Opinion Jamarra Expectation for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I've said it before just consistency of effort and a healthy run at it with Naughton by his side. He'll walk into 30 goals if he plays the majority of the year.

Play every game in a mid-sized forward role. I dont really want to see him or Naughts as the long target, Id rather have the resting ruck doing that, with Naughts CHF and Marra on a flank.

It’s great that he’s spent time with guys like Bont and Dunkley over the break. His fitness seemed to be the big issue this year.

If he can run out a game now then I think he’ll play a lot, but we have Naughton, English, Schache, Bruce (late season) and Darcy who might all put their hands up to play time forward. If he gets a game every week he will be doing a lot right.

Last edited:
If his tank has improved as hoped there’s literally no limits on what he could provide next year - his effort is top notch, with the tank to do that all game he’s an asset at ground level already. And we know his ability to find the ball and find the goals so if he can keep presenting for 4 quarters I honestly have no limit on how many he could kick. 10-15 games and 10-20 goals wouldn’t surprise me, neither would 20 games and 40 goals.

I've been thinking about what his ceiling will be in 3-4 years time when his body fills out and is able to cover more ground.

Besides his height and aboriginal background Marra doesn't play anything like Buddy. Buddy excelled when the ball was on the ground. Using his strength, evasive skills and speed to fashion a shot anywhere from 70m out. Marra unique skill is his jumping & contested marking ( which Buddy avoided at all costs).

Unlike Buddy, Marra set shot action is a thing beauty. It's so efficient he is able to get easy distance with litte effort. Hopefully as Marra gets stronger he will be able to extend his range to Buddy levels with a better conversation rate. ezgif-5-c14c233851.gif

I haven't quite seen Marra do damage with ball in hand, beating a man or two using his pace or evasive skills quite like Buddy. Usually Marra will look to give it off by hand or fashion a quick kick in these situations. Im thinking this is partly due to his fitness levels and general comfort at this level. The one occasion where I sat back and went wow was the Adelaide game this year, when he did a quick spin in congestion and combined with a no look handball to a teammate to set up a goal. ezgif-5-46a743dea9.gif

Clearly there is still a ways to go for Marra but with his renewed focus on training I'm super excited for what 22' will hold for him as he has all tools in his kit bag. The rest will be on how much he wants it and natural improvements he makes.

I've been thinking about what his ceiling will be in 3-4 years time when his body fills out and is able to cover more ground.

Besides his height and aboriginal background Marra doesn't play anything like Buddy. Buddy excelled when the ball was on the ground. Using his strength, evasive skills and speed to fashion a shot anywhere from 70m out. Marra unique skill is his jumping & contested marking ( which Buddy avoided at all costs).

Unlike Buddy, Marra set shot action is a thing beauty. It's so efficient he is able to get easy distance with litte effort. Hopefully as Marra gets stronger he will be able to extend his range to Buddy levels with a better conversation rate. View attachment 1298606

I haven't quite seen Marra do damage with ball in hand, beating a man or two using his pace or evasive skills quite like Buddy. Usually Marra will look to give it off by hand or fashion a quick kick in these situations. Im thinking this is partly due to his fitness levels and general comfort at this level. The one occasion where I sat back and went wow was the Adelaide game this year, when he did a quick spin in congestion and combined with a no look handball to a teammate to set up a goal. View attachment 1298595

Clearly there is still a ways to go for Marra but with his renewed focus on training I'm super excited for what 22' will hold for him as he has all tools in his kit bag. The rest will be on how much he wants it and natural improvements he makes.
Yeah the Buddy comparisons have always felt dodgy to me

Unlike Buddy, Marra set shot action is a thing beauty. It's so efficient he is able to get easy distance with litte effort. Hopefully as Marra gets stronger he will be able to extend his range to Buddy levels with a better conversation rate. View attachment 1298606

I haven't quite seen Marra do damage with ball in hand, beating a man or two using his pace or evasive skills quite like Buddy. Usually Marra will look to give it off by hand or fashion a quick kick in these situations. Im thinking this is partly due to his fitness levels and general comfort at this level. The one occasion where I sat back and went wow was the Adelaide game this year, when he did a quick spin in congestion and combined with a no look handball to a teammate to set up a goal. View attachment 1298595

That’s suchhhh a nice play, I love little moments like that in a young players career where you can just see the glimpses of what they’ll bring. The clean one handed take into the spin into the no look handball, it’s just so smooth. Would be excited to see a young mid pull that off, considering it’s our 195cm contested marking beast of a FF….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that spin, draw and look-away give was a thing of beauty

I've got a really good feeling that Jamarra is gonna have a big season. He will give us heaps to be excited about. Amazing that we have three genuine x-factor forwards in Naughton, Marra and Weightman. It makes us so much more exciting to watch than when we just had no forward line and our scoring strategy was to lock it inside 50 until someone could kick a goal from stoppage.

Ugle-Hagan played 5 games last year and didn't play in the finals, despite the loss of Bruce. He is to improve because he's palled up with Bont and says he realises his need for hard work at training ? If he gets a regular game, he'll be doing well.

Ugle-Hagan played 5 games last year and didn't play in the finals, despite the loss of Bruce. He is to improve because he's palled up with Bont and says he realises his need for hard work at training ? If he gets a regular game, he'll be doing well.

It's pretty safe to assume that an AFL player will improve on his first year. Not many players peak at 18 years old. Playing 5 games as a first year player after missing a lot of time with multiple injuries isn't as bad as you're making it sound. Pretty hard to break into a Grand Final team in your first year, let alone when you've just missed the previous year of football due to COVID. Regardless of who he is hanging out with and how hard he's training, it's more likely than not that he will get better.

A Dogs first round draft pick playing a couple of games in his first year and showing promising signs, but then knuckling down over the summer and coming back ready to break into the firsts and stamp his name on a position in the 22? Never heard of it.

Pretty hard to break into a Grand Final team in your first year, let alone when you've just missed the previous year of football due to COVID.
Just to expand on this, it's even tougher when you're an 18-year-old key forward.

I always felt he was more Aaron Naughton than Buddy Franklin. Brilliant in the air and lightning quick on the ground.
Perhaps not quite the same 'attack' on the ball in flight (but nobody else is either) but a better set shot for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back