for the year - V 17th placed Hawks and 14th placed Blues. Agree with the 1 year contacts - you would back him to return in terrible condition in the off season if they gave him 4. The sort of bloke that does things only to suit himself.

Has played 2 good games for the year - V 17th placed Hawks and 14th placed Blues. Agree with the 1 year contacts - you would back him to return in terrible condition in the off season if they gave him 4. The sort of bloke that does things only to suit himself.

Doesn’t play too many bad ones though. But yeah he’s 27, doesn’t look after himself that well and I don’t think other clubs are banging down the door to sign him.

last two offseasons he's come back fit as ever. And most recent injury lay off too

Really blew out during the 8 weeks/hub time off.
but then, didn't we all? :p

3 years i'm fine with.
takes him to 30

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentioned on OTC, he has finished once in the top ten BnF in his career.
Pretty damning.
If he wants 700k, and another club are going to pay, you should let him walk to be honest. You did quite well with Saad/Daniher etc leaving at the end of the year and have managed to just about refresh your list. Swapping out a guy who for all his talent can't quite get it together for another top pick could further help the list along.

Mentioned on OTC, he has finished once in the top ten BnF in his career.
Pretty damning.
Hard to poll votes when sitting out injured, did the top class talent who do hard research on classified mention that?

Sam Mitchell won the Liston Trophy playing 11 games. Polled 3 votes 10 times. Had an off day the 11th.

Not ever making top 10 is impressive. Id say Motlop managed. Mitch McGovern even.

Each club has different voting systems though. Essendon’s is heavily tilted towards games played.

That being said not being too 10 in the B&F is good proof that we shouldn’t over pay him.

Each club has different voting systems though. Essendon’s is heavily tilted towards games played.

That being said not being too 10 in the B&F is good proof that we shouldn’t over pay him.
Yep, ours get up to 30 votes (now 25, I think) as each coach rates every player who played out of 5. So you could conceivably have every player getting 30 votes every week if they’re all doing what they’ve been asked to do to the best of their ability.

20 games 1st year, 19 games 2nd year. I wonder how many in the top 10 played more than 20 games.

His best year was his 2nd full year. Got AA but interesting that Bevo didnt think he was that good.

Maybe we see a skillful flashy plauer but the coaches see someone who mostly does his own thing which only sometimes pays off.

Ie against 17th place Hawthorn and 14th place Carlton.

20 games 1st year, 19 games 2nd year. I wonder how many in the top 10 played more than 20 games.

His best year was his 2nd full year. Got AA but interesting that Bevo didnt think he was that good.

Maybe we see a skillful flashy plauer but the coaches see someone who mostly does his own thing which only sometimes pays off.

At Essendon he has been relatively consistent though just more a top 8-12 player rather than one of the best players in the side.

For 3 years now he has consistently hits the scoreboard and has been a part of our statistically best centre square set up.

Saying Stringer isn’t worth 800k a year doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player for Essendon. He does lack meat and potatoes to his game but the fact he is usually good for creating 1 or 2 goals a game from nothing makes him fairly valuable.

The narrative that he beats up on bad teams isn’t correct at all either.

At Essendon he has been relatively consistent though just more a top 8-12 player rather than one of the best players in the side.

For 3 years now he has consistently hits the scoreboard and has been a part of our statistically best centre square set up.

Saying Stringer isn’t worth 800k a year doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player for Essendon. He does lack meat and potatoes to his game but the fact he is usually good for creating 1 or 2 goals a game from nothing makes him fairly valuable.

The narrative that he beats up on bad teams isn’t correct at all either.

How is it not correct?

2018 Top 10 (Bold = more than 20 games)
1. Devon Smith 370
2. Dyson Heppell 360
3. Zach Merrett 335
4. Adam Saad 315
5. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti 295

6. Tom Bellchambers 281
7. Michael Hurley 280

8. Cale Hooker 276
9. Conor McKenna 268 *Played 18
10. Brendon Goddard 267

1 – Zach Merrett (427 votes)