Opinion Jamarra Expectation for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard to know what we can expect from Jamarra. I think we saw enough in his brief cameos in 2021 to see why he went number 1 in the draft. Obviously needs to add strength, weight and endurance that will come overtime. He will get some of that this pre season. Hoping for 15 to 16 games with solid contributions and a couple of really good ones.

12-15 games would be the number of senior games that we'd want, his only bad game this season in the seniors was his debut and that's because our forward line was all at sea.

I don't think he will set the world on fire.

It wouldn't surprise me if he had one or two really strong performances (five or six goal hauls) that shows his potential, combined with a few poor performances. That's actually a likely result. A 19-year-old key forward is rarely going to set the world on fire every week.

Lance Franklin's second year... I'm not expecting JUH to match this. But he could go close.

1635036482414.png

Just dedication to improving fitness and strength and the rest will take care of itself. Not sure of his living arrangements once he returns to Vic but hopefully he's able to live with the Bont or Dunkley, blokes that are ultra professional with training, recovery and fitness.

Not expecting him to set the world on fire, but his first goal should be making sure Mitch Hannan isn't picked ahead of him again.

Just dedication to improving fitness and strength and the rest will take care of itself. Not sure of his living arrangements once he returns to Vic but hopefully he's able to live with the Bont or Dunkley, blokes that are ultra professional with training, recovery and fitness.

Not expecting him to set the world on fire, but his first goal should be making sure Mitch Hannan isn't picked ahead of him again.

100 percent this. Bailey Smith also an ultra professional would be a great fit as well.

Just be consistent with his effort and work rate, his class will shine through naturally.

Bailey seems a 'work hard play hard type' which clearly works well for him. He needs his release because he is so overly obsessive about football that it would be detrimental to him if he didn't party here and there.

However, that doesn't work for every player and if you don't have the ridiculously high work ethic of Bailey, it's easy to forgo the 'work hard' bit and settle for the partying. So yeah, I'd want Jamarra with Bont or Dunks ahead of Smith.

JUH has a great opportunity early next year withBruce out. Big preseason I see him 30 goal + season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't surprise me if he had one or two really strong performances (five or six goal hauls) that shows his potential, combined with a few poor performances. That's actually a likely result. A 19-year-old key forward is rarely going to set the world on fire every week.

Lance Franklin's second year... I'm not expecting JUH to match this. But he could go close.

View attachment 1266777

That table indicates Buddy's second season started with his 21st game. JUH plays game 6 when he is first selected in 2022. He is way behind Buddy's development. Unless we start playing him every week to get the experience, fitness and physical hardness and accept that he is going to have some double doughnut games, he is going to start his third season with perhaps only around 12 games under his belt.

The problem is the long development theme doesn't fit in with the immediate Premiership window theme that's going around. If we think we are realistically chasing glory in 2022, we might be better off giving him games only when he has earned them in the VFL and dropping him back pronto if the form is not there. With Bruce out, alternatives like Schache, who may be able to go at 1-1.5 goals a game for 22 rounds might be the better punt.

If he's not playing every game bar injury, he's most likely never going to be a star. As a second year player Naughton was the number one key forward in a finals team, so there's no reason to think he won't be a 30 goal best 22 player next year. I think he'll add something to the forward line because he's much more of a threat on the lead than the other forwards.

If he's not playing every game bar injury, he's most likely never going to be a star. As a second year player Naughton was the number one key forward in a finals team, so there's no reason to think he won't be a 30 goal best 22 player next year. I think he'll add something to the forward line because he's much more of a threat on the lead than the other forwards.
I agree 30+ goals/15-20 games would be a good step in his development.

However we need to be cautious on comparisons with Naughton.

Astro had been playing against grown men as an 18yo and was already battle hardened. Jamarra has had a shortened 2021 season and vitually no competitive footy in his draft year. Needs to be cut a bit of slack.

They also look to be quite different types of player, even though both are tall forwards.

And a final observation - if you did the 2017 draft based on what we know now Naughton would go very close to #1.

Not sure what that means for JUH but to be fair the #1 draft pick seldom turns out to be the best player in the draft. He's just the best guess at the time. JUH's draft year was even harder because of the lack of recent form to assess them on in 2020.

With naughts and english playing forward the kid will have a good season if given opportunity. Give him the same opportunities that Hannan had and I think we will see him develop. There is no doubt the kid has x-factor, just needs to add that little bit of desperation to his game, especially from a defensive point of view.

I think he will be hungry after missing out on finals and have a massive preseason.... balls in his court at the end of the day!

The positive thing is he was having shots at goals even when he wasn't setting the world on fire.... He will turn out ok...but lets not compare him to Buddy, let him forge his own identity.

Hopefully not hearing about his lack of fitness keeping him out.

Should really be playing at least 15 games given an injury free run with Bruce on the sidelines. Will really depend on what we plan to do with Schache next year.

Hopefully not hearing about his lack of fitness keeping him out.

Should really be playing at least 15 games given an injury free run with Bruce on the sidelines. Will really depend on what we plan to do with Schache next year.

Lotta Instagram stories of him and Bont already training together whilst on holiday, if the kid has a head on his shoulders he'll follow the cap's example and put in a huge pre-season.

For me, every game until Bruce is back (if he is this year), kicks 30+ goals.
Sweet will play majority first ruck, leaving English and Naughton as two tall foil's for JUH to do his thing as a third tall, by the end of the season watch teams really put work into JUH because his become a weapon.

View attachment 1266777
I would take that in a heartbeat.
Buddy came into the system off good junior form, Marra came into the system off the back of an interrupted year.

He just needs to play as much as he can. The difference between his first game and his subsequent games shows he will learn fast. I'll cop his last quarter fade outs (not being physically ready) for the first 3/4s of him being dangerous and his development being fast-tracked.

Max and Ben King/Naughton are the modern benchmark.

First season all players just over a goal a game on limited sample sizes. This is about the average and is what is expected of an elite player. The guys who tend to be below a goal a game tend to be busts.

Naught had low 30s in his second season (first as a forward) and heaps more shots at goal than even buddy (freak show). This is extremely good and he was clearly an elite prospect as soon as he went forward.

Max is possibly the most comparable as he had his ACL in his draft year he was similarly interrupted. He missed his entire first afl season and played every game in his 2020 season kicking 22 goals 20 from 18 games.

This would be a good return but Jamarra played some footy last year so he may be slightly more advanced.

Ben King instantly had a massive role and opportunity at GC unlike Jamarras VFL plight in his first year. None the less in a s**t team so can be difficult for a key forwardd. Ben kicking 25 20 from 18 games in his second season is outstanding and probably a reasonable goal for Jamarra to reach.

So the answer? Probably somewhere between 20 and 30 goals hopefully between 1.3 and 1.6 goals per game depending on opportunity.

His magical tour around aus with bont is hopefully doing wonders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back