Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is the next big thing

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm all aboard the hype train.

Jamarra has got the "it" factor — the superstar anthropometry. Tall, long-limbed, high brachial and crural indexes. Explosive athlete with a soft touch.

A natural athlete who's got a sixth sense.

"Ugle-Hagan is the most unstoppable inside-50 threat that I've seen for his age." - Chris Doerre, ESPN.

He'll be a 50+ goal guy very quickly. Bookmark this thread.

Deadly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He certainly seems to be a once in a generation talent, like O'Meara Boyd Patton Jack Martin ect were.

Let the kid play first, please.

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
and how often is the number 1 draft pick actually the best player even in his own draft. Has a number 1 draft pick ever been the best player in the competition?
hodgey-1.jpg

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Luke Hodge and Nick Riewoldt probably would’ve been at some point in their career.

Both were very good no doubt, in fact they were great players, but it is very debatable as to whether or not either of them ever became the best player in the competition, especially when you consider they both played at the same time as guys like Judd, Ablett and Franklin.

piesaregreat

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Assuming he doesnt do an ACL in the preseason
He is yet to play a game
Unrealistic expectations have ruined many players careers
He is potential
As a number one pick hard to fail by saying he could be anything

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
and how often is the number 1 draft pick actually the best player even in his own draft. Has a number 1 draft pick ever been the best player in the competition?
Nick was widely considered the best in the comp in 2004 (at just 21yo), the year he took a record 256 marks, kicked 67 goals (from CHF), came 7th in the Brownlow, and did the almost unthinkable and won a major award, despite not playing midfield (the AFLMVP).

Last edited:
Premierships don't matter in this discussion, otherwise we would view David Hale as a better player than Tony Lockett.

They're not the be all and end all, but they're certainly a factor.

Premiership players tend to be better 'team players' (teams win flags after all) and star premiership players tend to stand up in the big/important games...also a good way of assessing the best players.

I agree with your assessment that Hodge was probably a top 10 player for much of his career, but rarely if ever the out and out BEST player in the comp....but 4 flags do still matter in assessing his career.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
They're not the be all and end all, but they're certainly a factor.

Premiership players tend to be better 'team players' (teams win flags after all) and star premiership players tend to stand up in the big/important games...also a good way of assessing the best players.

I agree with your assessment that Hodge was probably a top 10 player for much of his career, but rarely if ever the out and out BEST player in the comp....but 4 flags do still matter in assessing his career.

If anything I actually view the great players in poor teams a little more highly, someone like Nathan Jones who for basically his entire career was carrying Melbourne week in and week out, knowing that there was no hope of a flag or even finals and yet still putting in an amazing effort.

If anything I actually view the great players in poor teams a little more highly, someone like Nathan Jones who for basically his entire career was carrying Melbourne week in and week out, knowing that there was no hope of a flag or even finals and yet still putting in an amazing effort.

You play to win. (and ultimately, to win premierships)

To win you need a good team.

Your contribution to making your team better is a significant part of what makes a good/great player.

Jack Reiwoldt for example.
Early career, he got a few Coleman medals and as such must be regarded as one of the best forwards in the comp.
Later career, he put the team first, and even though he kicked fewer goals than he could have, those around him kicked more due to his help.

Later Jack is the better player. (and that change is a substantial part of why he now has 3 flags).

Back